• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chances of bonding four buns - 3 male - 1 female?

Confused_bun

Warren Scout
So, I've been offered 2 bunnies, from an accidental litter (from pet shop buns sold as two girls but actually boy and girl).

The person is a neighbour of my brother and their accidental litter resulted in two little nethie type boys, that are now 6 months. The buns live together happily despite not yet being neutered. The owner has been trying to sell them for months, but no one is interested. she obviously had to resort to buying another hutch for them, but couldn't really afford one, so they are currently living in a cheap, tiny 3x1.5ft hutch.

I'm really, really struggling to say no. I could give them more than they have / than a lot of buns have but not to minimum standards (i.e. 4x2 indoor double cage but with only very limited free range time and no space for a permanently attached pen), I don't think this is very fair and my current buns became outdoor buns when we moved here because of not being able to attach their pen to their indoor cage, however it is still better than the tiny 3x1.5ft hutch these boys have got. But then I also keep thinking if there was some chance (after neutering) that I could bond them with my current m/f pair of netherlands (who have currently have over 63sq ft) that it would be ok and I could possibly add some additional run space. What are the chances of bonding four buns (3boys and 1 girl)? I'm prepared for it to be very difficult and to take a long time. My female is the dominant and my male bun is quite submissive, I'm also thinking that these boys are probably quite docile if they can still live together unneutered at 6 months. Do you think another two boys could work? What would you do?

Oh and also although my boy is submissive he isn't a bun who grooms much and my girl often humps him over it and ends up spending a lot of time grooming herself. They do snuggle up lots though.

Sorry that's a bit long winded but I really don't know what to do. :? I'm completely torn over it.

Would you have room in your garden for an extra set up if the bonding didnt work?

Do you want four rabbits?

I would find it hard to resist rabbits that I 'knew' but it has to be right for your two as well.

The only way you will know if it would work would be to try it. Lots of expense with neutering the two new boys and getting another set up ...

Good luck.

Back