• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eeek, is it the dreaded Myxi?

Jack's-Jane said:
All I can say is what I would do (totally unqualified opinion) I would keep the Buns together. The stress of being alone may put even more of a strain on an already challenged immune system.

I'm sure thats what lost us Smokey so early in his fight :cry:

Sorry this isn't better news for Squiffy, really praying that you can pull her through this :)

I am so very sorry to hear Squiffy may have myxi.

I have lost several rabbits to myxi over the years. But I also had one who just had the atypical (I think its called that), form and she survived.

I have never separated my rabbits at the outset - only when they became very poorly and very intensive nursing was required.

I may be wrong (someone please correct me if so), but myxi itself is spread by fleas etc - so unless the culprit is jumping from one rabbit to another, its unlikely to be passed on. However, when the snuffly stage kicks in - maybe that is another matter? (Mine still had contact even then).

Oh, when I say I have lost several rabbits - they were not bonded rabbits i.e. not rabbits that caught it from each other - but individuals over the years.

Fingers so very crossed on this one for Squiffy.

Fingers crossed for you and Squiffy, I really hope he pulls through ok.

Squiffy said:
I've read online that a vaccination must be 10% subcutaneous - to be honest, the vet injected so fast i wouldn't have noticed the needle going in twice. Are they pretty quick at doing that do you think, so much so that i wouldn't notice?

In response to your question I would say no to be honest - it is important that the vet injects the 10% intradermally and this is usually at the base of the ear and it's very obvious when the vet does this as it goes into the skin but only just below the surface and is a very delicate injection to carry out.

Hmmm...

Another day and still no further developments. The sores are now scabbing over and even look like they're getting a bit better :), but no further sores or bumps seem to have appeared since i first found them on Tues. Also her genital swelling appears to have gone down some.

Again, i'm not counting my chickens just yet BUT i really am wondering if this could be a reaction to the vaccine as it is such a coincidence of Squiffy having had her very first vaccination jab?

Thanks for the continued support and advice, I'll keep in touch.

H x

Squiffy said:
Hmmm...

Another day and still no further developments. The sores are now scabbing over and even look like they're getting a bit better :), but no further sores or bumps seem to have appeared since i first found them on Tues. Also her genital swelling appears to have gone down some.

Again, i'm not counting my chickens just yet BUT i really am wondering if this could be a reaction to the vaccine as it is such a coincidence of Squiffy having had her very first vaccination jab?

Thanks for the continued support and advice, I'll keep in touch.

H x

Its good news that Squiffy has not developed any more sores. Maybe your Vet could contact the vaccine manufacturers and ask their Veterinary Support folk if Squiffy could be having an unusual reaction to the vaccine.

I'll be keeping the positive vibes heading Squiffy's way :)

Janex

Still no more sores on Squiffy and all healing really fast or gone. I'm so so pleased and now more convinced it was just a horrible reaction to the vaccine. We're back to the vets for a check up on Monday and I'll let you know the outcome, also Jane, if there is any response re the vaccine manufacturer i'll let you know for future reference.

Cheers all and yay! xx

Hi

Have just seen this thread. I've thankfully never had a bun with myxi, so don't have any advice - just wanted to say I'm sending vibes and keeping my fingers crossed for you and Squiffy. It's great that there's some improvement - hope it continues :D

Great news!

I'm just back from the vet and they said no need to keep giving Squiffy the Baytril. It's all cleared up nicely in under a week! Hurrah! The vet is calling the vaccine manufacturer tomorrow to ask about this having been a possible reaction / had they heard of this before. I will let you know what she says.

She also said it was unlikely bunny syphallis as that wouldn't clear up quite this quickly.

Thank God for that, i'm so pleased my lovely Squiff didn't have to go thru full blown or even the atypical strain of myxi. We are very lucky!

In celebration I'm just about to let her and her freinds have a good old stretch of the legs around the garden. No doubt Squiffy will do her usual thing of breaking thru the hedge into the horses field, seeing the entire world in front of her and running for all her might! Never out of sight tho and she always comes back thankfully :)

Hopping good news huh?

Hazel x

Squiffy said:
Great news!

I'm just back from the vet and they said no need to keep giving Squiffy the Baytril. It's all cleared up nicely in under a week! Hurrah! The vet is calling the vaccine manufacturer tomorrow to ask about this having been a possible reaction / had they heard of this before. I will let you know what she says.

She also said it was unlikely bunny syphallis as that wouldn't clear up quite this quickly.

Thank God for that, i'm so pleased my lovely Squiff didn't have to go thru full blown or even the atypical strain of myxi. We are very lucky!

In celebration I'm just about to let her and her freinds have a good old stretch of the legs around the garden. No doubt Squiffy will do her usual thing of breaking thru the hedge into the horses field, seeing the entire world in front of her and running for all her might! Never out of sight tho and she always comes back thankfully :)

Hopping good news huh?

Hazel x

Thats BRILLIANT news!! :D :D

Janex

Final update but inconcusive...

The vet just called. She spoke to the vaccine manufacturers Nobivac and they said a reaction is unlikely due to their particular type of vaccine and have not had reports of this before. They are putting the case to their board or something for future reference.

They said Squiffy's problem may have been completely unrelated or that she may have been incubating a mild form of the disease and the vaccine or the stress of going to the vets brought this out? I think that's unlikely but who knows?

I still think for the sores and swelling to have come and gone before a week is out is a bit odd and not like any atypical myxi i've come across before.

But really all that matters now is a happy and well bunny and that's what i've got - hurrah!

Thanks for all the advice and feedback received - i hope this is useful reference for someone else one day!

Hazel x

I would be surprised if a vaccine manufacturer would put their hands up to any reaction. Good news that Squiffy is doing okay.

Back