• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E cuniculi and kidney damage

benjiboom

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, I haven't posted here in about 3 years! But looking for advice.
We had to take Rosie to the vets on Thursday as she had stopped eating, the vet did some blood tests and checked teeth etc, but nothing showed up , and then she started eating again yesterday and passing poops.
So we took her home yesterday afternoon, this morning however she had trouble moving, and fell over a few times , also her back end was wet, so took her back to the vets. The vet has done x Ray's and found that there is kidney damage, maybe a large stone in her kidney, and he thinks the other kidney may be damaged too but can't tell yet, and he said she has e cuniculi!
I don't know what to do, Rosie is a rescue rabbit, she had a really bad life before we got her, and gets so stressed, and I don't think she will tolerate all the medication , she only now tolerates us stroking her.
At the moment she is at the vets and very quiet.
Any advice welcome.

I'm sorry to hear Rosie is unwell. I would suspect one kidney must have some decent function for nothing to show on bloods . What is your vet recommending? Personally I'd want to see if you can get her EC under control - improve her gait & mobility & see what her Q of L looks like. The mort frequently used drugs for EC tend to be metacam & panacur - both I've found easy to medicate on food as they are palatable so she might not need to much hands on care. I think owing to her nature I'd take things one step at a time & review regularly. Were the kidneys white on xray?

I think I would want to discuss things in more detail with the vet. It appears from what you have posted, that he's not sure how to interpret the x-rays. I would ask him specifically if he can actually see a stone in her kidney and what is the other damage that the other kidney may have. It does seem odd that the bloods were normal, especially if both kidneys are affected. Also I would ask why he thinks she has EC. What treatment is she receiving at the vets?

Sending lots of vibes for Rosie.

I'm sorry to hear Rosie is unwell. I would suspect one kidney must have some decent function for nothing to show on bloods . What is your vet recommending? Personally I'd want to see if you can get her EC under control - improve her gait & mobility & see what her Q of L looks like. The mort frequently used drugs for EC tend to be metacam & panacur - both I've found easy to medicate on food as they are palatable so she might not need to much hands on care. I think owing to her nature I'd take things one step at a time & review regularly. Were the kidneys white on xray?

Thankyou for your reply. The vet said it looks like a stone in her kidney? I haven't seen the x ray, but he was unsure if the ec has caused the trouble in her kidney. She had the triple vaccine on monday morning, and the vet said it could be that the vaccine has lowered her immunity and triggered the ec?
She is still in the vets , she had a GA this afternoon to take the x ray, so she is still recovering from that.

I think I would want to discuss things in more detail with the vet. It appears from what you have posted, that he's not sure how to interpret the x-rays. I would ask him specifically if he can actually see a stone in her kidney and what is the other damage that the other kidney may have. It does seem odd that the bloods were normal, especially if both kidneys are affected. Also I would ask why he thinks she has EC. What treatment is she receiving at the vets?

Sending lots of vibes for Rosie.

Thankyou. He said it looked like a large stone. I was surprised that the blood tests were ok too!
Rosie was falling over on her back legs, and unstable on her feet, and all her fur was urine soaked. He said that he thinks the problem with her kidney has come from the ec?
Risie is still in the vets, and she hasn't started the treatment for the ec yet as she us still coming round from the anesthetic that she had for the x ray. She is being given pain relief , fluids and anti sickness medication.

Sending lots of healing vibes to Rosie!

I agree with Joey&Boo that both Panacur and Metacam/Loxicom are well tolerated when added to soggy pellets, so I'd give it a go to see if Rosie tolerates that better. My bun Illy detests being handled and meds have always been a struggle, but since putting it in her food things have been much easier.

How old is Rosie, roughly? Illy has also been stumbling and falling over, but panacur didn't do anything to help sadly as we don't think EC was the root cause. Hoping you have better luck with it!

Back