• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheaper alternatives to care fresh type bedding?

Holhol

Alpha Buck
Just looking for a cheaper way of cleaning out! I've been using a care fresh type bedding called cosi n dry which is really good, but it's costing me a fortune at the moment :(

He has an indoor cage as his litter and hay area which gets mini cleaned daily (wet and poos out) and big cleaned once a week, so I fill this with the bedding at big clean out/add a bit in if taken some out. Hes really good about doing his poos and wees in there but he is a nightmare to litter train! He won't use a hay rack so getting him to do it in one corner is very difficult.

Can't use newspaper with hay on top as newspaper is his absolute favourite thing to eat, tried paper cat litter and wood litter pellets but worked out about the same as cosi n dry and weren't as nice.

What are aubuose and Fitch like? Any other good ideas? :)

I don't know about aubrose or fitch :( However I have after 24 years of using wood based cat litter to megazorb & I love it, so much lighter & cheaper

Megazorb is great. Some people find it dusty and to have a peculiar smell. I find it to absorb well, a little goes a long way and it controls odour. It's in fine bits and I have to remember to roll my sleeves when putting my hand in the bag or it all sticks to my jumper. The bag is huge and last ages so it's very cost effective. I haven't tried aubiose or Fitch but have heard good things about those too.

I would go for Fitch over Aubiose. Fitch is a soft paper product - very absorbant, dust free and keeps pong to a minimum. Aubiose is designed to keep the top dry and to let any wet pass through to underneath. Therefore you'd need a good absorbant layer underneath it otherwise the floor is very wet.

I've used both and would use Fitch or Megazorb rather than Aubiose or any other hemp based product. However, if I wanted to cover a large area (such as the whole floor of a shed) then I would use Aubiose as it's much cheaper than the other two and a bale lasts ages.

I use magazorb topped with hay...its around £8 for a huge bag and you can get it from agricultural places. My local garden centre order it in for me. It's really absorbent and can be dusty but if you top it with hay it's fine.

I love fitch but ... it goes everywhere. So its newspaper, straw and hay for the litter trays now.

Fitch for me! Well my hammy anyway, it is a cheaper softer form of carefresh. I got mine from amazon.

The buns get puppy pads lining their trays but once I run out I think I might switch to Fitch for them as well.

I found megazorb a bit dusty to be honest.

Fitch is a couple of pounds cheaper if you get it direct from the manufacturer rather than Amazon.

I usually use aubiose and have never had a problem with wet underneaths - in fact that's the reason I like it, it's like a nappy and draws any wetness down to the bottom, leaving the top part nice and dry. No idea how it works, but it does! The only thing I'm not mad keen on is that some bits of it can be quite sharp so it really needs to have some hay or something on top of it. It's certainly very economical, it's only about a tenner for a giant bale about twice the size of the megazorb I was previously using, and much less dusty.

Thanks everyone - think I'm going to have a look at getting some Fitch this weekend, we have a horse and farm shop not too far so going to give them a ring and see if they have any :)

They're based in Stalybridge so not far from you. You get a massive bag for £8.25 which is usually around the £20 mark if delivered.

They're based in Stalybridge so not far from you. You get a massive bag for £8.25 which is usually around the £20 mark if delivered.

Oooh really that's great!! I'm actually only about 20 mins from there and end up going up that way quite a lot so that could work out perfectly :) thanks!

I'm not sure I sometimes get bales of hay and excel from there...here are the details if you want to contact

T W Bowler Limited
Shady Oak Farm,
200 Marple Road,
Offerton,
Stockport,
SK2 5HE
Cattery; 0161 483 3375
Telephone; 0161 487 3363
Haulage; 07710 558 426
Email: Lyndsey@bowlers-stockport.co.uk

Think this one is a little bit closer so might drop them an email and see what their prices are like :) thanks! :)

Back