• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you pick up your rabbits?

Becc4

Young Bun
After months of bunny bliss all my problems have come at once :-(

I'm curious as to whether people pick up their rabbits to cuddle them or move them?

I've always been told that rabbits hate being picked up and you should only do it if absolutely necessary. Unfortunately I have a set-up where my bunnies live in outdoor runs but come inside for free-range time and cuddles (I want them to be house rabbits eventually but am not currently in the right situation). This means I have to carry them inside and upstairs in a travel case and as they aren't exactly fans of the travel case I usually have to either herd them in or pick them up and put them in. This means they each get picked up at least once a day. My big laid back neutered adult female is fine with this, she doesn't like being picked up but she tolerates it. However my 8 month old neutered male is abit scrabbly about it and today I went to pick him up and he sprang at me like a snake and bit me. He obviously doesn't like getting picked up and I hate that I spend time building his trust in other ways then break it again by doing something he doesn't like. I don't blame him for biting me, he was obviously scared and felt cornered. I also fear that this is entwined with the toileting problems I talked about in another thread!

The problem is that I can't omit picking up from their lives because they need to be moved to get the most exercise and space I can give them. Does anybody have any ideas?

What do other people do? Do you slowly get your rabbits used to it or do you just avoid it?

I pick mine up as and when necessary. I'm calm when I do it and even my wildy tolerates it, even if they don't like it.

It's not healthy for them to live outside/inside and then go to the other place for any significant amount of time so I guess the ideal solution to your problem is to adjust their set up to make it physically healthy for them and to make it emotionally healthy for them.

I guess, as the situation is as it is, you need to work out if your boy is scared of you or just dislikes what you're doing. There's an article on handling on my website which might be useful for you but won't solve your problems, I don't think.

I sadly don't have any buns, but I would if i had maybe bunnies do this:

Pick them up if absolutely necesary and to move them from place to place. Like from a run to a shed etc.

And if the buns didn't like it just stroke him/her, feed treats, head rubs, sit/lie on the floor to get 'm used to you all that kind of interaction to prehaps make picking up a less bad experience for him/her, because they might trust you more.

If my bun did tolerate I would pick them up reguaraly aswell just to keep them OK with it.
Aswell as keeping up the other interactions as stated above.

With the unusual case of a bun that appears to enjoy cuddles, I would continue doing that very thing, but not to much.
And continue the other wase of interacting as stated above.

I think that being picked up in a good sense (not by a prey animal) is unnaturel in buns, but seeing that they are pets ad you are there loving owner I would interact with them alot and try and get them to trust you. :love:

ps. I don't have any experiece in actual ownership of rabbits.

Not all rabbits hate being picked up, and you shouldn't avoid it in my opinion, should there be an emergency (I don't know a fire, flood, dog got into the house something like that, or you simply need to pick them up to check they're clean underneith) you need to be able to catch them. But of course some rabbits do truely hate being picked up and you shouldn't stress them out for the sake of cuddles

Mine get picked up all the time, never struggle, they do sometimes run away when I go to catch them but only when they're in the run or free range and know they're going to be put back in the hutch. Although when Rorys in the run and I open the top he stands on his back legs to be picked up :love:

Thanks guys.

I have spent a lot of time stroking/talking/giving treats etc to build up the trust. Maybe this is why my female is more tolerant, because I got her first and have therefore spent more time with her. Then when I got him and bonded them I didn't want to handle him too much and interfere with the bond.

From the article on your website, Sky-O, I think he dislikes being picked up rather than is scared of me. After biting me I left him alone for a bit then when I came back he hopped right up to me for a piece of cabbage.

How can I get him to trust me when every time I pick him up I break that trust?

Also, I was under the impression that a few people had indoor bunnies that have play time on the grass or outdoor bunnies that come in at night? I understand about the temp regulation thing and am careful not to keep them in for too long and time it so they don't go back out in the cool evening.

Thanks for your help. I was under the impression I had happy healthy rabbits and I'm devastated that I'm scaring him :-(

I generally don't pick mine up unless I really have to, and certainly not to "cuddle" them. Boris hates being picked up but does tolerate it, although he always gets grumpy afterwards :lol: Bella is terrified of being picked up and held, she literally panics and does everything she can to get away, she's very strong as well so I can't keep hold of her once she starts squirming. I do find it a little bit strange since she's quite a laid back bunny otherwise, she's fine until she realises that I'm holding her and that she can't get away so I guess it's that feeling of being trapped that she hates.

I think the only solution really is to stop bringing them indoors. Can they free range outside aswell? This would also solve the temperature problems that Sky O pointed out :)

Personally I dont pick up my buns unless absolutely necessary eg for nail clipping or medicating. They are all very comfortae with me so I can do bum checks etc on the floor with them. None of them like being picked up so I subject them to it as little as possible :wave:

Ginger, yes, as she pesters us to be held and given attention and will often jump up onto your lap for a fuss and climb your chest to get cuddles.

Biscuit, a huge no, unless 100% necessary. He HATES being held and his eyes bulge and his heart rate/breathing goes through the roof, so we live with that. That said, he's been held a couple of times recently and hasn't been quite so bad. Seems to be mellowing out as he gets older :love:

My Grayson will lie on me for hours! if you let him! but he's been doing that since 4 weeks old!

mine are all different i can cuddle them all, but ome as soon as I stop giving them nosey rubs they fidget ha

Thanks,

I think I'm happy to adopt the general consensus of pick up only when necessary and slowly work on picking up in a less scary manner. I agree I need to stop bringing them inside but the garden is not fully enclosed and I don't trust my housemate's semi-feral cat. I have big dreams of NIC cube pens on wooden floors........I think I'll have to bribe them into the travel case for moving and just work on the picking up for now. I guess I haven't had him long and I'm sure in time it'll all be fine :)

Thanks for making me realise its a problem though. If anybody has any tips on getting him used to being picked up and improving the movement situation please let me know xxxx

:wave: I pick up all of mine, except one. Faithy is a biter and hates being picked up.

With the others, I always talk in a cheery tone to them before I approach them :oops:, so that they know I am there and that I am approaching. Once I know they realise I'm there, I approach calmly and unrushed. I keep talking to them while carrying them, and when I first put them down.

I have a couple of buns with site problems, but it seems to help the others too. The neighbours think I'm a bit daft though :lol:

They don't like me picking them up unfortunately :( Milky used to be ok with it when we first got her, but as she got older she got more rebellious :roll: :lol: I could pick Honey up, but I don't as I think it terrifies her (I was picking her up once and my little brother tried to give her her favourite treat and she didn't eat it O: ). My brother however is a pro, he can pick Milky up with no difficulty and manages to pick Honey up too whilst keeping her calm. xP They probably sense how anxious I am :oops:

Both mine hate being picked up but once they are in my arms (head facing into the crook of my arm) or on my chest then they are much happier...Daisy tolerates it much better than poppy... I generally only do it when necessary and prefer to sit in the run with them and let them hop on me :)

Thanks guys.

I have spent a lot of time stroking/talking/giving treats etc to build up the trust. Maybe this is why my female is more tolerant, because I got her first and have therefore spent more time with her. Then when I got him and bonded them I didn't want to handle him too much and interfere with the bond.

From the article on your website, Sky-O, I think he dislikes being picked up rather than is scared of me. After biting me I left him alone for a bit then when I came back he hopped right up to me for a piece of cabbage.

How can I get him to trust me when every time I pick him up I break that trust?

Also, I was under the impression that a few people had indoor bunnies that have play time on the grass or outdoor bunnies that come in at night? I understand about the temp regulation thing and am careful not to keep them in for too long and time it so they don't go back out in the cool evening.

Thanks for your help. I was under the impression I had happy healthy rabbits and I'm devastated that I'm scaring him :-(

If he doesn't like it, as opposed to being scared of it, it's not a trust issue, he is just letting you know that he doesn't like it and ensuring that you hear his message. So therefore, whilst it is important to keep his trust and establish a good bond with him, you have to remember that you're not traumatising him by picking him up; he is just doing something he doesn't like- which we all and they all have to do sometimes.

Yes, some people do bring their rabbits inside from outside, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do, or the healthy thing to do. It can be easier letting a free range rabbit choose to go outside or a free range outdoor rabbit choose to come inside because they can choose when to go back inside/outside as they get cold/hot. If the rabbit doesn't have the choice then it's even less than ideal.

Although when Rorys in the run and I open the top he stands on his back legs to be picked up :love:

I only got my little dappy yesterday and he is in a dog crate in my bedroom (which is a temp home) but whenever i go in to check on him or let him out for a run he stands on his hind legs at my feet to be picked up, when he hears me coming or even when he hears my voice hes straight to the door and straight in for the cuddles.... i think thats awesum considering ive ony had him a day and he is my first bunny. when hes like that it makes me love him more and more each day. Personally i dont think i could have a pet and not pick it up and cuddle and kiss it.... i guess im nuts.... :D

I pick up one of my rabbits briefly twice a day, once for a bum check and once to carry him over the 3ft width of laminate flooring in the hall that blocks his path to the lounge, where I usually feed him as I need to separate them for feeding. I dont hold him as he doesnt enjoy it, although will tolerate it sometimes, and he has now learnt that being picked up means he will be back down shortly and I'm not going to try and hold him, and has calmed down since he realised this, and is relaxed and is just like a floppy toy when I pick him up now.

I dont pick the other up unless I really have to, in fact I only ever touch her on her terms, as she doesnt like it , and although she will tolerate holding it is from fear, although she does seem relaxed to other people who dont know her well. She has become so much more trusting since I stopped trying to handle her and pet her, and now she will willingly let me give her noserubs (ask for them even!) and seems to enjoy it too. For bum checks I get her to periscope with a treat.

edit: As regards bringing them in, do keep an eye out for snuffles. Unfortunately once it is triggered it is often then a recurring incurable illness, but it is also important to get it treated quickly to prevent permenant scarring of the airways. I'd try and get a secure large run for them asap so they can stay outside.

Have you seen this thread? http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?323629-Those-bringing-rabbits-indoors-from-outdoors

Last edited:
I only got my little dappy yesterday and he is in a dog crate in my bedroom (which is a temp home) but whenever i go in to check on him or let him out for a run he stands on his hind legs at my feet to be picked up, when he hears me coming or even when he hears my voice hes straight to the door and straight in for the cuddles.... i think thats awesum considering ive ony had him a day and he is my first bunny. when hes like that it makes me love him more and more each day. Personally i dont think i could have a pet and not pick it up and cuddle and kiss it.... i guess im nuts.... :D

I'm not saying that he doesnt like it as some odd rabbits do, but most dont, or just tolerate it. I'd just be aware that he may just be asking for attention in general rather than to be picked up, perhaps spend some time on the floor with him and have cuddles and noserubs there as well- its pretty hard to give noserubs if you are holding a rabbit properly anyway.

Be aware as well that baby rabbits are more likely to tolerate being handled, so if he is a baby be aware he may change as he gets older, and that this is normal and natural.

As you're new I'll also just mention that if you put your rabbit on its back (like holding a baby) be careful you dont tip him back and trance him, as whilst they seem peaceful it is extremely stressful.

I pick up Inca all the time, she is no trouble. Herbie on the other hand is a fiesty wee thing, so i only pick him up when he needs groomed / nails cut / trip to the vets.

I pick all mine up even if they don't like it. Non of them seem distressed by it. Archie will let you pick him up on his terms. Only thing if I have to walk with my back to their hutch as if not he tries to jump out of my arms and into the hutch. Pearl hops away when she knows it's picking up time but doesn't struggle, same as Evie. Leo and Lois hate being picked up but would relax as soon as you have them!

Albie tries to climb up you, over your shoulder and it often ends up with me bent over double, shouting for help as he perches on my back. :roll:

Back