• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Doe passed away after neutering

Lady Logamorph

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

So had a stressful weekend as my gorgeous doe Felica passed away after her neutering and just wondered if I could have peoples opinion as I'm feeling so guilty and upset about the situation.

Long story short....she was neutered on Wednesday afternoon. She was bleeding from the wound quite a bit so the vet did an ultrasound and send her back home with me happy that the bleeding was just from the muscle layer and not internal.

She seemed to perk up and started eating grass/dandelions on Thursday evening after me syringe feeding her during the day.

On friday she went off her food again and seemed quiet so I syringe fed her throughout the day and arranged to take her back to the vets on Saturday morning.

I heard a bang on Saturday morning at 4:30am and when I went into the spare room Felicia was passing away :cry:

So I feel incredibly guilty that I didn't take her back on Friday and also have no idea what could have gone wrong. Has anyone had a similar experience? I am due to see the vet tomorrow for my post op app with the buck (Fergus) so want to ask them some questions about the bleeding but really not sure what to say.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope others are able to share experience & insight to help you process such a sad situation

I am really sorry for your tragic loss. It is impossible to say for certain what happened without a PM. Even that may be inconclusive. Excessive bleeding after a spay is abnormal, even if it was ‘just’ from muscle tissue. Whether the bleeding was associated with her death I dont know but I would have expected the Vet to keep her in for observation. This is what my Vet did when one of my Bucks bled profusely during a routine castration. He was on IV fluids and had hourly obs for 36 hours after surgery.

RIP Felica :cry:

I am really sorry for your tragic loss. It is impossible to say for certain what happened without a PM. Even that may be inconclusive. Excessive bleeding after a spay is abnormal, even if it was ‘just’ from muscle tissue. Whether the bleeding was associated with her death I dont know but I would have expected the Vet to keep her in for observation. This is what my Vet did when one of my Bucks bled profusely during a routine castration. He was on IV fluids and had hourly obs for 36 hours after surgery.

RIP Felica :cry:

Hi Jane, thanks for the response, the vet did offer to keep her in overnight on Wednesday but I said I was happy to take her home. To be honest she was doing ok on the Thursday eating a pooing and the bleeding stopped so I expect they would have sent her home on the Thursday anyhow. They did also give her some subcut fluids as well on the wednesday before she came home. It's hard when you want answers but know it is impossible. I'm just kicking myself for not doing more, what did I miss, should I have done this and that. I think also the fact that I sent her in well for the op makes it all the more worse. She was one of four found dumped and pregnant in a field over xmas so I just wanted a good life for her after an awful start. Do you think I shoudl query the vet tomorrow or leave it as it is. They know she has passed away.

I'm so sorry that this happened, yes I agree would speak to the vet. Binky free little bunny xx

Hi Jane, thanks for the response, the vet did offer to keep her in overnight on Wednesday but I said I was happy to take her home. To be honest she was doing ok on the Thursday eating a pooing and the bleeding stopped so I expect they would have sent her home on the Thursday anyhow. They did also give her some subcut fluids as well on the wednesday before she came home. It's hard when you want answers but know it is impossible. I'm just kicking myself for not doing more, what did I miss, should I have done this and that. I think also the fact that I sent her in well for the op makes it all the more worse. She was one of four found dumped and pregnant in a field over xmas so I just wanted a good life for her after an awful start. Do you think I shoudl query the vet tomorrow or leave it as it is. They know she has passed away.

I would have a chat with the Vet. They wont be able to give you a definite answer, but it may help just to discuss things. It is especially tragic to lose a Rabbit during or just after a routine neutering :cry:

I am so sorry to read of the passing of Felicia. Unfortunately guilt is part of the grieving process when we lose our loved pets and grief makes us question what we could have done. We search for answers and this is natural because you feel you haven't got closure. You did your very best to give Felicia the love and care she needed. You placed your complete trust in the vet and their professionalism, and I think, rightly that you do need to question that process in order to start giving closure. Unfortunately it won't change the events, but as part of the process of understanding and moving on, then I think a more in depth de-brief with the vetinary professional who performed the operation and the nursing staff, may help to at least provide some possible answers for you.
Binkey free beautiful little Felicia. Xx

So sorry for your loss :( I would discuss with my vet, I find it helps even if there are no definite answers xx

So sad. Really feel for you at this sad time. I hope you start to feel better soon. Poor little Felicity [emoji22] xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm thinking of spay my bunny soon too. Frankly i'm a little scared :( :(
I'm really sorry for your loss. The only way to be emotionally healthy, to live and consume that emotion. Mourning is very important, this is very important for your psychology.
No emotion lasts forever. That's why it's so important to experience that feeling. If we run away from this feeling, we'll never heal.

Back