• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess Cecos

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Hello,

So as you may know, we lost my little Ivy on Friday.

I’ve been giving Leafy all the love…although he gives me lots of attitude. Feet flicking, tail wagging and yesterday I was doing my thing and he nipped my toe. I don’t force myself on him at all, I just sit with him and watch/read/paint. Whatever. He has always been sassy.

Anyway that’s not the question, this is: I came home from work and he had some excess cecotropes near him. I offered them up and he wasn’t interested. Admittedly, he might have had an extra treat or two over the last few days. I’m also still adjusting to changing to feeding one rabbit, so he might have had a bit extra forage/pellets than he should.

Should I try to get him to the vet ASAP? He’s drinking, eating and pooping (not cecos) as normal. I think it sounds like it could be diet, but I don’t want to make the wrong judgement.

Sounds like he has just had too many treats and pellets. Cut out all treats and just feed hay water and a tiny portion of pellets. Things should settle down in about 48 hours.

I'm sorry Ivy had to go. Personally I'd not go to the vet yet, make those few dietary tweaks & see if it settles down

Thank you guys, I thought as much and wanted to avoid extra stress of a vet visit.

I’m normally really strict with their diet but I think I’ve just been trying to make up for things and give him a few happy moments since what happened.

Got a delivery of various new toys for him today so that’ll be good!

Back