• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Easy clean carpet?

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
We thought we'd give rough lino a try, but it looks like Poppy has had a little muscle loss in the hind-legs, which I'm guessing is probably because they don't like the lino very much, so haven't been using all the space available to them as they used to. We had stable mats before that, but they were hard to keep clean.

Is there an easy clean carpet option that bunnies get on well with?

I suspect that anything easy to clean will be tough on their hocks and feet. If they don't chew rubber, you could try some of the washable door mats / runners. Some are nice and soft with a cotton plush, rather than the harder pan scrub type ones. Or beach mats - like split bamboo with a cloth binding round the edges? Although they could get chewed.

The other thing is something like empty duvet covers or old curtains (try the local charity shops). Easy to wash. Use bricks etc to weight the edges down.

Mmmmm...I don't think theres any easy solutions but I am happy I got my Ikea rug which does need regular cleaning cos of piddle pants Eddy. I just put neat white vinegar on the stain then sponge the area with warm soapy water. Probably twice a week. The rug is faring well a year in though & was pretty cheap. Its deep enough for good traction & Eddy says no where near as easy to dig up than the wall to wall carpets upstairs. Previously we just had a series of rugs, fleeces, duvet covers & blankets - I found these much harder to clean than the spot cleaning I do now

I use washable rugs in the bits they hang about in, they're pretty good and they love how foamy they are!

The lino is just beneficial for the litter tray/hay sweeping properties.

Would office type carpet squares be any use, do you think?

There's just something about carpet fibres that seems to rub against their feet, I thought. When I had indoor bunnies we ended up having to put picnic blankets down, that were at least washable. Seemed to help with the sore hocks.

Mmmmm...I don't think theres any easy solutions but I am happy I got my Ikea rug which does need regular cleaning cos of piddle pants Eddy. I just put neat white vinegar on the stain then sponge the area with warm soapy water. Probably twice a week. The rug is faring well a year in though & was pretty cheap. Its deep enough for good traction & Eddy says no where near as easy to dig up than the wall to wall carpets upstairs. Previously we just had a series of rugs, fleeces, duvet covers & blankets - I found these much harder to clean than the spot cleaning I do now

Oh, which IKEA rug do you have? Fudgie and Scipio have some large rugs in their playroom and they have absolutely shredded them. So I'm looking for some pretty hardy rugs to put in the areas that get attacked the most in the hope they might hold out a bit longer than the current ones have.

Oh, which IKEA rug do you have? Fudgie and Scipio have some large rugs in their playroom and they have absolutely shredded them. So I'm looking for some pretty hardy rugs to put in the areas that get attacked the most in the hope they might hold out a bit longer than the current ones have.

Stoense. Eddy has barely bothered on the destruction front with it (though he is gettng better generally & has always focussed primarily on office / spare room carpet.
However i make no guarantees. I do like the sound of rabbits that chew together. Apart from the time my trio chewed my walls (incl Mouseypie) I've never seen them working together on a project. it sounds fun

Stoense. Eddy has barely bothered on the destruction front with it (though he is gettng better generally & has always focussed primarily on office / spare room carpet.
However i make no guarantees. I do like the sound of rabbits that chew together. Apart from the time my trio chewed my walls (incl Mouseypie) I've never seen them working together on a project. it sounds fun

Great, thank you! I'm sure they'll enjoy the challenge of trying to destroy that!

Blooming typical bunnies though. They have more toys than Santa's grotto but they like to spend their time shredding rugs and carpets and ripping the wallpaper off the wall! Oh and Scipio has recently discovered the joys of gnawing the buttons off my duvet covers so the duvet now spills out the bottom. Cheers for that!

Wanted to come in with a quick update on this. I thought I'd give the carpet tiles from Temu a try, and I think they're working out fairly well. They're machine washable, and I've just washed them for the first time, and they haven't disintegrated, so that's a positive :D

We set them down on top of the lino, they feel pretty good underfoot and the buns were pretty quick fans! I do think they need to sit on top of something like lino, because things will seep through and stain things like floorboards. I have kept washable rugs in the high wearing areas because they're quicker to swap out and clean.

Downsides are that they kinda get sucked up by the hoover, and they aren't really compatible with an office chair!

So in terms of bunny flooring, it's worth considering if anyone else is trying to find a decent all rounder.

https://www.temu.com/uk/12pcs-foam-...2g&refer_page_sn=13771&_x_sessn_id=wqn7sk6fb3

I buy 3 or 4 carpet cut offs online, big enough to cover half a room, works out about £15 to £20 a roll. Flat rate of £20 delivery, that's why I buy so many. They last about 2 to 3 months. I can't get Bella litter trained so accept it's pieces of carpet that regularly get pooed on.

I buy 3 or 4 carpet cut offs online, big enough to cover half a room, works out about £15 to £20 a roll. Flat rate of £20 delivery, that's why I buy so many. They last about 2 to 3 months. I can't get Bella litter trained so accept it's pieces of carpet that regularly get pooed on.

does she pee in the tray?
I got similar issues, disabled bun that uses the toilet, fit & healthy one that won't

Back