• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Discouraging naughty behaviour in baby bunnies/litter training

sophiebssn

Young Bun
So we have adopted two baby bunnies who are about 5 months old each. They are two girls, sisters, both spayed, named Willow and Poppy :). They are little and still growing, and would eat forever if I let them!

I just wanted some advice on how to discipline their behaviour if I need to. Poppy is obsessed with our fluffy rug and is always trying to nibble at it and sometimes tries to 'dig' it. I want her to realise that she is not meant to do it, but at the moment just picking her up, saying 'no' firmly and moving her away isnt working. I dont want to scare her, or for her to be scared of me.
Willow is a bit bigger than poppy. They are both VERY energetic. When I walk they follow my feet like ducklings - Willow does this more because she is wanting to be fed ALL the time. Earlier this evening, I was eating, and she was trying to get up to me on the sofa, almost frantic to be fed (even though she had just had half her evening nuggets). I sat on the floor, because she likes to put her paws on my legs. She was sniffing around and getting a bit close (my old bunny would have nipped my trousers, so I was a bit wary, but trying to relx and give her the benefit of the doubt!). . She nipped my leg (and her little needle teeth really hurt!), I think because she wanted my food.

I took her straight outside and put her in the hutch so she would know she was naughty, Poppy soon joined her for nibbling the rug. How can I discourage this behaviour? I have read somewhere to squeal if they nip you, because it shows them that it hurts you or that you are scared. Somewhere else also suggested putting your hand over their head/shoulders, which basically shows that you are boss without scaring them.

We are also litter training them, so any advice on this is also appreciated! Thanks

Sophie :)

You can't discipline a bunny,that's just their normal behaviour.My two bridge buns were house rabbits and destroyed many things,cables, holes in sofas ,chair legs chewed,It's what rabbits do.They also stripped the wallpaper whereever their teeth could reach.I gave up worrying about it,it does help if your not houseproud,which I'm not.

You can't discipline a bunny,that's just their normal behaviour.My two bridge buns were house rabbits and destroyed many things,cables, holes in sofas ,chair legs chewed,It's what rabbits do.They also stripped the wallpaper whereever their teeth could reach.I gave up worrying about it,it does help if your not houseproud,which I'm not.

Ok, they are outdoor bunnies anyway. But what about the nipping? I just want to discourage her from that

They are always going to nibble at carpets, wallpaper, books etc, it's what they do.

As for nipping, a sharp short screech and cessation of all stroking, petting etc sometimes works but some bunnies will just carry on nipping regardless.

I would keep them in the same environment as the change in temperature is not good for their respiratory systems. This will solve the rug problem if they stay outside. You will have to start being firmer with their diet now they are 5 months old as they will start to put on weight if you overfeed them and you don't wnt that. Lots of hay keeps them happier.

I would say wait a little longer before bringing them inside - they are still very young so their behaviour is going to be "childish" of sorts. Short of you sectioning an area in your home off with no carpets etc, You wont ever be able to stop them nibbling at house items etc but you can provide lots of distractions - boxes, toys etc when they are indoors.

I used a "chew no more" product from P@H to get mine to stop eating their hutch and it has worked however i am not sure if you can put this on house hold items but it may be worth looking up.

Back