• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E cuniculi

Hi all (very new, just joined today!) so, my daughter and I have 2 house rabbits (sisters Hazel & Willow- both lop eared, Wills is a lion head lop) at the end of November Hazel was shaking her head and scratching her ears so we took her to our local vets- she was diagnosed with an ear infection and given drops to use at home. We finished the course. No more shaking head or scratching- yay!!
Christmas Day evening she had developed a head tilt, we were out with family at Boxing Day but when we got home that eve the head tilt was still obvious and she was stumbling a lot. Our vet was closed due to it being Sunday, I called a local 24 hour emergency vet hospital the next morning and got an apt for that afternoon (£95 just to get an apt might I add!!!) I am a single parent living on disability benefits following a huge stroke several years ago so I’m not flush with cash but was willing to go over my overdraft to get Hazel the attention she needed. My mum suggest I try the PDSA (our local one being in Brighton) I checked the eligibility and I got an apt. Due to ‘rona we couldn’t go in but we sat in my mums car and the vet called once she was examined. He diagnosed E Caniculi and wanted to start her on fluids and keep her overnight. My daughter (11) was distraught but we knew it was the best place for her. The vet promised to call that night to let us know how she was. Aside from chewing through her fluid line in her ear 3 times (typical Hazel!!) they had started to administer panacur. She ended up staying in for 3 nights and we were able to pick her up yesterday afternoon. She still has a severe head tilt and rolls a bit but she’s already getting stronger and getting up quicker and staying up for longer. She’s eating and drinking well and we’re keeping her rear end clean and dry. Both rabbits are usually free roaming in my daughters bedroom but we’ve set up a small ex-pen for her with puppy pads and blankets/towels and changing them regularly as she’s not able to get to a litter tray as usual. My main concern is how is best to wash the blankets and towels so we can reuse them- temperature/cleaning products? I don’t want to risk reinfecting her or not fully killing off the parasite?! We’re trying our best to keep them separated at the moment for fear of infecting Willow (if she’s not already)though they are sniffing each other through the bars! We know there is still a chance she may not make it but we’re remaining positive, giving her the daily medication and feeding her up to give her strength. Any info or positive outcome stories greatly appreciated, please!!xxx

Did the Vet also prescribe a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Metacam ? This is essential to address the inflammation within the CNS, it is inflammation that causes clinical symptoms. If EC was not confirmed by PCR blood testing most Rabbit Savvy Vets also prescribe a covering antibiotic to address the possibility of a middle ear infection, which can cause the same symptoms as EC.
EC is mostly spread by ingesting spores excreted in an infected Rabbit’s urine. It is therefore wise to give Panacur to any Rabbits who have been in contact with the symptomatic Rabbit.

A 10% bleach solution will kill EC spores as will steam cleaning. This disinfectant is suitable too.

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/anigene...MIsKDg4Znf7QIVkZntCh3CzwRkEAAYASAAEgLmTfD_BwE

If you are on Facebook I recommend joining this group which offers support and advice to people caring for Rabbits with Head Tilt

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers

Well done little Hazel, I'm pleased she is making some progress. I'd echo what IM said re metacam & getting your other bun treated with panacur too. I just wash bedding on 40% with biological detergent. EC if left in the environment stays active longer when it warm so as an added precaution you could set cleaned bedding aside somewhere really cold for a few days. Sometimes EC bunnies are too poorly / unstable to cope with their partner but aside from this I'd personally keep them together for emotional support (with your other bun on panacur too)

I hope she continues to put up a good fight. Please keep us posted

What Jane said...

Metacam (or similar NSAID) and Panacur daily for 28 days. Also treat companion rabbits with Panacur at the same time.
Antibiotics in case it's not EC.
Properly disinfect everything that has had contact with urine on days 21 and 28 of the Panacur cycle in order to break the infection cycle, as the parasite is spread in urine (floor, walls, bowls, toys, bedding, etc) and dispose of eg hay.
As well as the disinfectants already mentioned, you can steam clean (eg carpets) and use Virkon (readily available as powder or tablets) on hard surfaces and in the washing machine - check the fabrics will be OK first (fleece & towels should be fine). Puppy pads are also useful to protect the floor and reduce the re-infection risk as they are disposed of when soiled.

Last edited:
Youve already had amazing advice from everyone re panacur, NSAIDs and antibiotics but I'd like to echo what J&B said about keeping buns together as you'll be needing to treat both anyway and the emotional support for the bun who has head tilt can really help with recovery.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back