• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dust Free Hay American Timothy Hay - U/D with pictures

tainay

Warren Scout
Hi all, I've recently bought a 325g bag of American Timothy Hay from Bunny Bazaar which was made/bagged by the Dust Free Hay Company. On the DFH website it is saying that this American Timothy went though the dust extraction process so is dust free, but the bag I received was full of dusts/pieces at the bottom of the bag and made my furballs sneeze. I'm just wondering are there any of you guys buy directly from DFH and how about the quality, any dusts? I guess it might be repackaging problem or I'm just unlucky to get a dust bag? Thanks for your help in advance :D

Tainay xx

U/D Took some pictures of the hay. They are actually much greener in real life, just dusty. I've bought the Alfalfa King Timothy Hay before and that was really really dusty, this is better, but not much. Definitely much dustier than their normal range.

null_zpsaf8d19ba.jpg

null_zpsc99ba86b.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure it's not Oxbow/Alfalfa King Timothy?

Both of those brands have lots of dust, but I've never had a dusty lot from DFH (and I also wasn't aware they did bags, I've always had mine in cardboard boxes?:?)

I recently bought a bag of Alfalfa King Timothy Hay and while most of the hay is lovely, the bag is FULL of dust and bitty hay (I think from how it was chopped/compressed/packaged). I was going to write and complain, as it specifically says that it is dust free and it definitely isn't!

I buy direct from DFH. I buy the Stalky hay and there is very little dust in the hay. I buy the large bales, which are much more cost efficient.

Are you sure it's not Oxbow/Alfalfa King Timothy?

Both of those brands have lots of dust, but I've never had a dusty lot from DFH (and I also wasn't aware they did bags, I've always had mine in cardboard boxes?:?)

Hi yes it is DFH's American Timothy Hay (please see the pictures I've added on my original post). I guess it might due to repackaging?

Tainay xx

I recently bought a bag of Alfalfa King Timothy Hay and while most of the hay is lovely, the bag is FULL of dust and bitty hay (I think from how it was chopped/compressed/packaged). I was going to write and complain, as it specifically says that it is dust free and it definitely isn't!

Yes that's what I've found when I had a bag of Alfalfa King Timothy Hay and I thought it might only be me getting a bad batch :(. Well I think it might be that American Timothy hay are dustier because they are drier in general?

Tainay xx

I buy direct from DFH. I buy the Stalky hay and there is very little dust in the hay. I buy the large bales, which are much more cost efficient.

Yes the normal stalky and soft hay are laterally no dust, which is fab :thumb: but the American Timothy Hay are just too expensive and don't know whether it worth the extra so bought a small bag from Bunny Bazaar.

Tainay xx

I don't know about those brands, I get Kaytee Natural Timothy Hay (American Timothy) but I've noticed that it can differ from bag to bag. some bags are dust free and some have some dust in the bottom like in your picture. But Kaytee doesn't claim to be dust free, so...

Dust doesn't bother my buns any but it bothers me due to my hay allergy.

Yes the normal stalky and soft hay are laterally no dust, which is fab :thumb: but the American Timothy Hay are just too expensive and don't know whether it worth the extra so bought a small bag from Bunny Bazaar.

Tainay xx

Maybe email Norman @ DFH as he gets back to you pretty quickly, explain that you bought the small pack and it wasn't the best quality and ask what his stuff is like if bought direct

Maybe email Norman @ DFH as he gets back to you pretty quickly, explain that you bought the small pack and it wasn't the best quality and ask what his stuff is like if bought direct

That would be good idea! I bought their sample packs before and thought can get a sample of the American Timothy Hay but didn't. I might email him or just buy from them directly :D

Back