• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging box

Toffs and Pebbs

Warren Scout
Hi all

My rabbits are terrible diggers and as I'm thinking about a runaround I dont want it to end up like this:
fa41d250a01317d78a9d11a21623705c.jpg

So I would like a digging box and I'm a bit clueless really, what should the box be? And what should be in it? Answer to these questions are very appreciative and pictures of your dig boxes would be awesome too[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oh my look at the size of your garden is it as big as it looks, wish i had a massive garden, my digging box is just a large underbed storage box in and it has soil in my i have had newspaperin it and sand as well. I dont think you will fit one in the run with them though its too small really, can you not extend it, what id give to have so much space lol..

oh my look at the size of your garden is it as big as it looks, wish i had a massive garden, my digging box is just a large underbed storage box in and it has soil in my i have had newspaperin it and sand as well. I dont think you will fit one in the run with them though its too small really, can you not extend it, what id give to have so much space lol..

I am going (thinking) about getting a runaround so that they have more room that they could have a digging box in and I agree I'm lucky as I have got a big garden to spend time in[emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine are indoors and have this dig box from Manor Pet Housing.

cee40872dea72aaa3bba26d0de6de4a6.jpg

Many people use things like a kiddies plastic paddling pool filled with sand or soil.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have a lot of pictures of other peoples set ups for ideas and there are a lot of great digging boxes on them. Some had cheap, deep, planters filled with soil and others had done diy jobs from bits of wood to look like a wooden sand pit. If you don't mind sacrificing a bit of land for the buns then perhaps dig a hole and pop a plastic paddling pool or even just a regular plastic sand pit in there (Be aware that this will go everywhere, but it does allow them to dig at ground level without being able to escape or chew at the plastic :lol:). I have had to give up some flower pots filled with dirt to my bun as she just enjoyed sitting in them. There's also the option of cheap plastic dog beds, but these often have holes at the bottom and low sides, so perhaps getting a large cat litter tray with deep sides would be better if you wanted to go for that option. I also came across a picture with a huge sand area dedicated for the rabbits to dig and roll in as they please, it was simply a large mound of it on concrete so even with excessive digging/burrowing there was still no escaping. Hope these gave you a few ideas, but if you're going to expand their space you many not have an issue with them digging as it could be to do with boredom. :)

Back