• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Distressing story (neglect leading to PTS)

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Pictures are graphic, though not gory. I urge you to read the whole story before passing judgement: like most newspapers it does some very sensationalist writing at the start.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/husba...er-wife-left/story-29650809-detail/story.html

Poor bunny. I mean, not knowing is not an excuse but I don't imagine it's unheard of elsewhere. I wouldn't say he's not solely to blame: she clearly didn't actually care. Obviously in the eyes of the law he is, and I think that's right, but morally she's not blameless.

Pictures are graphic, though not gory. I urge you to read the whole story before passing judgement: like most newspapers it does some very sensationalist writing at the start.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/husba...er-wife-left/story-29650809-detail/story.html

Poor bunny. I mean, not knowing is not an excuse but I don't imagine it's unheard of elsewhere. I wouldn't say he's not solely to blame: she clearly didn't actually care. Obviously in the eyes of the law he is, and I think that's right, but morally she's not blameless.

Oh that's terribly terribly sad :(

I agree, he is responsible for the rabbit, but she clearly didn't care about it either as you say :(

I adopted a Rabbit who came from a large Rescue whereby a Breeder had left his wife, also leaving his 'stock' with her. Out of sheer spite the woman refused to do anything for the Rabbits. Thankfully Deliah at Bobtails Rescue stepped in to help. A few of the Rabbits had to be PTS due to the effects of starvation and overall neglect. The Bunny I adopted, Rupert, was poorly and blood tests by my Vet revealed that he was in Renal failure, again due to severe neglect. He was only with me for 7 days, but in that time he got to feel grass under his paws for the first time in his life.

Oh that poor bunny :cry:
At peace now, wee one. Binky free.

I'm sorry...there's just no excuse. Both at fault and both should be prosecuted...not just the husband. If she couldn't take the bun with her a home should have been found since it was hers. If a domestic led to the split even moreso.

Easy for me to say I know...but you don't leave an animal with someone you are in any kind of dispute with any more than you would a child.

My rabbits were rescued from the wife of a breeder, who had left her together with all the rabbits :(.

Ignorance is no excuse at all, especially in this day and age. We have the internet, for God's sake. If you found yourself in charge of a child that wasn't yours, would you just say you didn't know how to take care of it and shut it in a bedroom?

Both are equally to blame and the lack of feeling is shocking. Poor Flossie :(

Oh, Flossie - binky free you poor, poor bun.

I am very glad the man in question put his hands up and accepted that Flossie had been subject to neglect when she'd been left in his care. But I also agree that it's not entirely his fault. When his wife left him, and the rabbit, and he said he didn't know how to keep them (and wasn't willing to research it either), they could have rehomed her and/or surrendered her to a rescue. Instead, she was left to get to a state where her suffering was so extreme that she couldn't continue living.

Such a sad story. :( I wish it were fictional, as a "life lesson" tale. :( :( :(

Oh, Flossie - binky free you poor, poor bun.

I am very glad the man in question put his hands up and accepted that Flossie had been subject to neglect when she'd been left in his care. But I also agree that it's not entirely his fault. When his wife left him, and the rabbit, and he said he didn't know how to keep them (and wasn't willing to research it either), they could have rehomed her and/or surrendered her to a rescue. Instead, she was left to get to a state where her suffering was so extreme that she couldn't continue living.

Such a sad story. :( I wish it were fictional, as a "life lesson" tale. :( :( :(

Exactly!!

I don't understand why she was PTS.
We recently had a rabbit handed in who was found in a box on the road.
Here are his teeth on arrival;

They were growing up his nose and into his tongue.
He also had a splay leg;

and he was underweight as he couldn't eat because of his teeth. He couldn't move because of his leg.
So we had the teeth burred and he will have them removed in about a month. We also had the splay leg amputated as it was dragging and seriously affecting his quality of life;

and he is now in a hospital cage next to me. 'Hopping' around and waiting for attention as I type this message.

I am sorry Flossie. RIP xxx

Poor little mite, I'm glad that he was handed into Furry Friends and you were able to help him. How anyone could just leave him in a box or indeed let him get in that state :(

So sad about Flossie too, both of them were at fault, how could they :evil: x

Last edited:
Back