• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't know what to do :(

If it were me and I were trying to make the best of the bad situation, and some will possibly disagree but that's inevitable ;), I would forget the size of the hutch in the short term. Yes it's very small, but as a *short term* solution for what is still a small bunny it's not going to be the end of the world. We had to keep Rosie in a 4ft hutch post-spay and while it wasn't ideal, I knew that long term she'd had an 8 x 6 shed and a large garden to run around it so I think it evens out.

I would then concentrate all of my efforts on scraping together the money to get them castrated. Preferably both at once so you've not got a staggered healing time but separately if necessary. Once healed, I would then rebond which means they could both go in the bigger hutch and then I'd sort the vaccinations.

Rehoming one isn't really a solution because then you still have a lone rabbit which is not ideal. Better to have a short term "not ideal" hutch than a long term issue of loneliness IMO.

I agree with this. Until I found this forum in the summer, I had one bunny in a 3ft indoor cage :( I didn't know any better. Now I have four bunnies - 1 pair & 2 singles which I am intending to bond and all 4 are going upstairs to free range in my second bedroom as soon as I can get it sorted out.

You didn't know and now you've been thrown in at the deep end and are having to deal with it. In my opinion, you love these rabbits and want to improve their lives as soon as you are able and so that makes you a better owner than some people put there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won't the 2 girls live together for now, if you bond them - how long have they been separate? Then you can get them spayed etc when you are ready.

I have paid between £50 and £120 to have girls spayed so the prices do vary a lot between vet practices. My vaccs (the combined VHD/myxo) were £15 each but that was for 13 buns and the vet coming to the house.

Do you have anything you could perhaps put on ebay to raise funds? Or ask on your local freecycle group for bits you need (have seen chicken coops aviary panels etc on our local one).

I would also look to have the buns insured if funds are low - some of my vet bills have been eye watering!!

Wishing you all the best.

Thank you for all your replies your support has really overwhelmed me. I'll reply properly later (just about to head out to do the nursery run) but your advice is really helping so thank you x

If it were me and I were trying to make the best of the bad situation, and some will possibly disagree but that's inevitable ;), I would forget the size of the hutch in the short term. Yes it's very small, but as a *short term* solution for what is still a small bunny it's not going to be the end of the world. We had to keep Rosie in a 4ft hutch post-spay and while it wasn't ideal, I knew that long term she'd had an 8 x 6 shed and a large garden to run around it so I think it evens out.

I would then concentrate all of my efforts on scraping together the money to get them castrated. Preferably both at once so you've not got a staggered healing time but separately if necessary. Once healed, I would then rebond which means they could both go in the bigger hutch and then I'd sort the vaccinations.

Rehoming one isn't really a solution because then you still have a lone rabbit which is not ideal. Better to have a short term "not ideal" hutch than a long term issue of loneliness IMO.

Thank you for your reply it has been really helpful. Sadly though Jessie really does need a bigger hutch with a run built in as she has learnt how to jump onto the top of her hutch and over the run. You should of seen her in the grass running and binkying it would just be cruel of me to expect her to stay as she is. My garden is not yet bunnyproofed (gates need boarding off,need to check what plants and bushes are in our garden and so on) so she can't have free reign til then. Her run and hutch are now seperate and she will have to stay in her hutch whenever I go out which is just unfair on her.

In the short term, you could swap the 2 bunnies round (eg. every few days) so they each get time in the larger accommodation? It may also help with bonding them back together later as they will be used to each others' smell. Then you could concentrate on getting the neutering and vaccinations done one by one. Maybe you could use the smaller hutch as the recovery area after a spay and bring it inside. It may not be ideal, but it is a short term solution and would allow you more cash to put into the vet fees rather than equipment you may not need for long if you intend to bond them again.

That would be an option but as said above Jessie has learnt how to escape her run via her hutch and they are now seperated so anytime I leave the house Jessie (or Faith) would be stuck in the hutch and its just not fair on them :(

You didn't know and now you've been thrown in at the deep end and are having to deal with it. In my opinion, you love these rabbits and want to improve their lives as soon as you are able and so that makes you a better owner than some people put there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you yes definately been thrown in the deep end. Since Faith has had her babies I haven't slept due to stressing over the rabbits welfare and how unfair all of this is on them. If I had been better informed then I would of bought Jessie and then added a companion further down the track.

Won't the 2 girls live together for now, if you bond them - how long have they been separate? Then you can get them spayed etc when you are ready.

Before Faith had babies they adored each other only Jessie was a bit dominant sometimes but nothing too bad. Sadly though since they have been separated I have found that putting them back together is a big no no (Jessie escaped her run when Faith was having some supervised garden time and they got in a fight) :( so definitely not.

I have paid between £50 and £120 to have girls spayed so the prices do vary a lot between vet practices. My vaccs (the combined VHD/myxo) were £15 each but that was for 13 buns and the vet coming to the house.

Do you have anything you could perhaps put on ebay to raise funds? Or ask on your local freecycle group for bits you need (have seen chicken coops aviary panels etc on our local one).

I would also look to have the buns insured if funds are low - some of my vet bills have been eye watering!!

Wishing you all the best.

The vet I went to to get Jessie's sex confirmed charges £70 per bun for spaying and £19 per vaccination per bun. I've got lots of things on ebay at the moment outgrown toys and clothes etc but nothing really sells on there anymore since Royal Fail changed their prices. Looked on freecycle groups to no avail :(

I'm looking into insurance as I know operations can be costly and I think with how mischievous Jessie is I'm going to need it.

I'd thought I'd update on my decision as much as it breaks my heart I think its for the best all round if I rehome Faith (i orginally was only going to get Jessie til I read they needed a companion and I can't bear to part with her). I've not made this decision lightly as I love them both very much but all round I think this is for the best. I've decided that once Jessie is neutered and settled and the warmer weather kicks in I can find a lovely neutered male companion for her from a rescue centre. So that she isn't lonely and til then I will spend as much time as possible with her as will my chidlren who adore her.

In the meantime I will make sure that Faith goes to a really good home so any tips on what to look for in a new owner would be appreciated (i.e require them to have such and such size hutch run,equipment etc). x

Have you tried bonding them in a neutral area, as they used to get on, so it could be possible. Don't be put off by them fighting in the garden.

The thing is, rehoming one and getting a neutered male at a later date probably won't save you that much - and won't get your remaining bunny a friend much sooner. Most rescues charge about £60 for a neutered and vaccinated rabbit, which isn't far off the £60-80 that most vets charge for a spay. Plus, almost all rescues are totally full to bursting - I doubt there'd be space for any to take one of your bunnies for a good while.

Could you get a cheap puppy pen off amazon/eBay for about £20 and keep the one in the smaller hutch indoors somewhere for the time being? This is ideal: http://www.amazon.co.uk/VivaPet-Out...UTF8&qid=1390573324&sr=8-9&keywords=puppy+pen. Or you could even use the run that you attach to the hutch to save spending any money. That will give her more room for now, and you can allow her to free range in the kitchen or somewhere to get exercise. Then the time to save up for spays wouldn't be quite so pressing - they'd both have a decent amount of space for now. The most pressing concern is the vaccinations imo - I'd definitely get them done asap. Shop around for vaccination costs - they can vary from £20 to £40, but compared to a spay you don't need a particularly bunny 'savvy' vet. Any vet can vaccinate, so it's worth saving that bit of money imo if it'll allow you to get them done sooner. It's important to be confident in a vet for a spay though, definitely.

Have you looked into low cost spaying with the PDSA? If you quality, that would be a fantastic solution.

It seems you were very much thrown in at the deep end - the previous owner sounds terrible. Unfortunately a lot of people have quite a steep learning curve at the beginning :(. There's so much out there that reinforces the belief that rabbits can be kept alone/un-neutered/un-vaccinated/in a tiny hutch. It's very tough for new owners unless them stumble across RWAF etc. This is why everyone on the forum gets so angry when there's an article in a newspaper, or information in pets at home which makes bunnies seem like a cheap/easy pet. :(

I think your family might have to 'suffer' a little for the sake of your rabbits. It's a valuable life lesson to teach your kids that you need to be responsible for your pets. If you explain that they need to have vaccinations to ensure they remain healthy and they need to be spayed so they can live together, I'm sure they'll understand. You can use them as a fun activity too - spending time with them, helping you clean them out, and picking grass etc for them to nibble on. You can do free activities such as museums and picnics at the park with your kids (although I understand that it's tough when you're limited by the weather :(). You can have sleepovers in the living room with films and make your own pizzas, etc. There's plenty of low cost/free options of days out and fun activities. If you want any suggestions then feel free to ask in general chat, there's plenty of families on here who have good tips for low cost fun days :D

I also don't think it's fair to keep one rabbit in its own outside :( but that's my personal opinion.

But she's on her own anyways until I can get them both neutered granted she can see Faith from her run but she can't play with her,cuddle into her or do anything else with her til they are both neutered. Its either keep both and have Faith live in a hutch thats too small for her til a)we can afford to get her something bigger or b) til they are both neutered and ready to re-bond.

If I could wave a magic wand I would, if I could go back in time knowing what I know now I would of gone for a neutered pair of rabbits. I'm heartbroken about it as has been said I have been thrown in the deep end. I didn't ask for any of this for Faith to have babies, for me to have to seperate them as a result and not finding out until I had got them that they needed to be neutered to live in harmony. I want to keep her as I know I can provide her a good home but financially its not do-able I've wracked my brains on a way to come up with the money needed, the vets I use is one of the cheapest and doesn't offer payment plans, I'm not entitled to housing benefit/council tax according to a benefits calculator and I have searched high and low for a bigger hutch to fit my budget (I came across one miles away on the other side of yorkshire exactly the same as Faiths but I don't drive and I have no one who could go pick it up for me). I'm trying my best to work out a way through this situation so that I can keep her but I'm getting nowhere :( I don't want to be seen as one of those owners who get rid when the going gets tough because its not like that at all I want to keep her and if I could find a way I would trust me.

Have you tried bonding them in a neutral area, as they used to get on, so it could be possible. Don't be put off by them fighting in the garden.

No I haven't but the way they were fighting I daren't risk putting them back together incase one of them gets injured. My grass was covered in tufts of fur and one was yelping out in pain. I literally had to drag Jessie off from Faith they were very very hormonal. I can't risk one of them getting injured as a result. x

The thing is, rehoming one and getting a neutered male at a later date probably won't save you that much - and won't get your remaining bunny a friend much sooner. Most rescues charge about £60 for a neutered and vaccinated rabbit, which isn't far off the £60-80 that most vets charge for a spay. Plus, almost all rescues are totally full to bursting - I doubt there'd be space for any to take one of your bunnies for a good while.

Could you get a cheap puppy pen off amazon/eBay for about £20 and keep the one in the smaller hutch indoors somewhere for the time being? This is ideal: http://www.amazon.co.uk/VivaPet-Out...UTF8&qid=1390573324&sr=8-9&keywords=puppy+pen. Or you could even use the run that you attach to the hutch to save spending any money. That will give her more room for now, and you can allow her to free range in the kitchen or somewhere to get exercise. Then the time to save up for spays wouldn't be quite so pressing - they'd both have a decent amount of space for now. The most pressing concern is the vaccinations imo - I'd definitely get them done asap. Shop around for vaccination costs - they can vary from £20 to £40, but compared to a spay you don't need a particularly bunny 'savvy' vet. Any vet can vaccinate, so it's worth saving that bit of money imo if it'll allow you to get them done sooner. It's important to be confident in a vet for a spay though, definitely.

Have you looked into low cost spaying with the PDSA? If you quality, that would be a fantastic solution.

It seems you were very much thrown in at the deep end - the previous owner sounds terrible. Unfortunately a lot of people have quite a steep learning curve at the beginning :(. There's so much out there that reinforces the belief that rabbits can be kept alone/un-neutered/un-vaccinated/in a tiny hutch. It's very tough for new owners unless them stumble across RWAF etc. This is why everyone on the forum gets so angry when there's an article in a newspaper, or information in pets at home which makes bunnies seem like a cheap/easy pet. :(

I think your family might have to 'suffer' a little for the sake of your rabbits. It's a valuable life lesson to teach your kids that you need to be responsible for your pets. If you explain that they need to have vaccinations to ensure they remain healthy and they need to be spayed so they can live together, I'm sure they'll understand. You can use them as a fun activity too - spending time with them, helping you clean them out, and picking grass etc for them to nibble on. You can do free activities such as museums and picnics at the park with your kids (although I understand that it's tough when you're limited by the weather :(). You can have sleepovers in the living room with films and make your own pizzas, etc. There's plenty of low cost/free options of days out and fun activities. If you want any suggestions then feel free to ask in general chat, there's plenty of families on here who have good tips for low cost fun days :D

Valid point about the male rabbits being the same cost as being neutered I didn't know that.

Unfortunately I can not bring her inside firstly my hubby wouldn't allow it (he told me I could have a bunny as long as it was an outdoor one and it remained outdoors. With the only exception now being that they come in to recover from being spayed) and secondly there is no space in our tiny crammed house to fit her in for 6+ weeks til she is neutered. Hutch would fit in at a push but run wouldn't and I can't give her free reign as my 18 month old would more then likely try and eat her droppings given half the chance and my 3 yr old wouldn't leave her alone.

Jessie has now found a way to escape her run without the use of her hutch so I can't even leave her unsupervised in that now :( and again more expense if I buy her another.

I know money isn't the be all and end all and my children would understand but we have bills to pay and mouths to feed and those have to come first. Like I say I can't help the situation I am in I wish I could I wish I had known but I didn't and I feel bad enough as it is :( I want to make it better but can't see how. x

No I haven't but the way they were fighting I daren't risk putting them back together incase one of them gets injured. My grass was covered in tufts of fur and one was yelping out in pain. I literally had to drag Jessie off from Faith they were very very hormonal. I can't risk one of them getting injured as a result. x

I think you're right not to risk it. Watching bunnies fight is no fun, and the injuries can be horrible.

Valid point about the male rabbits being the same cost as being neutered I didn't know that.

Unfortunately I can not bring her inside firstly my hubby wouldn't allow it (he told me I could have a bunny as long as it was an outdoor one and it remained outdoors. With the only exception now being that they come in to recover from being spayed) and secondly there is no space in our tiny crammed house to fit her in for 6+ weeks til she is neutered. Hutch would fit in at a push but run wouldn't and I can't give her free reign as my 18 month old would more then likely try and eat her droppings given half the chance and my 3 yr old wouldn't leave her alone.

Jessie has now found a way to escape her run without the use of her hutch so I can't even leave her unsupervised in that now :( and again more expense if I buy her another.

I know money isn't the be all and end all and my children would understand but we have bills to pay and mouths to feed and those have to come first. Like I say I can't help the situation I am in I wish I could I wish I had known but I didn't and I feel bad enough as it is :( I want to make it better but can't see how. x

It sounds like you've really thought about it and are a conscientious owner. I see your point about an 18 month old and a 3 year old - it'd be different if your children were say 7 and 9 :(.

The only other thing I can think of is do you have any friends/family/neighbours that could accommodate the one bunny in the smaller hutch for you? If you state it'd only be for 2 months, or 3 months or whatever perhaps people will be willing to? You'd have to buy a puppy pen or something for about £23 but you can use this in the future for their spays, and also attach it to the coop for a supervised area to give them more space in the summer when you're out in the garden etc. Also they sell well second hand, so you wouldn't lose much.

There may even be someone on the forum who could temporarily foster one of your girls. I'm just concerned about the rescue waiting lists - obviously it's upsetting for you to have one in a very small hutch, and she might be waiting a good while. If there's a way to get around it it might be the better option. I really wish I had some money to help out at times like this :(

We have a rescue local to us that run low cost clinics, have you looked in to that maybe?

I hope you manage to sort something out xx

Is there any way you could get this hutch? It's just over 5 foot which is a much better size. Whilst not ideal by any means it'll give her the room to do more hops: http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/109977501/guinea-pigrabbit-hutch-outdoors.html

There's this as well and whilst not ideal again it does give her a 4 x 4 foot run to run around in http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/109935667/rabbit-hutch-and-run.html

This would be perfect http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/108648200/rabbitguinea-pig-hutch-large.html and it's really cheap for a 6ft hutch, I'd try to get that over anything else. I'd remove that awful platform though!

If you could stretch to a 6ft hutch then her immediate needs would be taken care of, and you can take a little longer to save up for a spay. As long as she has a proper area to hop around in she can wait an extra month or two for a spay.

Can you make her run secure (so she doesn't escape) and attach it to her hutch permanently so she can access it 24/7?

Where abouts in Hull do you live? My sister lives in Welton, I have a 5x2x2 hutch sat doing nothing I know it's not ideal size wise but if my sister can take it up to hers next time she's down, you are welcome to collect it and borrow for as long as you need to...if it helps:wave:

Can we have a update how are things?

Hi sorry been so busy that I've not had chance to come on thanks to all the replies. To answer questions (sorry can't quote everyone when on my phone) the run is open top no door at the moment I have cardboard covering it with a waterproof mattress sheet which is stopping Jessie from escaping. A friend has offered me her rabbit run it's not the biggest but at least it's enclosed which is what she needs.

Thank you to the poster for posting the links to those hutches unfortunately I don't drive so wouldn't be able to pick any of those up but I have found someone local selling a pets at home hutch within my budget just trying to find a way to get it delivered if she gets back to me.

So for now both buns are with me. My daughters were the ones in the end to change my mind as they were heartbroken and bless their hearts were willing to sell some of their toys to fund the hutch.

Jessie seems slightly happier now she has access to the run when she pleases and hopefully the temporary run I am getting will give her more length to hop.

Once this rain goes away hubby is sorting the garden out and boarding up any gaps along our fence so both rabbits can have supervised access to the garden I just need to check if the bush we have at the bottom of the garden is safe or not (haven't a clue what it's called).

It's safe to say it's been a stressful week but hopefully things will turn out ok x

Back