• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dylan and Darcy's bonding thread

anachronism

Young Bun
So the time I have been dreading/looking forward to is here! It has been nearly 8 weeks since Dylan was neutered, Darcy still has another couple of months before my vet will spay her but she will be spayed asap. Iwas going to wait until after she was spayed to bond but due to various reasons I decided it is better they are bonded sooner. This will be no doubt where I whittle about every little thing :roll::oops:

I have started off letting them meet for small periods of time on neutral ground (downstairs loo) It has, touch wood gone without incident, bar a little bit of nipping from Dylan the second time they met. Tonight I had them in there for half an hour and in that time I saw little bits of grooming from both of them, a few times. Darcy did a flop next to Dylan but I think she started him and she got up again straight away. Both have groomed themselves sat next to each other. They have both been sat nose to nose facing each other and side by side. Dylan was snuggling into her, seemed miffed when she moved aww.

So this seems good? The next stage I'm thinking is a dog crate in the living room so that I can watch them easier (I can sleep on the sofa so I'm nearby should it kick off.)

They will be going in the room Dylan is in atm, going to give everything a clean with white vinegar. Thats the bit I'm nervous about as it is currently Dylan's territory. I guess I need to play it by ear. Would you keep up with the dates for a few more days? or start the always together in the crate part

Awh. It all sounds so cute.

I took things really slow with my girls but we had a lot of trouble for the first month or so.

If you're feeling confident I'd say go for it and try to avoid separating them unless there is a big fight that kicks off.
Make sure you don't separate when little Darcy goes for her spay.

I think it tends to confuse the bunnies if you stop/start meetings so I would put them together permanently. As the room where they will be living is Darcy's it is less likely he will behave territorially when they move in - I mean you could almost put them both in there now, boys don't get as funny as girls over their space. But that is up to you as you know them better. I am feeling confident that everything will go well :thumb:

I have put them in a crate in the living room, put them in about ten minutes ago they are sat side by side munchine hay! Will probably take it slow because its going to be harder to watch them when they are in Dylan's room (theres no where for me to sleep down there lol) Need to give it all a clean out first, do some smell neutralising just in case, then start them off just in the cage, then after a few days if all is well open the door full time so they can come out when they want. Will it be obvious if it goes wrong? I'm worried about when I move them downstairs that I may miss signs if I cannot be with them 24/7

It's usually obvious very soon if they aren't happy with another rabbit. If they ignore one another that usually is a good sign and don't expect any grooming, but if they are eating together then this is a good sign. Hope it goes well.

We set up a camera that watches our bunnies and can be accessed anywhere if you have wifi. Its a hubble camera - was around £60 and has been brilliant to have as could watch all their secret interactions which you don't normally get to see when in the room with them.

Well touch wood things still seem to be going ok, they are both sharing the water bottle and i'm going to move the litter tray in there. Both eating lots of hay, seen some snuggling

We set up a camera that watches our bunnies and can be accessed anywhere if you have wifi. Its a hubble camera - was around £60 and has been brilliant to have as could watch all their secret interactions which you don't normally get to see when in the room with them.

That sounds so cool! Will have to add that to the stuff I need list, would be so cool to watch them in their room when I'm not there :)

Still all good! Infact had the very heartwarming and brilliant sign of Dylan doing relaxed flops and Darcy giving his head a good wash. :love:
They are still stuffing their faces with hay :lol:
I am actually relaxed about sleeping, surely nothing will kick off now?

I doubt it did, they sound very happy together. :thumb:

YAY! I may move them downstairs sooner than the few days I estimated, would a problem with them being in what was just Dylan's cage yesterday and is to be their shared cage show itself quite quickly? Moving them downstairs where I can't always watch them is worrying me even though I'm pretty sure its going to be fine its just the leaving them out of sight.

I think it would be fine to just put them into the room where they will be living. As your female is still very young she hasn't become opinionated and they seem very happy. Or, you could leave them one more day where they are, just to be sure. I expect they will like having more space and if Dylan plays up in "his" room just tell him to behave!

I may take them down later on then :) thet had breakfast together, the small snag was that Dylan finished his breakfast faster and went and "helped" Darcy finish hers but there was no aggression they both had their heads in the dish at one point. It's also occured to me that I'm giving Darcy too much by giving her the same amount as Dylan - a shot glass full (why I have a shot glass I don't know, don't recall using it lol) so think I will try her on a bit less tomorrow

Update they are both in what is now their cage, was dylans cage- all cleaned out and wiped with white vinegar. No aggression but he did lay on her which worried me and he scared her a bit when he was doing mad cage circuits. I have come upstairs for a bit of supper after spending a bit over two hours with them and I'm wondering whether to head back down or whether to leave them and stop stressing (I'm a worrier!)

So I left them and tried to relax and not go bothering them. Went in this morning and no one seems scared they were both happily waiting for their breakfast! Will go and spend a little time down there later to observe make sure they are grooming, laying together etc. But I think it might be ok :) Going to leave it a few days until I move on to the next stage which is having the door open so they can come out whenever they want

Back