• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing Bunny Diet - A few questions...

Livi

Alpha Buck
I am sorry – I know there are loads & loads of threads on Rabbit Feeds & Nutrition…..and here I am starting another.

My two are currently on P@H Junior & Dwarf Pellets, with unlimited normal hay/P@H Timothy Hay/Excel Dandelion & Marigold. I also top this up with cabbage leaves or brocolli & some slices of carrot, at least every other day – I also have been trying them with a little apple too. Is it bad to have carrot too often? They also have at least 6 hours a day on the grass which they enjoy eating too!

When I got Pip they advised I kept her on the same feed (& told me to give as much as she eats - so they are now both used to eating what I think you would all consider too many pellets:roll: but I am trying to cut this down). I also wanted to keep her diet as stable as possible in the run up to her spaying (which is why she hasn’t tried too many veggies properly yet either).

I started a thread here a few weeks back about changing the pellets I use, as maybe I am being silly but I just feel I should be using an alternate brand to the current ones. I also obviously do plan to step them up from the Junior to the adult feed, but will carry all this out once she has properly recovered from her spay.

So my question is, What to do?! I know that loads of people recommended me Oxbow and I was going to give it a go despite the high cost, But I have been really struggling to source it locally and it is quite pricey.

Allen and Page is another that crops up a fair bit too, but they seem too good to be true at those prices! Science Selective seems to get good reviews also.

So what I am thinking of is giving Allen & Page a go, and possibly if the buns don’t seem overly keen to maybe mix a little Science Selective in with it too? Or is it best to just stick to one type?

So this, teamed with the hay selection – plus veggies….Would this be ok? How much Veg should I be aiming to feed a day, and is it bad that I give them carrot more than 4 days a week?

I know it’s a long winded post, but I just want to give them my best and make sure I am doing things right. If the above Pellets don’t go down well, I will go down the ordering Oxbow online route, but would like to try a slightly cheaper option first.

Thank you all in advance.

Me personally would stick to just one brand of new pellet, whichever is easily accessible to you. Start by adding a few new ones to the old, then gradually increase the new in their feed and decrease their old ones over a 10day period to ensure their tummies are coping with the change. Buns will eat them if they're hungry. Mine have been fine with changes of food.
How old are buns now? I wouldn't free feed pellets once they're 6mnth old but someone else may come along to clarify that.
Feed pellets once a day, don't leave the dish all day. Mine eat theirs within 10mins or so. (Hay is the main part of their diet not pellets), pellets are given as an add on to ensure they're not missing out on fibre/nutrients.
Veggies should be added slowly and a small handful of variation once a day.
I don't give my buns carrot an awful lot tbh, they prob get a small slice prob once a week due to the sugar content.

The more a bun is fed the less hay they'll eat, hay should be available 24hrs, I have a large half moon hanging basket, it gets filled a.m and refilled before I go to bed.

I use Allen and Page and really rate it. Its very high in fibre and gives them lovely golden poops. However I do find I have to use the breeder/grower version in the winter months otherwise they seem to lose weight. I'm guessing its probably because the naturals is fairly low in protien and as outdoor buns they burn alot keeping themelves warm.

Carrots should be fed sparingly because its high in sugar, so I guess it depends how big your slices are. Mine get carrots every day to every other day, but we are talking one or two carrots between 9 buns and 2 piggies so its more of a treat than a staple food.

Hi Livi

Ok I will try and answer all of your questions. Dont feel bad about posting! That is why the forum is here! :D

Feed- Pellets

I would definatly ween them on to another source of pellets, I can not imagine the pets @ home own brand would be very good.
We use Allen and Page and purchase it from someone on the forum at:

http://www.animalmagicpetsupplies.c...n_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=7021437&Page=4

Is on the right page, just scroll down.
Yes a lot of people reccommend Science Selective or Oxbrow well Jimby turned his nose up at those which is why we went for Allen and Page, which I am happy about because for one it has the highest fibre and it is not expensive!
When it comes to changing them over to which ever one you decide, make sure you do it SLOWLEY, bunnies have a bery delicate digestive system which can be upset very easily so jsut start by adding a couple of the new and slowely over a period of at least 2 weeks ween in the new replacing the old.
Amount: You do not mention how old your buns are but as a general rule, it is advised to give an egg cup full (or less) of pellets per day per bun.

Veg:

Yes giving too much carrot is not good for them, carrots are very high in sugar which can easily upset the gut flora so should really only be fed as a treat, once a week at most.
Try opting for more 'leafy' veggies, more like what they would find in the wild examples: Bramble leaves(Blackbery) Dandelion leaves, Flat leaf Parsley, Mint, Basil, Spring Greens...
I would also avoid feeding Broccoli too often as it can be quite gassy so maybe limit to a couple of times a week.
Fruit should not be fed reguarly either, again with the high sugar/acid content it can easily upset the gut flora so I would really advise feeding it no more than every 2 weeks, my two only get fruit maybe once a month if that.
As a general rule the amount of veg should equate to the size of the bunnies head and no more per day.
But again any veg you introduce needs to be done slowley!

I would also look in to switching from the pets @ home timothy hay to be honest, maybe try this:

http://www.animalmagicpetsupplies.c...jectPath=/Shops/BT3336/Products/TImothyHay002

My Jimby loved this one!

Ok I think I have answered everything, any more questions?

Thank you everyone. Really helpful :)

Right, First off, I should have mentioned my rabbits are approx 5 months old.

They have lots of hay which is always available; but they do seem to love the other things that come their way!

No wonder they seem to adore the carrot – its full of sugar :D Better wean them off that too.

I think I will give Allen & Page a go then seeing as it does seem to get some good reviews, I will order it from Animal Magic – Lynne informed me about the 15% discount on your first order too :) so that’s really good, and they donate to a local bunny rescue too – even better!

So; lets get this straight :D ….
Pellets
I am going to purchase Allen & Page, very slowly wean them onto the new pellets, by adding a few pellets to their current pellet mix and gradually increasing & making sure that they don’t get upset tums along the way (will remember the variation come the winter if I am concerned about weight).
In the meantime, I will gradually cut down their pellet amounts as they do generally have a fair bit more than just an egg cup full per day.

Veggies & Fruit
Cut down on carrots, a slice or two a week at the very most – but not advisable as too much sugar.
Fruit is ok, but only in moderation, every fortnight or so just as a treat.
Increase the ‘Leafy Veg’ intake, and portion wise, it should be approximately the size of the rabbits head – no more.

So the final result will hopefully be, they continue to enjoy their hay & eat loads of it, they have an egg cup full of Allen & Page Pellets a day each, they have a bundle of leafy veggies, with the odd other bit thrown in. Then as a treat, every week/ fortnight or so; carrot in moderation & maybe some fruit. Hows that sound?

Obviously I know its not a science & I will need to monitor how they react to the new diets and adjust accordingly – but that’s the plan :D

Back