• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Constantly worried about my bun

Hi All, I posted on here not long ago as my Ronnie had stopped eating, he had dental work and is now back to eating normally - All food in his cage gone in the morning when I get him out and he grazes all day and he is happy in himself - but I dont know, I just feel worried and paranoid about him all the time. I feel like since he was ill he now breathes really quickly and shallow (not sure if he did that before but I just never noticed?) and some treats he snatched off me before he was ill he no longer touches. He lays on his side all the time and is by my side more than he used to be. Do you think I should take him back to the vets even though on the whole he is eating normally (minus some of the treats) and otherwise does seem happy and healthy??

Do you live in the UK ? It could be down to the hot weather, wherever you live has likely been very warm. If you need any advice on keeping bunny cool, just ask :) If in doubt you could ring the vet for advice, and will put your mind at rest.

How old is your Bunny? Did the Vet mention that he was overweight at all? Does he have some company every day as Rabbits can lose the will to eat if on their own a lot. Do you consider his diet to be very good in accordance with the latest information we have?

I agree with the advice given. One of my previous bunnies was a sole house bunny and needed dentals, after one of them he was slow to recover and had ulcers in his mouth caused by the spurs. He was reluctant to eat and only seemed to be eating when I was with him. So I got him a bunny friend from a rescue and she was just what he needed to encourage him to eat. He was much happier and in fact ate so much hay from then on he didn’t need any more dentals for the rest of his life.

How old is your Bunny? Did the Vet mention that he was overweight at all? Does he have some company every day as Rabbits can lose the will to eat if on their own a lot. Do you consider his diet to be very good in accordance with the latest information we have?

Hi, he is 8 months old now. I work from home so am with him all day every day. Like I said he is eating fine (apart from now wanting some of the treats he did previously) but other treats he still snatches from my hands haha. Yeah his diet is tip top and he isn't overweight x

I agree with the advice given. One of my previous bunnies was a sole house bunny and needed dentals, after one of them he was slow to recover and had ulcers in his mouth caused by the spurs. He was reluctant to eat and only seemed to be eating when I was with him. So I got him a bunny friend from a rescue and she was just what he needed to encourage him to eat. He was much happier and in fact ate so much hay from then on he didn’t need any more dentals for the rest of his life.

Hey! He does eat when I am not with him as his cage is empty in the morning when I get him out, and he is with me all day as I work from home. I was told that rabbits fight if they have never lived with another one before? He was a rescue and was on his own when I got him so worried if I got another he would just fight with it? x

Rabbits will likely fight when not introduced properly, however they are very social and bond closely when done properly. The best pairing is a neutered male and spayed female. If your boy isn't neutered yet you'd need to wait 6 weeks after the op for hormones to die down. A reputable rescue will spay their females so you don't need to worry about that and help you with any bonding advice. The rabbits need to be introduced on neutral territory in a small space, then gradually introduce larger space/neutral items. There is loads of threads in behaviour and bonding on this :) it doesn't matter that he's been on his own so far, he is only young and much older bunnies still bond well.

If you have concerns about his breathing change, you could try to count his breaths (when his side's either move in or out) and compare it to normal rabbit values?

Rabbits will likely fight when not introduced properly, however they are very social and bond closely when done properly. The best pairing is a neutered male and spayed female. If your boy isn't neutered yet you'd need to wait 6 weeks after the op for hormones to die down. A reputable rescue will spay their females so you don't need to worry about that and help you with any bonding advice. The rabbits need to be introduced on neutral territory in a small space, then gradually introduce larger space/neutral items. There is loads of threads in behaviour and bonding on this :) it doesn't matter that he's been on his own so far, he is only young and much older bunnies still bond well.

If you have concerns about his breathing change, you could try to count his breaths (when his side's either move in or out) and compare it to normal rabbit values?

Thanks so much for your response. I will definitely look into getting another rescue to keep him company. The only thing is he had a really bad reaction to the anaesthetic when he had to have this for his dental work and so the vet advised against ever putting him under again unless life threatening as he did have the neutering booked in at the time, I really really would not want him going under again either as it was the worst 48 hours ever! Do you think it would still be a good idea to get another bun? Like I say he is eating alot and does seem happy in himself I think I am just paranoid from when he was ill! RE his breathing, now it is alot cooler today I have noticed it has slowed down. I do keep him cool on hot days though with ice packs, fans ice cold water etc etc x

Ah that's good news, he was probably just feeling the heat before :) You may struggle to bond him unneutered, as it would still need to be with a spayed female but he may harass/mount her a lot. It's worth getting in touch with rescues see what they say though. I'm sorry he had a bad reaction to the GA and understand it would be a concern putting him under again, I've seen vets use a different anaesthetic combination in cases like that in the hope they won't react to different anaesthetic agents.

Back