• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

escaped rabbit in Dunipace/Stirling area - would appreciate opinions

My friend spoke to the security guard at a nearby building site, he says the rabbit has been there close to a year and has had litters in the past.

I'm now questioning how fair it would be to trap her and expect her to live as a domestic rabbit. Although she sits near a road it's not a very busy one and there is plenty of cover up there. We've been trying to capture her for over a week now and failed miserably.

Don't all rush to advise us at once... :?

We've spoken to folk at Fairly Beloved Rabbit Rescue and their opinion is that if she's been living wild for close to a year it'd be cruel to trap her and expect her to live as a pet. There is at least one other domestic coloured adult up there and last night a baby was spotted as well (matching the markings and colour that Stewart seen a few nights ago). There is clearly a group of them up there and they've all managed to avoid the live trap that was set for 24 hours and checked every 3.

We'll keep an eye on them and maybe drive up there with some hay and stuff when the weather turns bad this winter.

Aww, if she has been out for that long and has survived then she has probably found somewhere safe (not saying it was a good idea to release her, just that I can see how it would be unfair to trap her now after a year of wildie-life). You did your best and if she got through last winter that didn't seem to end until april, there is a good chance she will be ok again. Just a shame her fur makes her and any babies stand out :(

Sorry not on here as often as I used to, I agree with bunny and everyone else at FBRC.
She's done well if she's had a few litters as well, maybe she's been accepted by a coloney or something?
Still couldn't hurt to lay down some forage or hay if the winter get's harsh.
:)

It's a tough one, but if you can't catch her then you don't have many options anyway. If you've seen more than one it's possible it's a 'wild' group with some pet genes in it and even she might be offspring of a wild/domestic or was born wild rather than released herself. A year is a long time for a pure domestic to survive.

Back