• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emergency overnight stay

0XBunnyta

Warren Scout
My bunny is currently at the emergency vet staying the night, not sure what’s wrong with her but we’re thinking it’s the GI route as nothing seems to be out of the ordinary otherwise and her only symptoms are ‘quiet’ and not eating.

Please can you share your stories of overnight stays? I’ve rang twice and each time the receptionist has had to battle to get an update from the vet, to then relay the message to me whilst being busy herself, it’s kind of awkward so I don’t have any idea what’s happening treatment wise or diagnostics wise other then she’s settled and still not eating (since around 11am this morning).

I know they have given her IV fluids, pain meds, gut stimulant, some sort of injections and there was also mention of a blood glucose test for obstruction, again not much being comminicated to me since I don’t think today is a normal clinic day and is more emergency based.

Any advice?

My bunny is currently at the emergency vet staying the night, not sure what’s wrong with her but we’re thinking it’s the GI route as nothing seems to be out of the ordinary otherwise and her only symptoms are ‘quiet’ and not eating.

Please can you share your stories of overnight stays? I’ve rang twice and each time the receptionist has had to battle to get an update from the vet, to then relay the message to me whilst being busy herself, it’s kind of awkward so I don’t have any idea what’s happening treatment wise or diagnostics wise other then she’s settled and still not eating (since around 11am this morning).

I know they have given her IV fluids, pain meds, gut stimulant, some sort of injections and there was also mention of a blood glucose test for obstruction, again not much being comminicated to me since I don’t think today is a normal clinic day and is more emergency based.

Any advice?

I am sorry that your Bunny is poorly. It must be additionally stressful for you not to get full updates as to what is going on. But from what you have been told it sounds as though the Vet is giving all the appropriate treatment and that some diagnostics are on the agenda too.

I am assuming that your Bunny is fully vaccinated ie two separate vaccines to cover for Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2 ?

Sending lots of get well soon vibes xx

Any advice?

I'm so sorry hear that your bunny is having to stay in as an emergency.

Although it does sound like your vet has all bases covered, I can well understand you want to know how things are going. When my rabbits have been in overnight, and the staff are busy, I ask them when I should ring back for a calmer explanation of everything that's happening.

The other thing I have done, is to actually go to the surgery and I have been able to see my rabbit and take herbs etc to stimulate appetite. This might not be possible for you, but I think at the very least they should give you a time when they can hold a conversation with you. What you need is to speak with the vet who has been treating your rabbit, so you will need to know when that vet will be going off duty so as not to miss the update.

Good luck, I hope all goes well xx

I am sorry that your Bunny is poorly. It must be additionally stressful for you not to get full updates as to what is going on. But from what you have been told it sounds as though the Vet is giving all the appropriate treatment and that some diagnostics are on the agenda too.

I am assuming that your Bunny is fully vaccinated ie two separate vaccines to cover for Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2 ?

Sending lots of get well soon vibes xx

Yes she is, she had her top up last weekend, then two weekends before that for the other. Do you think it could be anything to do with that or just a coincidence?

Yes she is, she had her top up last weekend, then two weekends before that for the other. Do you think it could be anything to do with that or just a coincidence?

Well it can be that some Rabbits feel a bit rough after a vaccination, rather like we may do if with have a Flu Vac. But I would have expected that to have occurred within about 48 hours of having the vaccination, not a week later. I'd flag it up with the Vet when you finally get to speak with him/her. Perhaps Bunny was incubating an illness at the time of vaccination and so her immune system was already under challenge. This is all just speculation on my part though and probably not very helpful. Her current malaise may have nothing to do with the vaccinations at all.

I assume the Vet checked Bunny's teeth and also checked for signs of infection- ie checked her temperature, checked her bladder/urine, checked her ears ?

Well it can be that some Rabbits feel a bit rough after a vaccination, rather like we may do if with have a Flu Vac. But I would have expected that to have occurred within about 48 hours of having the vaccination, not a week later. I'd flag it up with the Vet when you finally get to speak with him/her. Perhaps Bunny was incubating an illness at the time of vaccination and so her immune system was already under challenge. This is all just speculation on my part though and probably not very helpful. Her current malaise may have nothing to do with the vaccinations at all.

I assume the Vet checked Bunny's teeth and also checked for signs of infection- ie checked her temperature, checked her bladder/urine, checked her ears ?

Yes teeth been checked three times this month with all the trips 😂 always says their perfect. She did a full basic examination with me in the room before I left her, so eyes, ears, heart rate, gut sounds, stomach palpations. They checked her when she had each vaccination too and couldn’t find anything underlying but maybe it was something where she needed blood work etc... I brought up the vaccine but she just pondered it for a second and continued, so don’t think she was under the impression it was anything to do with that but you never know.

Wondering if maybe it was a Christmas toy I’ve brought in that’s caused a little blockage, she has a willow Christmas tree, sea grass Christmas dinner set (and a snowman wooden block that they’ve totally ignored so no danger there), all from pets at home but shredded by now. They’ve been working on the toys for a good couple weeks already though so seems strange something could pop up today after all this time. I mean my other ones moulting, could even be stasis from fur ingestion. Guess we won’t know till tomorrow mornings update 😖

Yes teeth been checked three times this month with all the trips 😂 always says their perfect. She did a full basic examination with me in the room before I left her, so eyes, ears, heart rate, gut sounds, stomach palpations. They checked her when she had each vaccination too and couldn’t find anything underlying but maybe it was something where she needed blood work etc... I brought up the vaccine but she just pondered it for a second and continued, so don’t think she was under the impression it was anything to do with that but you never know.

Wondering if maybe it was a Christmas toy I’ve brought in that’s caused a little blockage, she has a willow Christmas tree, sea grass Christmas dinner set (and a snowman wooden block that they’ve totally ignored so no danger there), all from pets at home but shredded by now. They’ve been working on the toys for a good couple weeks already though so seems strange something could pop up today after all this time. I mean my other ones moulting, could even be stasis from fur ingestion. Guess we won’t know till tomorrow mornings update 😖

Do you know what the result of the blood glucose test was that the vet took?

No, no idea what the test came back as :( On the phone she was focusing on gut movement and eating, which leads me to believe they know it’s GI stasis and haven’t mentioned any blockage. Again, I was talking to the receptionist who was very polite and reassuring but I want to know specifics :lol: Before I left her they said they would look more into it because she wasn’t sure at this specific time. Just spent the day googling stuff and asking for advice to make sure they’re doing everything right... rabbit savvy tho so I have high hopes, just nervous and like to ask and make sure they’ve done this and that lol probabaly not told me for their own sanity

I’m really sorry your bunny is poorly [emoji17] I really hope she starts to feel better soon.

My bunnies have had to stay overnight at the vets before. It’s quite a busy hospital and I can completely empathise with your frustration in trying to get updates. My overriding memory is spending a lot of time on hold and anxiously waiting for call backs from the vet!

You should hopefully get an update from the vet sometime this evening and again in the morning. It’s just so hard not knowing what’s going on as you just can’t help picturing the worse.

Sending lots of vibes for your girl and I hope you get a positive update soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be completely unconnected, but have a look at this recent thread posts 54-58. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?474286-Small-poops-always-stasis/page6
Lisa's Beauty has had tummy problems and had been munching on a similar rabbit toy. As I say it might not be the same cause at all, but I thought you would be interested to see.

Sending lots of vibes for your rabbit.

No, no idea what the test came back as :( On the phone she was focusing on gut movement and eating, which leads me to believe they know it’s GI stasis and haven’t mentioned any blockage. Again, I was talking to the receptionist who was very polite and reassuring but I want to know specifics :lol: Before I left her they said they would look more into it because she wasn’t sure at this specific time. Just spent the day googling stuff and asking for advice to make sure they’re doing everything right... rabbit savvy tho so I have high hopes, just nervous and like to ask and make sure they’ve done this and that lol probabaly not told me for their own sanity

I'm glad your vet is rabbit savvy :D

Some info on stasis, if you want to make a list of things to ask when and if you speak with a vet tonight.

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

Many apologies if you know all this .. Just trying to help cover all bases for you x

So, I called first thing this morning and she said she’s pooped over night but still not eating. The vet does the rounds in the morning and will call me around midday to see if she ate for them then... as she’s spent all day yesterday and night at the vets on IV, do you think at home treatment could be the next step? They want to keep her in until she’s totally fine but I know with stasis that can be a while and I’m comfortable administering medicines/ assist feeding. Feel like I can buy every kind of herb and her favourite foods and really coax her at home rather than just pellets at the strange vets? 😕

So, I called first thing this morning and she said she’s pooped over night but still not eating. The vet does the rounds in the morning and will call me around midday to see if she ate for them then... as she’s spent all day yesterday and night at the vets on IV, do you think at home treatment could be the next step? They want to keep her in until she’s totally fine but I know with stasis that can be a while and I’m comfortable administering medicines/ assist feeding. Feel like I can buy every kind of herb and her favourite foods and really coax her at home rather than just pellets at the strange vets? 😕

I think you're right, after a certain stage of vet medication they can begin to feel better in their home surroundings. You could ask the vet about it, as some vets don't realise that the owner is willing to put in the work (lots don't).

So long as she is off the IV fluids and they don't intend to continue sub-cut then I would definitely suggest it :)

Back