• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperate for bonding Advice.....please

sandieB

New Kit
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so would just like to introduce myself and 'pick some brains' about the joy of bonding rabbits :wave:
I've been reading the various posts about bonding rabbits but wondered if anyone can shed some light on my situation. We've had Bella, a Rex cross since December and she's roughly just under 5 months old (not yet neutered). She's a dear little girl, very friendly and we're very attached to her. We didn't want her being alone so 4 weeks ago we got Milo from our local RSPCA. We were advised that he was around 9 months to a year old and they arranged to have him neutered (about 5 weeks ago) - he's a Dutch by the way, a bit smaller than our Bella. Anyway, we've kept them in seperate hutches and runs opposite each other for the last 4 weeks where they have been able to see and smell each other. When Bella comes into the house we have been giving Milo the freedom of Bella's run as is it much larger than his, plus we intended that this would further allow them to 'swop' scents etc. We actually brought them face to face briefly last Thursday and Milo went straight for Bella's face, however no damage was done - I was holding Milo and my daughter was holding Bella so they were then put straight back into their hutches.The next day we brought them both together in the utility room which was neutral teritory for them both, he mounted her (several times), she mounted him, there was some nipping, nudging and fur pulling but generally it seemed to go well as on occassions Bella even laid down, at one point they laid down together but there was no mutual grooming, so after about 45 minutes we put them back in their respective hutches. The next day we expected things to get better but they seemed to take a turn for the worse; Bella was growling at Milo, wouldn't let him near her, was warning him off and pulled quite a bit of fur, poor little fella was persistent though and even tried to groom her but she was having none of it. We put them back and tried the next day, which was sort of the same (but not quite as bad) and today was a repeat of the previous day, only at one point Milo was just laying in the carrier when a noise 'spooked' Bella and she jumped in there with him and they sat together really nicely for a while so I ended up putting them in Bella's run together. I don't know if this was a good idea as he then kept pursuing her with her then proceeding to growl and nip at him and running away. I left them for some time in the hope that they would sort things out, but unfortunately not. In the end we put Milo back in his hutch but Bella now seems very subdued, she was even growling at my daughter and I when we went to feed her and was hiding under her hutch. Can anyone tell me the best course of action to take now? I'm worried that she's no longer the happy bunny we used to have and that we've really gone and upset her and that she won't be the same again. Should we carry on bringing them together in neutral teritory or should I stop until she's been neutered? Any help would be very much appreciated as I don't like seeing our little Bella like this.....Thank you.:cry:

Hi, and welcome to the forum:wave:. I think you have two problems here: Firstly, Bella isn't neutered and Milo may still have a few random hormones knocking about as it can take about 6 weeks for them to go. The other thing is that everytime you seperate them for the night you go back to square one. As long as there is no serious fighting (i.e. locking on and kicking at each other as well as serious biting) it's best to hold your nerve and keep them together otherwise it's a case of three steps forward and one back each time. I'd be inclined to go back to what you were doing previously and reintroduce them after she has been neutered, and then when you have a whole weekend(if you have to go out to work, that is!) free dedicate that time to the bonding.:)

Thanks for the welcome and advise!:D I was just very worried about our little Bella - to think we initially thought that Milo would be the one to be mean to her. I even visited the vets at our local 'Pets at Home' this morning for advise and they virtually told me to forget it and that she won't accept him and they are best left on their own as rabbits are quite happy alone......something that I somehow don't agree with seeing as rabbits are social animals :? The fighting isn't bad, it just seems like she's warning him to stay away from her rear end, she growls at him rather a lot and when they meet face to face they are lowering their heads and appear to be nose to nose in what looks like a 'Mexican standoff', whilst she does all the growling and moaning at him. After a few seconds of this, she seems to almost go for him if he sniffs at her too much and approaches her bottom. On one occasion he started to groom her face and ears but then blew it when he approached her tail (sounds like a typical fella :lol:) If I keep them apart until after Bella is spayed and has recovered, are they likely to forget these initial meetings and arguments with each other and get along better (lack of hormones also helping) - or is there now a good possibility they will hold a grudge and be 'unbondable'. Alternatively, if I continue before Bella is spayed, and keep them in the run together without seperating them at night each time, how long should I give it before giving up. Sorry for what may seem like silly or obvious questions to experienced bunny owners but Bella's our first bun and we really wanted to give her a good life - I think she's a bit spoilt really as my husband has even converted one of our stables into a large run area for her during the winter months! Anyway, thanks for all your help - it's very much appreciated.

Hi Sandie. Please never think that your questions might be deemed "silly".:) We were all fist time owners at one time and there honestly is no such thing as a daft question:lol: . All the behaviours you've described are normal and very positive signs that the bonding will go well eventually, especially the nose to nose situation which didn't end in an attack from one or other of them:thumb: If it is convenient to keep them in seperate hutches and runs within sight and smell of each other then do that until she is spayed and then bond them. However, if you feel brave enough continue with the bonding in a neutral place and don't seperate them at all. Keep us posted:D

Thanks for the encouragement. However, call me paranoid but I've just been up to see the buns and Bella is still very subdued, she's still trying to hide under her hutch and I noticed that she has soiled her 'bedroom' area - something she has NEVER done before. I feel that Instead of helping her by getting her a friend, I've somehow hurt her feelings and been cruel to her...:cry:

I'm sure she'll be fine and as long as she is still eating as normal try not to worry. It may be that the "soiling" is her way of marking her territory. I'll pm you

Back