• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dental buns - please list

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
please list any dental buns you have had with molar issues most of all, put their breed, the age it became apparant and how often they need treatment
and costs

mitzi - mini lop (3years old) molar spurs, and also some teeth that had just vanished (along time ago now £45), had them done a few times though died of gi statis aged 4 and half
mowgli - mini lop was diagnosed with molar dental problem (from 14weeks) although it never caused him a problem throughout his life so he never had a dental
mabel - mini lop (5months think?) last year she had a few dentals, then from sept to this year oct went without a dental (100 range, although was half price for while so cost £53 last week)

as can see all where/are mini lop rabbits so dwarf breeds, although i had rosie a nethie and she had no issues

My Rocky is a dental bun he is 1 year 7 months is a BEW Beveren and just had his molar spurs done last month. It cost around £175 (but that included nasal swabs which was about £40 I think)

Poppy, aged 5.

Problems started age 3 and first dental the same year.

Molar spurs, rotten teeth and abscesses on her jaw.
Recovered from abscesses and has needed another dental since to remove more teeth and remove 2 spurs.

Not sure on breed but she has a very small jaw and face.

Has come to around £400 over the 2 years purely for dentals and treatment.

Edit: Leo is a dental bun but we're still fixing it from his lack of hay for 5 years! He is 6 years old and a German lop (we think), he has molar spurs but that is it :)

Last edited:
Mischa had a couple of dentals. I'm not sure I'd call him a dental bunny as the second was more due to the wonky face he had.

But he had two dentals over the last couple of years of his life. One was free as it was during another op. The other cost £80. He was a mini lop and it started around age four.

Barnaby - RIP aged 6 - Lionhead breed - first discovered problem molars at 4 years old (had been fine before that). Needed dentals every 8-10 week's after discovery. Cost £25 each time.
Unfortunately Barnanby died after GA for emergency operation on a tooth root absess that appeared very quickly when his molars collapsed from disease which was hidden (didn't know he had it as we kept it unwittingly under control with such regular dentals!)
Bo - aged 6 - Lionhead breed - first discovered problem molars at 1 year old. Needs dentals every 8-10 week's. Cost £25 each time.
Mr Bingley - aged 7 (we think) - Lionhead breed - unknown how long he's had problem molars but he was 3 when we rescued him and he's needed dentals every 6-8 week's since then. His prev owner didn't know rabbits had molars so ... Cost £25 each time
Blakey - aged 6 - Lionhead breed - as above re Bingers, she needed inciscors removed and had dental molars when we rescued her aged 2 and has needed dentals every 6-8 week's since then. Same prev owner as Bingers so assuming she had problems before that but wasn't detected. Cost £25 each time.

I'm considering paying into our vet's brew fund I'm there so often :)

As you can see they're all Lionheads and I only found out that a lot of this breed need dentals regularly due to the shape of their head after we had Bo and Barnaby for a few months, hence we knew what we would be taking on when we rescued Bingley and Blakey from the lady we got the original 2.
Wouldn't change them for the world but am quite wary of getting another Lionhead now

Last edited:
I pay £65 for each dental. Antibiotics vary in cost depending on the med.

Sky- nethie, 3 years (now 7 years), every 3 months

Sandy- nethie, 3 years (now 6 years 11 months), every 5ish months.

Star- nethie, 8 months (now 5.5 years), varies. Had elongated tooth roots three years prior to needing a dental, and then his dental times quite quickly halved each time, leaving him having them every 2 weeks 2 days. Abscess diagnosed and treated then dental time extended again. Last one was 10 weeks 5 days after the last.

Hope- nethie 14 months (now 5.5 years), roughly every 10-11 months.

Dawn- nethie 4 years (now 5.5 years), roughly every 6 months.

Angel- nethie, 2 years (now 5.5 years), varies. Dental times have decreased since first dental. Now monthly. Abscess diagnosed and is undergoing treatment.

Lightning- nethie, 3 years (now 5.5 years), varies. Dental times have decreased since first dental. Abscess diagnosed and is undergoing treatment.

Dusk- nethie, 18 months (now 5.5 years), varies. Was originally every 14 weeks, but once he was bonded this time extended and he is now 2 years 9 months free from needing a dental and managing well.

PLEASE NOTE: Sky and Sandy are parents to Star, Dawn, Hope, Angel, Lightning and Dusk. Those are their sons. They also have a daughter, Sunny. Sunny has no dental problems up until now, at all; her teeth were deemed 'perfect' at last check in July. Mum (Sandy) and dad (Sky) started showing dental issues over 18 months after having kits. The boys all have the same problematical teeth as mum, and the three that have had abscesses have all had identical abscesses on the same tooth (lower right).

Autumn- dwarf lop- had first dental just before his second birthday (now 3 and a half)- question mark over whether it was the cause of his problems (probably wasn't), had another one six months later under similar circumstances- since getting his real issue diagnosed he has gone a year with no dental and his symptoms managed.

Flame- lionlop- 2.5 years- first dental this Thursday but problems seen nearly 2 years ago. Has managed them himself until now.

Wish (Flame's sister- lionlop)- 16 weeks- was every 10 weeks but has been extended now to every 6 months- has a small mouth and too many teeth for her mouth so they are all arranged higgledy piggledy; has elongated tooth roots and need constant, daily Metacam to manage this. No abscesses yet.

Dopey 1- nethie- 2 years (now 6.5 years)- only had two dentals.

Dopey 2- nethie- a year (recently deceased after dental)- roughly every 6-9 months.

Badger- nethie (Dopeys' cousin- also deceased)- a year- roughly every 6 months.

Butterfly- lionhead- 1 year (now 2.5 years)- roughly every 6-7 months but this was extended once.

Crystal- lop cross unknown age, unknown age of onset (we think she is roughly 2-3 and she had her first and currently only dental in April this year).

Snowy- former foster- french lop- 15 months (now roughly 2 years)- has had one dental but will likely need another imminently.

Little- former foster (Butterfly's brother)- lionhead- 9 months (now 2.5 years) as far as I know that was the only dental.

Cloud- nethie- 18 months- 2 years (now deceased)- roughly every 6 months.

Er, that enough? :lol:

My George was a dental bun (now a Bridge bun). First dental was at 6 years old, under a GA (I can't remember how much it cost me), then he had conscious dentals for molar spurs about every 12 weeks which used to cost me about £35 each time. He was a mini-lop and lived to be over 11 years old!

yeah thats enough sky-o :lol: i just wanted to get a picture of breeds most affected, knowing that most are the dwarf ones, was nterested n knowng if any where lonheads, as my cousin has them and has been soo lucky, and they are just kept like pet rabbits are normally by people not like us in hutch and no vaccinations or anything

My Herbie was a dental bun. He was a lop.

Problems started at 18 months old. Dentals every 6 weeks. At 3 years old his condition worsened and dentals became more frequent, on average every 3 weeks.

Dentals every three weeks continued until he passed away in January of this year, age 7 years. He was perfectly fiine at bedtime, but I found him 'asleep' the following morning in his usual sleeping position.

Dentals were about £50 when he first started with his problems, but with general price increases over the years they rose to just under £70.

Life dealt Herbie an appalling set of teeth, but despite his problems he lived life to the full. We were lucky as Herbie coped well with the anaesthetics, he bounced back very quickly and would be eating as soon as he came round.

Violet had dental problems that started when she was 5 yrs, she was a lionhead. The vets did mention to me that Lionheads were prone to dental issues due to their small jaws. Don't know how true this is though as I'm no expert.

Charlie had molar spurs in April 2010, but has so far not needed any treatment/hay has controlled it.
He was 2 then, and he's a lionhead x dwarf lop

JayJay lion-lop 4.5-5 years old

Apparently JayJay had never been to a vet before he was surrendered and there was nothing recorded about his dental disease while he was at the rescue.

We got him in March and his condition was poor but we put it down to his background. When he failed to improve we took him to the vet in June who confirmed he had a molar missing. The result was the adjacent tooth was very overgrown and he had spurs on nearly all of his back teeth.

He's had three dentals since we got him with the last one only three weeks after the previous. At the minute the plan is to eventually remove the tooth by loosening it a little each time but it depends on how well he copes with having frequent dentals.

Milly-small lop
First dental at approx 2 years old.
Molars. Has to have teeth 'ground' down and then she lasts a while. At worst we faced weekly dentals. Now she lasts a couple of months or so. Also had abscesses from her teeth.

Jacob
Dutch
First dental approx 2 years
Jacob had a severe inner ear infection and it resulted in paralysis of some of his facial muscles on one side. His dental issues were exacerbated by this as his face was awry.
Dentals ever 6 weeks or so.

Back