• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fidget has hurt her her foot - Update 16/05/13 - the plot thickens!

She's had surgery and now has a pin in her femur. She's home now, and is eating, drinking and being as naughty as ever. :love:

Hopefully she'll heal well and will relearn how to walk on it. She'll be back in for a check up and x-rays next week.

How she managed to fracture it in the first place I have no idea. She has my nerves ragged licking and attempting to nibble her bald leg!

Thanks for the vibes everyone.

The plot thickens!

I took her back for a checkup today with the famous (in the bunny world anyway :lol:) Aidan at Ashleigh vets.

The pin in her leg had moved and was protruding out too much. TBH it was causing a bump under her skin which I had noticed, but having never seen a shaven rabbits leg before, or knowing what it was supposed to look like after surgery, combined with the fact her skin looks healthy and the wound is healing perfectly, I wasn't aware that it was a problem.

Apparrently it's very unusual for the pins to move, as it should be embedded into the sold part at the end of the bone. He managed to push it down and she's going back in a week for another check.

They also noticed on the x-ray that she has a hip abnormality (unrelated to the fracture) which is either old or developmental. She has never had any difficulty walking or shown any symptoms with her hip/leg in the past with it, so I had no idea :shock:.

I have to restrict the size of her enclosure, which I have no idea how I'm going to do. She's confined to her cage which is about 5 feet by 2.5 feet but keeps running around :roll:.

I've been really worried because I'm going on holiday for two weeks in under a month. Normally my mother-in-law looks after her, and she's fine with feeding/cuddles/cleaning out, but I was worried that she might need a trip to the vets and that someone who isn't that experienced with bunnies wouldn't know the signs. I asked at the vets and they actually have a boarding service so she's booked in for a holiday at the vets for two weeks. The nurses there are lovely and I know she'll be well looked after :love:. My mother-in-law is so sweet that she even offered to pay :love:.

Aww poor wee thing. I hope she feels better soon and she will soon be free of all these issues. A year ago my housebunny Orla developed a limp in her front paw and was in so much pain that she began to bite at her shoulder causing a nasty wound. It wasn't itching and there were no parasites so she was x rayed and had an ultra sound scan but there were no breaks or fractures or anything. To this day we don't really know what it was but a dose of metacam for two weeks sorted it and she has been fine ever since. Rabbits an be really difficult to diagnose some times.

Aww poor wee thing. I hope she feels better soon and she will soon be free of all these issues. A year ago my housebunny Orla developed a limp in her front paw and was in so much pain that she began to bite at her shoulder causing a nasty wound. It wasn't itching and there were no parasites so she was x rayed and had an ultra sound scan but there were no breaks or fractures or anything. To this day we don't really know what it was but a dose of metacam for two weeks sorted it and she has been fine ever since. Rabbits an be really difficult to diagnose some times.

Thank you :D.

They are funny little creatures sometimes, aren't they?

The strangest thing is, she doesn't really seem particularly bothered. Apart from lifting up her foot, she's shown no signs of pain at all. Meanwhile I'm a bundle of worry and I even feel guilty that I've broken her even though I have no idea how she injured herself in the first place :oops:.

Well, I now have a bunny with a similar problem.....my Herbie!

He has been holding his back left foot up a bit when he runs. He is still running about and even jumping up on the sofa bed, but he is definately holding it up. I felt the two legs & feet to compare and I think I feel a wee lump in the bad foot. He is still eating and acting normal.

We have the vets tomorrow at 9.20am.

how bizarre! When Oscar had a broken leg it was very obviously broken but the xray only showed a break, when he went for his preop it had dislocated at the hip and I had no idea at all! :shock: There were no signs at all, he was even launching himself from the cat tree and climbing curtains :roll:

Hope you get to the bottom of this mystery

how bizarre! When Oscar had a broken leg it was very obviously broken but the xray only showed a break, when he went for his preop it had dislocated at the hip and I had no idea at all! :shock: There were no signs at all, he was even launching himself from the cat tree and climbing curtains :roll:

Hope you get to the bottom of this mystery

Thanks :D. I still have a happy bunny who likes to try and launch herself around, until she remembers that her leg doesn't work anymore. When I come in the room it's like "hello mummy, food please, I'm going to stand on my back legs, oops I forgot that leg doesn't work and I've toppled over" :roll:. The mystery is ongoing though. The pin has moved again, so the vet pushed it back down. He said it's the first time he's ever seen the pin move in any rabbit he's treated, which is a bit worrying given that he's a bunny savvy vet. The pin will have to come out, god knows when, 12 weeks maybe, and hopefully the bone will have healed. Her hip problem is something to do with the mieralisation of the bone - hopefully there isn't a bigger issue which will effect her bone healing.

So, we're on weekly checkups now. Fortunately she's a good traveller and we've been going on the bus :roll::lol:. I would probably attract less attention if I was carrying Justin Bieber around in a box, I was asked by the man who hands out the free papers, the bus driver, a woman on the bus and about 5 kids what I had in the carrier :lol:.

Back