• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs and Rabbits

We have a West Highland Terrier and he just loves the buns and they are fine with him, my outside pair sit with him in the sun in the garden most mornings when the sun's in the front and Peter my old bun will if Whisky ignores him go and butt him on his legs as if to say arn't you speaking to me today. When in home with kitchen bun they just ignore each other most of the time but they will both go nose to nose most days, now have just got new bun hopefully to bond with kitchen bun and at first was careful with him just in case he was scared of Whisky, well I thought Peter bun was brave but this little lad has no fear, he is living in the living room at the moment till bonding begins and watching the 2 of them play together is so funny, I think Flip Flop thinks he's a dog or Whisky a bun I can't decide, both up on the sofa last night curled up together, if I only had a camera around at the time, tonight he pinched one of Whisky's dog biscuits and ran off with it, so funny to see, I wouldn't trust all dogs with buns but we are lucky with our daft one.

Dogs should not be kept with rabbits. Whatever anyone else on here tells you about how fantastic theirs get alone, you could easily end up with dead rabbits. And then how are you going to feel about the dog?
Rabbits and dogs are prey and predator. You wouldn't keep an antelope or dear with a lion. You should not mix dogs and rabbits, ever.

I'd never trust a dog alone with bunnies or my kitties for that matter. I have a pup and i'm going from puppy to adult, and i will still be around her 24/7 to watch her behavior.

She will never be left in a bunny room indoors or with the cats whilst I'm gone out just incase. I wouldn't risk it no matter how much i grow to trust her.

She is very good now even with the buns especially- they even come upto greet her and she is extremely gentle!! The cats find are more scared,but they are still getting along. Even so dogs can destroy animal enclosures in a short time.

Good luck with finding a rescue dog. I think that's very admirable and something i'd have done if my other half didn't insist on a particular breed of dog for various reasons.

xx

Dogs should not be kept with rabbits. Whatever anyone else on here tells you about how fantastic theirs get alone, you could easily end up with dead rabbits. And then how are you going to feel about the dog?
Rabbits and dogs are prey and predator. You wouldn't keep an antelope or dear with a lion. You should not mix dogs and rabbits, ever.

Agree- even cats shouldn't be freeranging with rabbits alone really, but they are fine to be alongside each other if in secure enclosures as they don't have the physical strength of a dog.

We have a south African mastiff (boerboel) as they are renowned for being gentle with animals and children- if brought up in the correct way of course :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51X-1eEyYEs

This is one with a parrot.

Last edited:

But you don't have to let them mix, unless its supervised. I don't and I have 5 dogs. :) Its very easy to keep them separate. Dogs can't jump and climb very well, for little dogs a simple baby gate can keep them separate if they are indoor buns.

But you don't have to let them mix, unless its supervised. I don't and I have 5 dogs. :) Its very easy to keep them separate. Dogs can't jump and climb very well, for little dogs a simple baby gate can keep them separate if they are indoor buns.

True little dogs would be separated easily by a baby gate.

PhFAml.jpg

Except this one :) xx
http://www.storiesofwisdom.com/the-lioness-and-the-oryx/

Accidents happen. Whether it's you, another member of your family or another visitor to the house.

I seriously don't understand the reason why anyone would want a species of animal that could kill their other pets. In my opinion it's just being selfish and just wanting "one of those".

Put your rabbits needs ahead of your own silly fad wishes.

ps I like dogs, they are just 100% unsuitable for anyone who keeps rabbits.

Accidents happen. Whether it's you, another member of your family or another visitor to the house.

I seriously don't understand the reason why anyone would want a species of animal that could kill their other pets. In my opinion it's just being selfish and just wanting "one of those".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGFiqjBibHQ

This kind of thing is quite common though- a bond between dog and bunny.

i have had 4 different dogs now which have lived with rabbits (both house and outdoor) without any problems or worries at all.

my first dog was a collie and was so laid back with everything he was never a problem.
then we got tyke a staffie cross, we introduced them slowly and he was the best dog ever with the bunnies. he didn't just live along side them, he loved them. groomed, slept and guarded them. he would lay eating a chew and the buns would be grooming him or sniffing what he ate and he never once batted an eye.

when we got Sid again he was slowly introduced and he just isn't interested, jazz our latest addition is also very good but as my buns are mostly outside and she hasn't as much contact as the other dogs did i wouldn't leave her unsupervised as yet. the buns were indoors for a couple of months this year and she did calm down a lot around them.

i think so much of it is how they are introduced and taught to be calm around the buns. if you don't make a fuss i don't think they do.
it just becomes a way of life for them to have the rabbits there.

Sorry but I find that statement totally untrue.. Many people have dogs,cats,rabbits living happily together.. I have a dog, cat and rabbits but although they all do get along..I dont leave them unsupervised.

My grandads jack russel killed there neighbours 2 rabbits, its not rabbit friendly atall well any small animal reli. Its banned from my house! We have 2 choc labs who adoreee the rabbits! Often find them cuddled up with Smartie the indoor bun!

I find it sad that some people's opinions expressed on here so very uncompromising and ill thought out.

What a sad world this would be if we never allowed animals of different kinds to mix.........almost a kind of discrimination we find in peolple.

Anyone with a smidgen of common sense and thought for their pets wouldn't allow free access and no supervision.........and it's lovely to see animals enjoying each other's company.

I find it sad that some people's opinions expressed on here so very uncompromising and ill thought out.

What a sad world this would be if we never allowed animals of different kinds to mix.........almost a kind of discrimination we find in peolple.

Anyone with a smidgen of common sense and thought for their pets wouldn't allow free access and no supervision.........and it's lovely to see animals enjoying each other's company.

I quite clearly did NOT say that animals of different species could not mix.

Just not DOGS and RABBITS. Dogs can kill a rabbit with ONE SINGLE BITE. If they decided to bite your rabbit there is NOTHING you can do to stop it. There might not be any warning signs at all. There is no way to play it safe.

There are many people who keeps dogs and rabbits together and they appear to get on. That doesn't mean they will always get on. One little miscommunication and you have a DEAD rabbit. We all know that rabbits can kill GPs by accident. Dogs can kill rabbits by accident and on INSTINCT. If you rabbit bites the toe of your dog you don't know how it's going to react. To a rabbit a little bite is just a way of saying "get out of the way". To a dog it could be interpreted as an attack, or just a play attack. You don't want your dog play fighting with your rabbit. You don't know how the dog will react if it's surprised suddenly. By mixing rabbits and dogs you might as well be playing russian roulette with their lives.

To take risks with your rabbits life like that is selfish and unacceptable.

Last edited:
Depends on the personality of the dog and its past experiences. When I have looked for potentials at the dogs trust they say whether or not not ats are ok, and if one says no cats or children I would think that means no rabbits. On the other hand some are the opposite. I think that its a myth that the breed dictates the personality, it depends on the upbringing.

Or it's a case of feeling responsible for looking after other selfish peoples cast off animals.

I have kept dogs (all rescue dogs), cats (rescue and feral), rabbits and guinea pigs (even free range rats in my utility room a long time ago) together for over 20 years with no issues.

The only issues I find are between same species, such as the cats arguing with each other over food yet allowing the rabbits or dog to have a peek at what they are eating!

Animals can co-exist happily with the right owners.

To take risks with your rabbits life like that is selfish and unacceptable.

Many people would say that owning any animal is selfish. Full stop. Where does the selfishness begin/end?

In an age where there are animals being pts every day because there are no spaces for them, I am more than happy to rescue a responsible amount for my finances, time and space I that I can provide. It's not selfish if they all get along and none are scared/bullied.

In my garden right now there are 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 1 guinea pig and a dog chilling out in the sunshine, happily going about their own business.

This is the reason people steer clear of forums.... people who cannot give contructive advice and just dig at people.

Thanks for everybody elses advice :)

Stator, I understand your point (however rude and judgemental), it is a danger, one that I am fully understanding (else I wouldn't have started the thread)... and just to be clear, the rabbits would never be intentionallywithin 'biting' distance of the dog. My aim to to find a dog who is disinterested in the rabbits in their hutch/run, and if they happen to come into contact accidently that the dog would not attack the rabbit, which , from comments on here is entirely possible.

I will always put the rabbits first and will only home a dog I know can be trusted with them.... It is not something I will take lightly and aim to seek the best advice... (starting here :wave:)

Many people would say that owning any animal is selfish. Full stop. Where does the selfishness begin/end?

In an age where there are animals being pts every day because there are no spaces for them, I am more than happy to rescue a responsible amount for my finances, time and space I that I can provide. It's not selfish if they all get along and none are scared/bullied.

In my garden right now there are 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 1 guinea pig and a dog chilling out in the sunshine, happily going about their own business.

:thumb::thumb:

Back