• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you get bad reactions from other pet owners?

*sigh* yeah... I get the "get a proper pet" thing, and so that sets me off on a rant about how if they never met Reggie then they will never understand how amazing rabbits can be... :oops::lol: nobody gets why I love bunnies, apart from RU peeps of course. :thumb:

Ive mentioned this before, but I've had issues with my father-in-law about why have I given my bunnies so much space, (would love to see his face if he got a chance to see some of the amazing bunny accommodation some RU'ers have... ;) ) and why do I keep a bunny in the house as it's going to make my children ill :)shock::evil:)

I've even had a remark of isn't my home made dirty by having a house rabbit... :cry:

Meh. I love my bunnies. :love:

I never get that kind of joke - I guess I just look intimidating.

I actually find people talking about their dogs tedious ( I generally dislike dogs a lot but wont go into that!! I also dislike children so people rarely talk to me about those either!) and dont actually tend to talk about the rabbits unless people ask.

Once they ask I will tell them how many I have and why, and a couple of sentences outlining the dreadful circumstances many rabbits come from and the numbers in rescue - no-one has ever ever replied by saying anything about pies.

Unless I come to RU I generally see everyone's eyes glaze over when I begin to talk about my rabbits, whether I was the one to bring them up or not. But then I gush about all my animals so I think I might just be good at boring people. :?
Meh...I guess it's not always true. There are a few folks who seem genuinely interested when they ask me what kind of pets I have at home. The one reaction I'll not soon forget is the nurse that helped care for me in hospital back in March who said she was actually terrified of rabbits so I purposely cut the conversation short as I could see she was a bit twitchy about them.

*sigh* yeah... I get the "get a proper pet" thing, and so that sets me off on a rant about how if they never met Reggie then they will never understand how amazing rabbits can be... :oops::lol: nobody gets why I love bunnies, apart from RU peeps of course. :thumb:

Ive mentioned this before, but I've had issues with my father-in-law about why have I given my bunnies so much space, (would love to see his face if he got a chance to see some of the amazing bunny accommodation some RU'ers have... ;) ) and why do I keep a bunny in the house as it's going to make my children ill :)shock::evil:)

I've even had a remark of isn't my home made dirty by having a house rabbit... :cry:

Yes, I get that. A lot of people seem to think I just live with piles of rabbit poos scattered across the carpet. They look surprised if you say rabbits are easily litter trained!

Yeh people seem to think of rabbits as boring pets still. I occasionally tell people at work about some of the stuff M&M get up to and they seem really surprised that they're actually really funny with completely different personalities.

The litter training thing raises a few eyebrows too. People don't seem to believe it but my bunnies are better litter trained than my cat was/is!

People think it's witty to bring up barbecue/oven jokes whenever I mention the rabbits, and still continue to think it witty the fifth time they make the same joke. Friend's parents; relatives.. I get Christmas cards sometimes with comics where the child comes home and the pet rabbit is on the table! It was never witty/funny, it never will be.

My 40 year old cousin once said to me, though 'I thought you'd stopped having small animals now, they're more children's pets'. Rabbits are not children's pets! Rabbits need as much attention as dogs.

Rabbits are hugely misperceived and underestimated and it's a shame, it really is.

Sorry to rant :S

My grandma was really angry I was allowed pets in my room at all because apparently its so unhygenic its going to make me really ill. I have 7 in my room and im fine :lol:

Pffft see the reactions you get when people find out I have rabbits, rats, snakes, tarantulas and lizards.

The worst reactions I've gotten have been with the rats. Once Stewart and me were forced to rush a very elderly rat in to the vet to be put to sleep. She had refused to be bonded with any other rats in her old age after losing all of her companions so we spent a lot of time with her. As we waited for our consultation we had her just wrapped in a blanket and I was sobbing. A woman approached us (as you do when it's blindingly obvious that a person is upset and wants to be left alone) and asked if we had a puppy. Stewart gave her a dirty look and replied that it was a rat only for the woman to scream, recover some dignity then ask if it was a wild or pet rat. By this point everyone in the waiting room was looking at her like she was from mars.

On another occasion a chap commented that my rat would make a good meal for his cat. Wasn't impressed when I replied that his cat would make an even better meal for my boa constrictor.

Nice retort!

Back