• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dentals? U/D: Peter had dental number 3 today(3rd since Aug)

Good luck at vets. If you see my post in time - ask for some sub-cut fluids to be given. Dehydration is one of the critical things slowing down the poop production! Even if you get the line from your vet 'Oh he's not dehydrated' - say please could I have some anyway just to make sure and put my mind at rest! Always works for me with not so savy vets and it really does help get that tummy moving again. Some gut motility meds and higher pain relief may also help. Good luck x

Peter was given an injection to try and get his gut moving and we have also been given tablets to help with this. They start this evening.

He just nibbled the peeling from a runner bean ... only a tiny bit, but thats progress.

He is led in his litter tray and has produced ONE very tiny poop since we have been back.

He has drank about 40ml of water since we have been back. I am guessing this is good. :?

I was going to syringe feed him but am going to leave him because I think he is really trying to have a poop. Will do it within the next hour. ;)

If you give him his water in a bowl with a dash of boiling (to make it tepid), they seem to drink more by themselves ;)

It is good that he has started to pass something. Can you get a variety of herbs, including strong smelling ones such as thyme as this sometimes tempts mine. Carrot tops and also some grated carrot has come to the rescue for me too.

No more poop since the ONE tiny one earlier.

Peter has been syringe fed lots of food but is STILL NOT EATING. (about 10ml each feed) He has been fed four times today.

He has had a yoghurt drop and will not be tempted by anything else. :(

No more poop since the ONE tiny one earlier.

Peter has been syringe fed lots of food but is STILL NOT EATING. (about 10ml each feed) He has been fed four times today.

He has had a yoghurt drop and will not be tempted by anything else. :(

Is he on pain relief? How much - and how much does he weigh?
Have you managed to syringe him any fluids? He may need more pain relief and fluids. I am concerned at how long this has been going on now. I would want him given sub-cut fluids and extra pain relief tonight, as well as possibly a conscious Xray to check for any abdominal obstruction and if all clear - then a course of metclopramide AND ranitidine given together.

Is he on pain relief? How much - and how much does he weigh?
Have you managed to syringe him any fluids? He may need more pain relief and fluids. I am concerned at how long this has been going on now. I would want him given sub-cut fluids and extra pain relief tonight, as well as possibly a conscious Xray to check for any abdominal obstruction and if all clear - then a course of metclopramide AND ranitidine given together.

He weighs 3.5kg and had a 3.5kg dose of loxicam this morning and is due it again tomorrow morning.

He has had his ranitidine and metclopramide will be administered now! ;)

Can you get him to move around gently? Sometimes this can help get things moving.

Have you tried the water with a dash of boiling (only so luke warm) in to tempt him to drink on his own (it helped when Katy had a blockage-she drank a lot more)

He weighs 3.5kg and had a 3.5kg dose of loxicam this morning and is due it again tomorrow morning.

He has had his ranitidine and metclopramide will be administered now! ;)

This seems quite a low dose to me :? I'm concerned it is not sufficient to manage his dental pain, let alone his abdominal pain now he is in stasis.

I really do think if he has not done any more droppings this morning that he must go back to the vet this morning for higher pain relief and some fluids given under the skin. I would also ask that they examine his tummy for any impactions/blockages and if necessary Xray him consciously if possible to double check. I hope he starts to eat and do some droppings soon x

ETA if your vets don't feel the above is important when he hasn't passed anything but one tiny dropping for several days now then I would suggest you find a more rabbit savy vet today!

It seems like what you are describing is sounding very much like some sort of blockage. I would insist the vet do a full palpation of the GI tract or take an x-ray to determine if and where it is, as he has passed very little in several days. A blockage is a very painful condition and needs adequate pain relief.

I hope the vet can promptly sort this out for Peter.

Hello again.

We have been back to the vets and they have poked his tummy and commented on how bright and lively he is! :oops:

He has pooped FOUR tiny poops this afternoon and we have been given Fibreplex.

He is drinking and taking his syringe food but is not eating independently.

He snatches the food off me, spits it out then hops off.

The vet has said if he hasn't resumed back to normal by the morning he has to be admitted. :(

Hello again.

We have been back to the vets and they have poked his tummy and commented on how bright and lively he is! :oops:

He has pooped FOUR tiny poops this afternoon and we have been given Fibreplex.

He is drinking and taking his syringe food but is not eating independently.

He snatches the food off me, spits it out then hops off.

The vet has said if he hasn't resumed back to normal by the morning he has to be admitted. :(

It's about time they took this seriously. I would hope that they would put him on a drip for fluids and give him more pain relief, as well as syringe feed him. Did they feel anything on examination in his abdomen? How did his caecum feel? Did they say? If you do take him back in the morning I would personally be insisting on a conscious abdominal Xray at this point and DEFINITELY fluids - I can't stress the importance of fluids and adequate pain relief enough, I strongly feel that they should have provided this days ago to prevent this going on so long. Poor Peter, I do hope he feels better soon, you must be exhausted by his care.

If he is snatching food and then spitting it out this could be a sign that his pain is not being managed OR his dental issues have still not been resolved.
Good luck tonight and tomorrow x

ETA just read back on your first post and realised you were the person who is near to Jason Burgess? Can you not take Peter to him first thing tomorrow instead of your regular vet? I feel Peter needs expert care.
I'm sorry I forgot this fact earlier - I read a lot of health threads and get members confused. :oops:

Last edited:
Hello again.

Peter has spent the whole day at the vets. He ate dandelions and did a couple of little hards poops for them.

He was given lots of fluid and they fed him throughout the day.

They cannot feel any blockage and say that he is very bright (which he is).

He licked my fingers when I pciked him up.

I am going back to the vets tomorrow to find out how to give him fluids under the skin. :? Not really sure what this is but apparently lots of fluids are good.

Is Peter home with you now?

Has he been on a drip to give him the fluids he needs and did they do an x-ray of his gut?

I think if he was the same tomorrow I would take him to see Jason Burgess as prettylupin has recommended.

Have you tried soaking pellets in water for a few minutes before you give them to him. If they're soft they shouldn't hurt his mouth. And I always make porridge with apple and banana and puree it for my buns when they don't eat. But get him back onto dry food as soon as you can because it helps ware the teeth down.

Also you could massage his tummy or rub his side for him to get things moving, if they can move.

Good luck.

Hooray!!! Peter is starting to poop more and the poop is actually beginning to look like poop!!! ;)

He is very bouncy and seems to be happy. He is still NOT eating. He will nibble and then give up.

The vet has checked his mouth and even put her finger to check it doesn't feel sore. He still has a big ulcer. He loves apple and pear baby food through the syringe but won't really eat veg, hay or pellets. I have tried making the pellets soft with water and Peter tipped the bowl over!

Any ideas to make him eat? :)

Hooray!!! Peter is starting to poop more and the poop is actually beginning to look like poop!!! ;)

He is very bouncy and seems to be happy. He is still NOT eating. He will nibble and then give up.

The vet has checked his mouth and even put her finger to check it doesn't feel sore. He still has a big ulcer. He loves apple and pear baby food through the syringe but won't really eat veg, hay or pellets. I have tried making the pellets soft with water and Peter tipped the bowl over!

Any ideas to make him eat? :)

Yes higher pain relief.

He is 3.5kg but is having a 5kg dose of painkiller. How much more can I give him?

Thanks.

They have put it up then have they? I remember it was 3.5kg dose when he was ill a few days ago - well atleast that is something.

Dosage must be calculated and approved by the vet - I can not tell you how much to give him as it is a prescription medicine, and it also depends on how long it is given for as the accumulative effects on the liver/kidney over several days - weeks will affect the dosage given and for how long. Personally, and I will say this again, I would take Peter to Jason Burgess if he is still not back to normal - he has been poorly and not voluntarily eating for too long IMO.

Back