• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye ulcer (update 1.6.21)

nap91

Mama Doe
Britney's been put on two sets of eye drops for her ulcer; Remend gel and chloramphenicol antibiotic drops.

The advice label on the antibiotics says to give them half an hour after the Remend gel, which I've been doing, but when I googled something earlier, I noticed lots of other bun owners have been told to do them the other way round or the antibiotic can't penetrate the eye properly. I'm now wondering if the label has been written incorrectly as her eye doesn't appear to be getting better and actually looks redder/more weepy than it did at the weekend.

My vets are shut so I can't ring and ask until tomorrow, but was just curious if anyone here knows in the meantime?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about bunnies as I only ever had to give Mimzy fake tears to help his dry eye, but my Yorkie gets about 5 different eye meds several times a day and the basic order is always drops before gels. These meds often do make the whites of the eyes red and irritated for awhile but if no improvement in ulcers is seen after around 5-7 days, that's cause for a reevaluation.

Generally I'd use drops before gels but check with your vet when they open. I'd rather be certain, personally, before changing up order of meds.

I hope you'll see some improvement soon. Ulcers of the eye are nasty things and painful. Vibes being sent. xxxxx

I agree with mimzmum. My bunny is being seen by an ophthalmologist, who has always advised drops before gels. So we give our bunny her steroid drop before giver her the gel optimmmune

Double check with your vet as they will be able to advise.

From experience, I’ve found that Winnie’s ulcers took some time to heal- but this is because her’s were quite complex. Hopefully Britney’s will heal in a week.

Thanks both. I will ring up but I think I just wanted some confirmation so the vet doesn't think I'm crazy :lol:

She just looks so sad and I feel awful for her :(

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

Britney couldn't even open her eye today :cry:
Just taken her back to the vet and unfortunately her ulcer has doubled in size since Saturday :cry:

She's got an urgent referral to Optivet so hopefully they will contact me asap.
The positive is that she's eating well still but her eye looks so sore :cry:

I'm sorry that must be very sore :( I hope you get a quick appointment with Optivet.

Oh I’m glad she’s going to Optivet, that’s where my rabbit went. Once they’ve got the referral just call them and ask for an appointment, that’s what I did! They’re very friendly. We are currently seeing Dr Natalia, and are likely to see Rob Lowe for Winnie’s second appointment. They’re really great, Britney will be in good hands. I’m sorry you have to go through this x

Oh I’m glad she’s going to Optivet, that’s where my rabbit went. Once they’ve got the referral just call them and ask for an appointment, that’s what I did! They’re very friendly. We are currently seeing Dr Natalia, and are likely to see Rob Lowe for Winnie’s second appointment. They’re really great, Britney will be in good hands. I’m sorry you have to go through this x

Thank you that’s really good to know! I’m glad you had a good experience with them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Whitney, only just caught up with your thread, I hope she gets seen soon and the vets can help her. Sending vibes for your girlie and a gentle nose rub for her x

Sadly eye ulcers in bunnies are harder to heal. I do hope Optivet can help. Perhaps a little rabbit safe oral antibiotic therapy if indicated?

Vibes coming your way for bunny eye healing. xxxxx

Just got back from Optivet. They are not concerned and said it seems to be healing. There is a corneal scratch and ulcer which looks to be quite superficial so should continue to heal with time, all being well. The vet thinks it could possibly be where a piece of hay has gone in and scratched the eye or possibly a scratch from a nail.

The eye drops are being upped to 4 x daily and she will be seen back next week. A positive update [emoji3526]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back