• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claw Clipping New Bunny

Whiteysar

New Kit
Hi all,

We adopted a dwarf lop from Pets at Home locally and I’ve been trying to bond with her the last few months (she’s been with us nearly 5 months) though it’s proving hard, she still enjoys a snort at me for some reason most days.

Thing is her claws have got VERY long - I used to clip claws of our previous house bunny but having had him from around 16 weeks he was far more willing! I’m getting really concerned that they’ve got so long, any advice on how to get this done with minimal distress - if that’s possible??
Thank you

Hi all,

We adopted a dwarf lop from Pets at Home locally and I’ve been trying to bond with her the last few months (she’s been with us nearly 5 months) though it’s proving hard, she still enjoys a snort at me for some reason most days.

Thing is her claws have got VERY long - I used to clip claws of our previous house bunny but having had him from around 16 weeks he was far more willing! I’m getting really concerned that they’ve got so long, any advice on how to get this done with minimal distress - if that’s possible??
Thank you

You say that your Bunny 'snorts' at you. Is she spayed ? If not this may contribute to her not being keen on being handled/touched.

Have you tried getting someone else to hold her whilst you clip her nails ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCrJtXNI00E

I sit down with bunny on my knee and try to calm him/her is nervous. Then I take one paw at a time. If the rabbit is really nervous I get a towel and cover their face, this helps sometimes, but it is much easier if there are two of you.

Thank you. She’s really still uncomfortable with physical contact. Do you think if I use a towel or something similar I can still recover a relationship with her afterwards?

My two both hate being held completely, so I only pick them up for nail trims and general health checks. I do the 'bunny burrito' where essentially you wrap them really safely and securely in a towel. This might be your best bet given how long the claws are. I always have a treat for straight afterwards, they are grumpy with me for a while but soon get over it!

Thanks for this - I have now managed to get the clipping done, I’ve not done a perfect job but much better.
Pretty sure im more traumatised than she is!
Thanks again

Glad you managed to get them done. :D
Does anyone have any advice on clipping nails when you’re on your own? Pickle and Beans were due to have their vaccinations and nails done the day after lockdown started and so they’re really long now and I need to put on my big girl pants and do it. I’ve been trying to get them used to my fiddling with their front paws the past few days with variable amounts of success. How do you burrito a bunny so you can still get to their nails?

Back