• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chopping 2' off Bottom of Shed? UD p33 Bought a Bike Shed!

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
I've thought of a new project to take my mind off things.

I'd like to upgrade one of the hutches to a 4x6 shed. The problem is that a shed is too tall. I've looked at playhouses, but they're ridiculously expensive compared to sheds.

So my question is, how hard is it to chop 2' off the bottom of a shed?

I'm sure someone on here said they'd done just that, but I can't find the thread.

The best I've found so far is this one from B&Q:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11317513&fh_reftheme=promo_159030093%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372012}%2fcategories%3C{9372017}%2fcategories%3C{9372061}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dwooden_sheds&fh_view_size=12&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372012}%2fcategories%3C{9372017}%2fcategories%3C{9372061}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dwooden_sheds%2fspecificationsSpecificProductType%3dsingle_door_sheds&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&isSearch=false
But they don't deliver!

Thank you! :wave:

Last edited:
:shock: 'Easy' was the answer I was looking for! Not 'ambitious'! :lol:

Thank you for the offer. :) I'm hoping my dad will be doing most of the work though! :oops: I might hold the wood for him. Mostly I'll be drinking coffee and pointing. :lol:

Making the inside look pretty is more a job for me! :) Oh and I can paint it. Got the paint from Wilkinson's already. :)

Well you would need to put in some new support timbers on the back of the slats since you are chopping off the existing bottom timber frame. Getting it completely level would be the hardest part. It's doable though with moderate DIY skills.

Why is it too tall? I'd say the benefit of a shed is the height, because you can stand upright in it. At 4' high, you're going to be crawling about to clean it unless you're very short.

I'd say my dad has at least moderate DIY skills!

It's too tall as it's going in front of the sun room. I think 6ft would block too much light. I don't mind crawling to clean them out, or sitting on the floor with them! :)

I've got plenty of bits of wood around here if something needs strengthening.

How big is the hutch? Have you considered a aviary with a roof and the current hutch inside?

Or, go for a shed with windows down one side, then as your DIY, add windows the other so the light goes all the way through. That would give loads of light in the shed too and in summer you could swap them out for mesh for ventilation.

They've already got an 8'x7' run, I just want to increase their indoor space before winter.

A 4x6 playhouse would be ideal, but I can't find one for under £200. Seems bonkers when I've found a 4x6 shed for £99.99.

Surely there's less wood in the playhouse so it should be cheaper?!

Putting in extra windows sounds like a lot of DIY. I think it would still look quite imposing for the space. I think a playhouse would look nicer.

Does it matter which side the door is on? I mean the 6 or 4 foot side? I've got a few places I can look, including the place I got mine from :wave:

It doesn't matter which side the door is on :wave:

The cheapest playhouse I've seen so far is £274.99. :(

If you know a special place that would be great! :D

There's loads of small business' on ebay that are happy to change stuff around for you. It only took me a few enquiries to get one that suited me. Since yours is a 'standard' size and you only want it made shorter it shouldn't be that much, cost wise!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6x4-deluxe-do...pplies_Dogs&hash=item27bb52c9cd#ht_686wt_1139 I'm sure they'd block off the square bit if you wanted them to, not sure about the height but again I'm sure they can adjust that.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....3018710&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_720wt_905 this is the exact one I bought, but I got them to add a stable door, made it 6 x 5 and had 2 windows put in. And made slightly taller. It's a little more expensive, but I reckon worth it!

Also, when I was looking for a shorter shed than normal I searched for bike sheds, that might work out cheaper than searching for a wendy house but would pretty much be the same thing really. And if you buy it off someone you can always ask them to just have one door instead of 2!

EDIT: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10086624&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372012}/categories%3C{9372017}/categories%3C{9372061}/specificationsProductType=garden_storage/specificationsSpecificProductType=bike_storage&tmcampid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go&CAWELAID=266980551 <- that link does work if you copy & paste :lol:! I mistakenly thought it was 6 x 4 width and depth but it's only 6 x 2 :( I've left the link anyway though :oops:

EDIT (again): http://www.shedsworld.co.uk/c/View_All_Garden_Stores.htm check out some of those, guess it depends how strict you are for space. If you can fit 7 x 3 or some other combination there are loads there that are kinda cheap. Not sure if delivery is extra though

Last edited:

The one that you bought, does he really deliver and install anywhere? It might be pricey with the extra windows though.

This is giving me a headache! I've sent a bunch of links to my dad for his opinion. He wants to view the B&Q shed first in store to see if chopping is an option.

The one that you bought, does he really deliver and install anywhere? It might be pricey with the extra windows though.

This is giving me a headache! I've sent a bunch of links to my dad for his opinion. He wants to view the B&Q shed first in store to see if chopping is an option.

Yep he's great! He got ours up in about 30 mins or so, my mom said! He charged me an extra £15 for the door, and an extra £30 for 2 windows, but he wouldn't do opening windows for me. We've had to do them ourselves (about to do it tomorrow :oops:)

If you want, I can post some pics of the inside? I don't know if you're planning to insulate/board it but it might be helpful to see some insidey pics :)

The thing we'd advise is at some points there is no joist to fix the plywood to, so we got some 45 x 45mm planed all round joist thingies and glued/screwed them into the frame at certain points to allow us to fix. I thought I'd mention that just incase you wanna know it before you start, as it was a pain to do it half way through :lol:

Have a look at playhouses world and see, I think they start cheaper than that.

Just had a look, the cheapest 6x4 is £283.99 :(

Oh so close! I'm not going to be able to squeeze a 5x5 in. :( That's a much better price though!

This is the best one I've found so far:
http://www.tigersheds.com/product_detail.asp?prod=17

Back