• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difficult decision

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Hello all, back again after a while.
The last year has been hard, a lot has happened in my personal life. I keep feeling like im getting my footing again but then something else happens to knock me back. One of those things is i now have to consider giving my rabbits up for adoption. I recently started work and they want to get people back in the offices soon. I'll have to move up the line to the midlands. Ive been looking for places to rent but a lot are no pets. Ive considered sneaking them in but the other issue is i wont have anyone nearby to take care of them if im away (new job sometimes requires time away from home and i am dating a Canadian who im hoping to visit again at some point). It seems like an obvious choice, but i dont want to feel like im abandoning them. I also worry about what kind of people would adopt them.
But i know this lifestyle wont be fair on them anymore with the change in my circumstances. Its just quite depressing. Wondering if anyone has any words of advice.
Elle

A lot of ‘no pets‘ landlords will accept rabbits especially if they are outdoor in a hutch/run or in a pen indoors. You could ask at the exotics vets if they would do boarding or recommend boarding places. If giving them up for adoption is the option you choose then if they have been adopted from a rescue they will often want to handle the re homing. It’s not something you should rush into.

I agree with Zoobec. I would move them outdoors and give them a lovely set up there, I’ve never had an issue when I rented with outdoor pets :) Also, there are plenty of boarding facilities/pet sitters for when you go away. Sadly at the moment there is a National crisis and you’ll struggle to find a reputable rescue to take them on. There simply aren’t enough homes or enough spaces in rescue to take even 1/100th of the rabbits that we’re being asked to. This means prioritising the most at risk. I hope you manage to work something out.

Back