• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emergency abanded bunnies found

The other 3 bunnies I think I will be keeping. I found out that one of them is a Harlequin and said to be quite rare but I expect there not as rare as google says... I'll have to think of some names for them.

I assume you know the genders of the two you have sold if you are selling them to the same person un-neutereded ?

Harlequin the fur colouring is not rare

Harlequin the Breed of Rabbit is not too common in Pet Rabbits.

You won’t get one pure breed Harlequin in a litter of mixed breed kits.

Regarding Coccidiosis I don't think any of my bunnies have it however I would still not rule it out. None are displaying symptoms of Corridiosis. I do have treatment on hand for Coccidiosis just encase an outbreak does break out. I have some Hakers Coxoid which can be used on rabbits but of course the dose will be different for bunnies and can be added to there drinking water or fed directly to them via syringe. I have all the doses written down as well. Hopefully I wont have to use it.

For now I just need to make sure they are eating enough and drinking enough fluids and I'll be keeping a record of there weight.

I have also found good homes for two of the baby bunnies in advanced, once they are 8 weeks of age they will be ready for there new home although I may give it about 10 weeks before they leave.

Treating everything at home is wrong. You are not qualified. You should not take animals on unless you’re prepared to pay veterinary costs.

I really hope you reconsider neutering and vaccinating prior to rehoming and rehome these rabbits responsibly.

Harlequin is not rare. This is all making for very uncomfortable reading.

The person who are adopting the other two will only get those two. They haven't been sold they are going up for adoption. The other 3 are staying with me for 3 months until further notice. I wont know there genders until the bucks develop then I will know who is male or female. I prefer to wait a while before I get them neutered, that way they are a bit stronger for when they have the operation. They will be getting there injections asap in January, however the Th people that are adopting the other two want to register them with there own vet.

Lacey and Lamb Chop are well over due to being spayed and neutered so they are first in the line for being neutered in January. The 3 kits will be next but in good time.

Last edited:
The person who are adopting the other two will only get those two. They haven't been sold they are going up for adoption. The other 3 are staying with me for 3 months until further notice. I wont know there genders until the bucks develop then I will know who is male or female. I prefer to wait a while before I get them neutered, that way they are a bit stronger for when they have the operation. They will be getting there injections asap in January, however the Th people that are adopting the other two want to register them with there own vet.

Lacey and Lamb Chop are well over due to being spayed and neutered so they are first in the line for being neutered in January. The 3 kits will be next but in good time.

Personally I could not rehome two baby Rabbits whom were

1 Unvaccinated
2 un- neutered

and the most incredulous thing of all, not even knowing what genders they are. What if you rehome a Doe and a Buck and the person buying/adopting them doesn’t realise until one morning they get the inevitable ‘ accidental Litter’ Worse still the Kits will come from parents who are siblings :cry:

…….and so the cycle of more and more Rabbits coming into the world continues :cry:

As this part of the Forum is available for public viewing my next remarks are directed to anyone considering Rescuing and Rehoming Rabbits. Good intentions might be your driving force, but unless you are fully informed about what Rabbit Rescuing really involves don’t take on something you are not equipped to cope with. Doing so sadly adds to the Rabbit Welfare problem rather than helps it .Ask for help from established reputable Rescues or established reputable online communities of experienced people who help co-ordinate the Rescue of Rabbits in need.

PLEASE PLEASE ONLY DO SO WITH GOOD BACK UP FROM AN ESTABLISHED REPUTABLE RESCUE

DO NOT, EVER, TREAT THE RABBITS FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS WITHOUT FIRST CONSULTING A VET

BOOKMARK THE RABBIT WELFARE ASSOCIATION AND FUND’s WEBSITE FOR UP TO DATE, WELL RESEARCHED, VETERINARY APPROVED INFORMATION ABOUT EVERY ASPECT OF THE CORRECT CARE OF RABBITS

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

People are too quick to judge others and make assumptions so I will type this as clearly as I can...

The home the two rabbits are going to is a good home.

The two rabbits that are going up for adoption wont be getting vaccinated or neutered by me.

The reason being is because there new owners want to register them with there own vet where they will get what they require. They wont be left to get pregnant or get ill. Again "the new parents are responsible pet owners" They would not let such a thing happen and neither would I.

I think some of the issues are they are being rehomed without knowing the gender, how can the new owner be sure they will get on ok if they are two boys or two girls?? The best pairing is neutered male and female. Granted, the 2 I rehomed together were boys but they were neutered very young before hormones caused any fights. It's a bit unusual some one would be willing to adopt some rabbits not knowing the genders and potential issues ie difficult bond or pregnancy.

I'm not going to lock the thread in case you need advice any time soon on how to raise and care for this litter.

Members here are passionate about neutering before rehoming because they've seen so many accidental litters as a result of mis-sexing. They've also seen lots of cases where adopters have promised to vaccinate & neuter, didn't bother and then end up with a litter or two themselves (which isn't ideal in any situation but especially so with sibling rabbits). But nobody knows the people you have lined up to adopt so, obviously you're the best person to judge their sincerity.

Having said that, I do also need to remind you all that we can give advice but we can't force people to listen. The point has been made so could we leave that topic there now please.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Thats fair enough.

I have explained that the bunnies will be neutered and that their new parents want to have them done at there own vet which I have no problems with. There wont be any accidental litters because as I've already said the people who are adopting the bunnies are responsible pet owners and I know them fairly well.

I appreciate all the advice.

Its a good job I rescued them because who knows where they would be or what would have happened to them. I just feel no matter what I do or say somebody will want to disagree and cause drama.

I have nothing more to add.

Back