• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fibrefirst

serenity087

Young Bun
What are people's thoughts on this?

I've been able to cut back on nuggets immensely now I've started feeding fibrefirst too and hay is going down much faster too!!

Mine have had it as their only dry food for about a year and a half now with no problems. I started feeding because of Smudge choking on pellets but it also helps Mini's cecal dysbiosis. :thumb: Mine have always eaten plenty of hay so can't really tell on that score.

I love fibafirst, it's a great alternative to normal pellets. The super-high fibre content helps my rabbit Barney's tummy, he has gut problems. It's particularly good because during his 'episodes' when his gut slows down and he won't eat much hay, I can give him a few extra (in severe gut slowdown, some food is better than no food, even if it's not hay) and know he's still getting decent levels of fibre to help his gut get back up to speed. Both the rabbits love the taste and Barney will nibble on them even when he's a bit off his food.

I've been wondering about this too. I tried it a while ago when Skye refused her usual offerings and it seemed to do the trick so I've continued to give them a few sticks on top of their usual pellets (usually one or two each but I don't know if they all eat it every day or not, I just know it's always gone :lol:) I have noticed better poos generally and lots of hay being eaten. Might just be my imagination but I think it can't do any harm!

I tried 2 of my indoor rabbits on it but they don't seem very interested. They sniff and walk away.

Hi

I have been using fibafirst for months now and Smudge has had less bouts of stasis and uneaten or loose caecals. Seems to be good for him..

Fee xxx

I love fibrefirst - when Sheldon starts humping Holly's head in the evening - I throw some in and he stops :thumb: Mind you - I think I've now taught him that humping Holly gets him food - hmmm - ah well- as long as Holly's head is left alone I don't care to be honest.

Arthur and Elsie have a couple of fibafirst sticks at bedtime. They love them. They will eat pellets out of the same bowl and eat the same plantain leaf, but they take their supper off to opposite ends of the run to munch :lol:

I'm thinking about switching my girls to it as their sole food. They had it as a treat originally and now have it in place of about half their nuggets.
Mack gets the odd piece since it's an easy way of giving him extra food, but he really needs something more fattening as his main food.

I'm thinking about switching my girls to it as their sole food. They had it as a treat originally and now have it in place of about half their nuggets.
Mack gets the odd piece since it's an easy way of giving him extra food, but he really needs something more fattening as his main food.

Just so you know, the nutrition content is pretty much the same as normal adult pellets, so if he has those at the moment the Fibafirst would be fine as his main pellets. But as they are so much lighter than normal pellets it is easy to not feed enough, so I'd weigh them so you know how many to feed. A handful for me is around 30-40g.

My boy Barney has bad weight-loss issues and he does well on them because the high fibre levels help his gut stay healthy, which then has the knock-on effect of his gut being able to absorb nutrients a bit better. I can also feed more of them without the weightloss that he usually has if I feed a lot of pellets - I know that sounds bizarre but more calories doesnt equal weight-gain for him because of the effect higher protein/higher fat, lower fibre foods have on the health of his gut. High nutrient foods don't work long-term for him, they make him worse.

Just thought if mention it incase it could help Mack.

Just so you know, the nutrition content is pretty much the same as normal adult pellets, so if he has those at the moment the Fibafirst would be fine as his main pellets. But as they are so much lighter than normal pellets it is easy to not feed enough, so I'd weigh them so you know how many to feed. A handful for me is around 30-40g.

My boy Barney has bad weight-loss issues and he does well on them because the high fibre levels help his gut stay healthy, which then has the knock-on effect of his gut being able to absorb nutrients a bit better. I can also feed more of them without the weightloss that he usually has if I feed a lot of pellets - I know that sounds bizarre but more calories doesnt equal weight-gain for him because of the effect higher protein/higher fat, lower fibre foods have on the health of his gut. High nutrient foods don't work long-term for him, they make him worse.

Just thought if mention it incase it could help Mack.
Unfortunately it takes him 45 minutes to eat the regular pellets we feed him at the moment (very slow eater). He has to be split from the girls for the extra food so the less time the better.
We're going to try switching him on to a grower pellet that someone recommended in another thread but that's really good to know if that doesn't work. Thanks for taking the time :wave:

I feed a combination of fibafirst, excellent pellets and that other "compete" food that's mostly hay (nature's something?)

Nothing is as popular as pellets but I like to give them a variety. I often think I probably overfeed them but Jasper has lost weight since I adopted him (he was too chubby to jump on the sofa and now he's up and down like a nutter) and they have normal poos and they love their hay, so it works for us.

My boys have about 2 fibafirst sticks each in the afternoon, then in the evening they get about half an egg cup of their normal SS pellets :)

3 of my 4 have this permanently they love it, my other bun has problems so has soaked pellets otherwise he'd be on them too

I think Merlin is just an odd bun as anything that is good for him he doesn't have interest him, I brought those fibrefirst sticks a month or so back, give him a couple he's not even interested just sniffs + walks away, I always end up throwing them out when I clean him as he's taken them off somewhere to make me think he's eaten themLOL

Back