• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elijah has had blockage surgery. . he's home!!!.

BB I am so sorry to hear Elijah needed surgery, but glad he has made it through. Many healing vibes on the way for him and hugs for you. xxxxxxx

Oh gosh, sorry to hear Elijah had to have surgery but so chuffed he's come through it okay and best of luck he heals alright and has no repeat episodes xx

Thanks again everybody for the vibes/good wishes.

I've just had the best ever of messages in that he's brighter than yesterday and he's even eaten a small amount for himself :love:

He needs to stay in for meds/syringe feeding, keeping him quite and comfortable but the signs are good.

I'm starting to believe I'll be bringing him home:love: I can't tell you how much I want to cuddle this rabbit. When I rushed him to the vets first thing yesterday I had a strong feeling he was a surgical case as his demeanour was different to when he has his many stasis episodes. He was really subdued and barely responsive, when he's in stasis he's usually shaking, feels tense to touch and moving about a lot ie flopping/stretching etc. His demeanour was much like Barnaby's when he had his blockage, with Barnaby's he didn't feel bloated to me (although Rosie, vet, said immediately that he felt bloated) Elijah felt round when I picked him up, he never has before. His blood glucose was just above 20 which I'm hoping means he had just reached critical and not been so for some time, which was the case for poor Barnaby. I cuddled Elijah so close while they were preparing to take him to X-ray as I convinced myself that was the last cuddle he would get from me. I was absolutely convinced I'd lose him yesterday.

I don't think the stricture found in his intestine really alters his prognosis any as we've known for 6 years that he's prone to this and 4 years ago when he had his previous blockage surgery that the odds were stacked towards it happening again, I guess 4 years before it happened is quite a long time in the scheme of things. I think I'm going to be a wreck every time he has stasis now though, knowing that the stuff passing through his gut may have difficult getting past the stricture (a section where the gut isn't as elastic as it should be so can easily get condensed and become a blockage). But... what was found isn't new and he's gone 4 years between blockage so I'll have to try and stay positive.

This is Elijah, for anybody who doesn't know him:

PICT3486.jpg

Last edited:
So pleased to hear a more optimistic update :) I hope that he continues to recover well and that he will soon be able to return home x

Thanks again everybody for the vibes/good wishes.

I've just had the best ever of messages in that he's brighter than yesterday and he's even eaten a small amount for himself :love:

He needs to stay in for meds/syringe feeding, keeping him quite and comfortable but the signs are good.

I'm starting to believe I'll be bringing him home:love: I can't tell you how much I want to cuddle this rabbit. When I rushed him to the vets first thing yesterday I had a strong feeling he was a surgical case as his demeanour was different to when he has his many stasis episodes. He was really subdued and barely responsive, when he's in stasis he's usually shaking, feels tense to touch and moving about a lot ie flopping/stretching etc. His demeanour was much like Barnaby's when he had his blockage, with Barnaby's he didn't feel bloated to me (although Rosie, vet, said immediately that he felt bloated) Elijah felt round when I picked him up, he never has before. His blood glucose was just above 20 which I'm hoping means he had just reached critical and not been so for some time, which was the case for poor Barnaby. I cuddled Elijah so close while they were preparing to take him to X-ray as I convinced myself that was the last cuddle he would get from me. I was absolutely convinced I'd lose him yesterday.

I don't think the stricture found in his intestine really alters his prognosis any as we've known for 6 years that he's prone to this and 4 years ago when he had his previous blockage surgery that the odds were stacked towards it happening again, I guess 4 years before it happened is quite a long time in the scheme of things. I think I'm going to be a wreck every time he has stasis now though, knowing that the stuff passing through his gut may have difficult getting past the stricture (a section where the gut isn't as elastic as it should be so can easily get condensed and become a blockage). But... what was found isn't new and he's gone 4 years between blockage so I'll have to try and stay positive.

This is Elijah, for anybody who doesn't know him:

PICT3486.jpg

What a lovely photo BB :love:

I am glad the update is more optimistic now :)

He's quite a lot brighter now and eating quite a bit on his own.... and done a reasonable amount of poops :D:D

He doesn't seem stressed at being at the vets (well, it is his second home, why should he?!)

He's a little trooper, isn't he? :love:

He's quite a lot brighter now and eating quite a bit on his own.... and done a reasonable amount of poops :D:D

He doesn't seem stressed at being at the vets (well, it is his second home, why should he?!)

He's a little trooper, isn't he? :love:

Poor Elijah .. I really hope he continues his good recovery :D

HE'S HOME!!! :D:D

Just 48 hours after major surgery and 7 years old, what an amazing recovery:love:

He ate a little only about 5 minutes after coming home.

Back