• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dulap preventing proper grooming. Update: Gone for surgery

Hope Arian is doing well - one other thing - provide a bowl as well as a bottle of water (maybe two bowls a couple of different depths, depending on her dewlap surgery, she may or may not want to bend low!) Buns often prefer to drink from a bowl after surgery as it's less effort.

Please let us know how she is getting on!

Thanks for the good wishes :)

The op went well and she came home about 3pm. She's very dopey and looks horribly unwell :( I realise this is to be expected but it's still not nice to see. I know it was sensible to do both ops at once but it seems like a lot for her to deal with.

I'm trying to leave her in peace mostly but she seems to appreciate having her nose stroked. She hasn't touched any food and I don't think any water either :? Will try putting a water bowl in, thanks for that idea.

Yes, she will improve day by day. Poppy was not too good to begin with but one week later she is almost back to her old self. Keep up the good work - try lots of fresh bits like parsley, etc.

Glad the op went well -I used to raid Sainsbury's veg section post-op for tempting morsels pak choi is a major fave with mine but so pricey they only get that on special occasions. Plenty of fresh grass is also good - high in fibre and containing water so best of both worlds - I ripped up handfulls from my lawn.

When I first got Athena she had a large dewlap and it went down post-spay so a lot of it is hormonal but when Zeus lost weight he ended up looking like he had gained a dewlap as the excess skin gathered around his neck :( .

Caz

Just to update further, Arian recovered well from the surgery and seems to cleaning herself better with the reduced dulap. Will take an 'after' photo to post up when I can :lol:

Thanks again for all of your advice.

Back