• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold snap - snow/frost update (post 25)

Apparently the data coming out of the computers is showing serious parallels to the bitterly cold winter of 1981.

I think lottielouise meant this part, where you said there is data coming out of the computers - which computers? ;)

If the figures are right, I think I'll hibernate. :lol::lol:

I think lottielouise meant this part, where you said there is data coming out of the computers - which computers? ;)

If the figures are right, I think I'll hibernate. :lol::lol:

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood what she was getting at. The data comes from computers at the MetOffice, GFS, JPA etc. A number of the computer systems are private forecasting systems used by the aviation industry.

Well, the ground has been frozen solid here since Thursday, and the temperature hasn't been above 2 degrees. It was -4 this morning at 8.30am!:shock:

Weather update!

A regional update for the next few days:

"As it stands, from 12 pm tomorrow [ie today, Friday], areas most at risk of heavy snow showers is Kent, Sussex, Essex, London, East Anglia, Norfolk and Rutland. There could be up to 10 cm of lying snow by the end of Friday. The north east of England and the eastern side of Scotland will also be at risk of snow, but to a lesser extent. There will also be widespread hard frosts in most areas by night as temperatures fall to as low as -10 C by Friday night.

Then this weekend, all eyes will be towards the north as a cold front advances southwards in from the North Pole. That is most likely to bring more persistent snow to Scotland by Saturday."

ETA: Snow showers are predicted along most of the eastern side of the country as well.

Last edited:
Back