• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excessive Drinking - New Bun

I got a rescue bun a while ago. His first symptom was excessive thirst. Unfortunately he had kidney failure.

Paws crossed it's not that. Maybe it's new/tastier hay making him thirstier?

Good lord, I don't think I could cope with another EC bun! Well, I say that I don't think I would cope...but I suppose I would just have to! I will be watching!

To be honest - Bobo is not a problem at all with his EC. He just drinks and pees loads and carries on as normal. He hasn't responded to treatment so we're just monitoring him now but he is the same happy kookie boy he always was (with a good healthy dose of grumpiness) thrown in. It's possibly an easier type of EC to deal with if I'm honest.

But with your boy it could be anything - rabbits do these things because it's great fun seeing their hooman beans worry - well that's one of my theories anyway :lol:

Aye, I thought warmer and stressed. He is eating really well, and eating a ridiculous amount of hay. Poos are fine. I think I will keep an eye over the next few days and speak to the SPCA again if needed.

Could it be that he loves the hay you are giving him, perhaps prefers it to the hay he had at the rescue, and maybe because he's eating so much hay his water intake is high?

Boots eats a lot of hay, and has always drank a lot too, and he's fine :thumb:

My girls binge when I give them their favourite hay and then drink a lot of water during this time.
Neither seem to have any health issues.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My girls binge when I give them their favourite hay and then drink a lot of water during this time.

Yes, the more hay a Rabbit eats the more they tend to drink. Lord H is on a hays/dried forage only diet and he has always drunk a lot more water than any of my other Rabbits.

Sounds like the ultimate healthy diet for a rabbit:

Hay + Water :D

(or in my case ... grass!)

So you're not so worried about your water meter (if you have one) then! :lol: Mine do drink loads more in winter when they're practically living on hay, but summertime they drink a lot less :)

I don't have a water meter :lol: But there again I pay an awful lot in water rates :shock:

Yeah, I have to water the grass to keep up with supply and demand :roll:

Back