• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chasing and fur pulling? something in the air?

shannon321

Alpha Buck
I had a search and couldn't find much on this subject.

My buns (neutered and spayed) are doing a fair bit of chasing and fur pulling its been happening on and off for a couple of weeks now and showing no signs on stopping.

The first time i noticed it, i came down in the morning and obviously bun bun (doe) had been on one as there was loads of bobbis fur in there pen, although he had no cuts injuries so they hadn't been fighting.

Now though its bobbi doing all the chasing and i think its mainly as bun bun keeps running away from him which makes him chase her even if hehasn 't tried to hump her or anything.

They stil cuddle up and groom inbetween, i thought they where bored at first so i've tried lots of little things to keep them entertained but it doens't seem to make much difference?

Can't help I'm afraid - just wanted to say we have started having similar problems today. Our two boys were fine (both neutered) until this morning when they have been trying to seriously injure each other - biting and locking on. Had to split up the two-storey hutch so they can live separately - loads of fur flying and had to separate them with my feet as they were going at it so viciously.

The only thing I can think of is that I thoroughly cleaned their hutch on Monday and it has upset them - I didn't disinfect it, but maybe it's not smelly enough now or something. Either that or they were frightened during the night, though the fighting didn't start til 8.30 am this morning.

At least yours are still grooming - it may just be establishing dominance. Ours seem like they would kill each other if they got chance at the moment. Has there been a change in routine or smell that might have upset them?

Last edited:
My boys are also squabbling at the moment. They are fine in their shed but fight in the garden. Fortunately it doesn't last too long. I have had this with them before and it settles down. I do confine them a bit more and that seems to help. If they don't fight in their shed/hutch I would try to keep them together there or it will be difficult to put them together again. Maybe they sense spring, I wish I did!

days are getting longer, spring in in the air :) As long as it's just chasing they should be fine

How strange, I'm having the same problem. Pickle keeps chasing Timmy and I keep finding clumps of Timmy's fur, has been happening for the last few weeks. They are both neutered boys and inbetween chasing are still grooming each other and snuggling. Thing is, Pickle has always been the dominant one, he's such a bossy little bruiser he really doesn't need to enforce his status anymore! :lol:

Kind of puts my mind at rest to hear other people go through stages like this with their bunnies. Fingers crossed it won't advance to proper fighting.

I tried ours together again today. Immediately went for each other, biting and locking on. Had to separate them using my feet and one of them bit me.

The run is attached to the hutch, so one is in the run whilst the other is in locked in the hutch. They then spend all their time trying to get at each other through the wire. I've already had to re-bond them twice - once when they fell out, then again after they were neutered. We thought we had girls, turned out they were both boys - I am thinking keeping two boys is pretty hard work and not the best of pairings .

I am determined to rebond them though, as they are usually very happy together, but I think we'll have a few weeks apart while I put together a cunning plan.

Our two are at it again.

They also seem to be doing a lot more chewing, Polly who at this time of night would normally be running and binkying around like a mad thing is more interested in pulling up the carpet tiles and chewing the edges, and Molly has gone back into the bunnetry and is busily chewing up the grass mat - is that related behaviour ?

My two do this at meal times. As soon as i open the door Amber gets excited and tears about and Ollie will chase after her to nip her. This lasts for a few seconds and then they settle and eat side by side. At other times, they don't bother! They are fine during the day and at other times, just when they think it's food time.

Funnily enough, it was breakfast time when ours fell out. I had gone out to the hutch but had not fed them. 40 mins later they were trying to really hurt each other. I am now wondering if they were hungry, had a bit of a squabble because they thought food was coming, then when it didn't the fighting escalated.

Back