• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fatty boom boom

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
OK I just got a big lecture from my new vet about Honeys weight which we've struggled with for some time.

She gets 2 small plates of herbs and veggies a day along with unlimited timothy hay and around 15-20 excel pellets every three days, she'll also eat grass and weeds from the garden. We were told by our old vet this diet was fine however Honey sometime had a mucky bum and was 3.4kg in weight. I found out that my dad had been giving her and Roly half an oatcake before bed so asked him to stop this a few months ago.

Our new vets says she'd prefer if Honey were between 2.5 and 2.8kg which I think she was when we first got her. However she also says she'd expect Honey to lose only 1% of her body weight each month. By my calculations it'd take her about a year to reach 2.8kg from the 3.28kg she's at now. Does this sound OK?

We've been told to offer different types of hay and to limit things like root veg, cauliflower and brocolli. Honey's always been quite good at eating hay but the vet says that offereing different types will give more nutirents as they can be picky about the actual hay they eat. She also said that Honey shouldn't get more than 20g of pellets a day but she doesn't even get this every week.

It's looking harder and harder to actually find a daily meal that Honey can have without her being a great big fatty. I've actually taken away all the commercial treats aside from the dried weeds type ones.

I had this problem with my giant bun (sadly rip now) last year. We ended up completely cutting out pellets as she just ended up massive no matter how few we gave. We gave her ad lib hay, a small of grass, and one piece of veg a day. She also got a pinch of low fat rabbit treats, but in a treat ball, so she exercised as she got them. We also gave her access to a mineral block, to make up for the lack of pellets. It worked a treat and got her down to her ideal weight.

Thank you for the reply tasteofchaos, did you have your girl spayed at all? My old vet said that spayed females tend to fill out a bit.

I'm currently on the hay experts website buying:

Meadow and Orchard hay
Chamomile Herbage
Hay with nettle added
Fenugreek Crunchies
Dried Plantain
Dried Dandelion

Not sure if I should skip the oat hay.

While i'm at it how many treats like the fenugreek crunchies would Honey be allowed a day if she was on a diet?

No, she was booked in for her spay but she passed away very suddenly before she could have it done. My spayed buns in the past havent put weight on after the op, so in my experience its more of an individual thing, some just keep weight on more easily than others.
She always loved hay so just gave her the same stuff my sheep get, but with others that are more fussy I have got a couple of types, nice smelling ones with herbs in, and offered a variety. I also find, if its possible, they eat it much better if you put it in in small ammounts regually, they love the fact that its 'new' (even though theres nothing wrong with the stuff in the cage, just like the dog and water!) Obviously if you are going out for the day you would have to put a days worth in, but in the evenings maybe just try putting a small ammount in and topping it up every hour or so.
I've never fed those treats so don't know about ammounts.

I have a lionhead weighing in at 2.85.Shes a big girl.She has pellets daily and greens/veg and the garden.
Perhaps I should drop out the carrot crunchies but she loves them and she loves me to give them to her.

We tend to pop fresh hay in about 3-5 times a day. She is very good at taking hay thankfully.:D

you can see the difference though with Honey.

When we got her
P1010771.jpg

Now
honey100.jpg

:oops:

Is she an indoor rabbit. Doughnut is indoors and only weights 1.1kg although it's a good weight for her as she's a very small mini lop. Since she's been outside in her enclosure when it's a nice day and I'm round, I find she exercises a lot more. Indoors she tends to run for a bit but then can't really be bothered, outside she's bouncing all over the place on the grass so maybe more exercise will help too.

She has an egg cup of SS pellets, bramble leaves, unlimited hay and some dill every day. I don't feed fruit or veg as she had a bad tummy and got gas. Never fed the crunchies, are they a treat similar to pellets?

Doughnut is spayed and I don't think it made any difference. She's not skinny by any means and her bum looks big, but she does sit on it a lot begging.

If I gave Elsa that she would be skin and bone, she gets around 100g of pellets a day and is 1.6kg. Funny how different buns have different requirements!

Doughnut stays a steady weight on this but if she eats more pellets she eats less hay. She used to have two egg cups but since she got ill and I changed her diet to one, her poops are so much bigger. It's just what works with each individual bun I guess. She would love more pellets though, far more exciting than boring old hay :)

Are the crunchies good or are they just equivalent to pellets?

Honey is an outdoor bunny who spends most of her 6 hours of free range time a day digging. Its definately not from a lack of exercise which makes things all the more strange.

Back