• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO Those Who Have Experienced a Choking Rabbit

Hmmmmmm, has anyone had issues with any other food I wonder :?

Julie had her worse choking episodes with small pieces of hay. She was normally a very fast eater and did not slow down when she had a bad tooth with deep roots that the vet could not remove. That being said her first choking episode and more frequent ones was with her pellets but the hay was worse because a larger amount wound up getting caught as she was trying to swallow large amounts of the small pieces without a lot of chewing. Scattering pellets at first seem to slow her down but the best solution ended up being soaking the pellets. Same with the hay and only buying long pieces of hay.

^ This thread has saved Maple's life twice. If I hadn't remembered seeing it a little before the first incident so that I knew where to look she may not be here now :(

I know this is an old thread but just in case it helps anyone else, Maple has choked twice on Science Selective adult pellets (there's a chance it might have been a piece of dried pineapple the first time but we're 98% sure it was a science selective pellet. The second time it definitely was.) She's a greedy thing and will stuff as much in her mouth as she can fit in :roll:
Since then I've put her (and all the others) onto Fibafirst instead and have had no problems :thumb:

Aside from being very greedy Maple has never had any health problems, no respiratory issues and no dental issues. She's very healthy :D

I wondered about soaking them but didn't know if grinding the pellets does actually help grind down the teeth at all or if it's it's just hay/grass that does that. Does anybody know?

Eating hay/grass requires a rotational jaw action which provides optimum dental attrition. Eating pellets just requires an up-and-down jaw action.

A healthy adult Rabbit can cope perfectly well on a pellet free diet as long as they have a wide variety of hays, grass, forages and some fresh herbs/leafy greens.

Eating hay/grass requires a rotational jaw action which provides optimum dental attrition. Eating pellets just requires an up-and-down jaw action.

A healthy adult Rabbit can cope perfectly well on a pellet free diet as long as they have a wide variety of hays, grass, forages and some fresh herbs/leafy greens.

Great. Over the summer months they mainly have forage I collect so they rarely get pellets anyway. I've been very put off by pellets so think I may go for a dried forage as a supplement. You create your own don't you Jane? what is yours made up of? Do you not feed pellets at all?

My late conti Dillon once choked on SS pellets - my blood ran cold it was dreadful. He had no other health problems and was not a dental bun x

Back