• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging for roots?

Hi.
This could also go in the diet chat I suppose.
Our new bun digs, but not in an escaping way. He seems to be biting at stuff in the ground after uncovering it with his paws and possibly eating roots? Either that or he's an archaeologist trapped in a rabbit's body. [emoji1787]
Any idea what he's digging for? I'm not bothered or wanting to stop it. He's very happy. I dont think he's stepped foot on grass for the best part of 18 months before he came to us, so he can carry on enjoying his new found freedom as far as I'm concerned. I'm just interested what he might be trying to get.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

It is a normal part of burrowing, Rabbits use their incisor teeth to clear debris from the area they choose to build a burrow. Once the burrow progresses they get down into the hole and start to push soil out with their front paws

One of my Rabbits started to dig yesterday and I wondered if it was because it was very hot the day before as it is cooler under the ground. They can eat earth as well. Unfortunately this Bunny is white so I knew straightaway what she had been doing!

One of my Rabbits started to dig yesterday and I wondered if it was because it was very hot the day before as it is cooler under the ground. They can eat earth as well. Unfortunately this Bunny is white so I knew straightaway what she had been doing!

Camoflage?

Camoflage?
Haha, I used ask tell Aboleth this! She loved rolling in loose dirt. Now they all do it :D

Our foster Buttons is a proper digger, he goes round all his holes every morning we let him out and makes sure they're just right :lol: We have lots of major roots/obstacles in our lawn (rubbish subsoil, big trees etc.) so he can't get more than about 6" in places but you can tell how good your grass is by how much pulling of roots they're doing :thumb:

Back