• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dogs and buns

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
well my little sebastian has met all three of my cats, none of them were impressed but they didnt go for him and ignored him until he touched them (which made them freak and watch him from a safe spot on the floor )
what im wondering is if anyone has ever successfully introduced a Parsons terrier to a rabbit, she loves to watch through the cage and sniff where he's been, when i walk past her with Sebastian in my arms she doesnt even realise (oh how dim) but im worried about introducing them properly as she likes to chase and im scared sebastian might get chewed on.

Any idea how to try introducing them or should i not bother?

I don't have experience of a Parson terrier, however, I have a Bischon Frise who is as good as gold with our rabbits. HOWEVER, we had additions to the bunny family recently and she became territorial and growled and snapped at the newcomers. I think she would have nipped if I had not been right there.

I think the safest option is to never allow them to be alone in the garden together (or are they house rabbits?). Either way, always best to err on the side of caution. Also, when rabbits start running or darting about the danger escalates.

My dog is actually scared of the rabbits :shock: when she is sleeping on the sofa they use her as a step to get through the gaps in the bannister, then jump back down onto her, then they try and take her food off her too :shock:

I would say if your dog loves to chase them you've answered your own question
A parson jack russell is a hunting terrier ..I would say they are a breed who I would not trust with any small furries..although you can get exceptions..my personal opinion would be keep them seperate..the rabbit cannot communicate with the dog and vice versa so why risk it

yeah ive completely decided against it now, the dog was pestering Sebastian while he was in the carry case to go to the vets, what ca i do in the summer though when ill be putting him in a run during the day, the dog will be out and will chase him up and down :(

They will prob get used to each other over time but i wouldnt leave them together alone,I have a staffordshire bull terrier and a cross collie who are great with my four:D

My dog is actually scared of the rabbits :shock: when she is sleeping on the sofa they use her as a step to get through the gaps in the bannister, then jump back down onto her, then they try and take her food off her too :shock:

lol Tinkerbell does that to my 2 collies, both dogs and rabbit are free range in the house so long as i'm home, all of downstairs is open plan, there is a stairgate at the top of the stairs to stop the dogs getting up there, at the moment, Tinks can fit through the bars.. give her a few more weeks of growing tho.... :roll::lol:

Back