• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't breed or buy when rabbits in need still die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't agree with you more! I work in cat rescue and people always want the pretty colours or unusual fancy breeds but some of my favourites have just been regular moggies - nothing special to look at - but the most amazingly friendly personalities - I always try and gush about these individuals and fight their cornor.

Agreed. Or they want the cute little kittens.

Maybe rescues need to be more "out there" about rescue rabbits though? And therefore I agree with the previous poster about taking this to a broader platform such as RWAF.

Certainly, before I found this forum, I had no idea that rabbits needed rescuing, I honestly thought that when people got sick of their pets, for whatever reason, they just sat in the hutch at the bottom of the garden and were largely ignored except for being fed once a day. I had no idea that people gave up pets and I thought that in cruelty cases the RSPCA just had rabbits PTS.

When I was thinking about getting our bunnies, I thought about our first rabbit, bought from a pet shop and I knew I didn't want to get another one from a pet shop, so I contacted a breeder. Once I had committed to getting the bunnies from this person, I was stuck - both from the point of view of having paid a deposit and also my 8 yr old was in love with the two rabbits she'd picked and I couldn't really disappoint her (bit of a traumatic situation for her about pets, so saying no on this occasion wasn't possible). And anyway, the bunnies were born before I even contacted the breeder, so they were going to go somewhere - it might as well be to us where they were going to be looked after properly.

It was only once I'd found this forum, that I realized that rabbits were in rescues. It was even Rabbit Awareness Week, and we went along to an event and still no one had mentioned rescue bunnies. It needs to be more publicised.

Agreed. Or they want the cute little kittens.

The kittens are cute and we never have problems rehoming them. And although they are sweet and I go awww the first day I see them the novelty soon wears off for me. Their personalities haven't really developed. What you see is what you get with an adult and usually they have to be rehomed through change of circumstance etc which is harder on an adult who's known one home for 14 years then their owner dies for example. There have been a few that have stolen my heart and I have had to stop myself taking them home! :love: Fortunately not everyone wants kittens! ;)

Maybe rescues need to be more "out there" about rescue rabbits though? And therefore I agree with the previous poster about taking this to a broader platform such as RWAF.

Certainly, before I found this forum, I had no idea that rabbits needed rescuing, I honestly thought that when people got sick of their pets, for whatever reason, they just sat in the hutch at the bottom of the garden and were largely ignored except for being fed once a day. I had no idea that people gave up pets and I thought that in cruelty cases the RSPCA just had rabbits PTS.

When I was thinking about getting our bunnies, I thought about our first rabbit, bought from a pet shop and I knew I didn't want to get another one from a pet shop, so I contacted a breeder. Once I had committed to getting the bunnies from this person, I was stuck - both from the point of view of having paid a deposit and also my 8 yr old was in love with the two rabbits she'd picked and I couldn't really disappoint her (bit of a traumatic situation for her about pets, so saying no on this occasion wasn't possible). And anyway, the bunnies were born before I even contacted the breeder, so they were going to go somewhere - it might as well be to us where they were going to be looked after properly.

It was only once I'd found this forum, that I realized that rabbits were in rescues. It was even Rabbit Awareness Week, and we went along to an event and still no one had mentioned rescue bunnies. It needs to be more publicised.

Yes you are right people think of cat and dogs but not rabbit rescue. And of course people want cute baby rabbits - commonly found in a pet shop rather than an adult.

I could not cope with kittens far too much like hard work love my oldie cats. I've said it before and I will say it again breeds come into rescue you just have to be patient
The kittens are cute and we never have problems rehoming them. And although they are sweet and I go awww the first day I see them the novelty soon wears off for me. Their personalities haven't really developed. What you see is what you get with an adult and usually they have to be rehomed through change of circumstance etc which is harder on an adult who's known one home for 14 years then their owner dies for example. There have been a few that have stolen my heart and I have had to stop myself taking them home! :love: Fortunately not everyone wants kittens! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back