• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caring for rabbits when disabled

I don't find hay is containable at all. In this house it tracks everywhere, I get a dust pan load everyday from rooms only humans go. Maybe its our fluffy socks or me being careless.
I find exactly this. Our bunnies are outside and the last time they were in the house was over a year ago and there's STILL hay everywhere inside. A hayless house is a bun-less house.

Lastly-pace yourself. Accept that everything may not be clean at the same time and do a different area/task when you are able.
Indeed, one's own standards are one's own nightmare! Of course you'll feel guilty but you're doing your best and it is more than good enough :)

TBH mine only get litter trays changed every 3-4 days (they've got 2 large ones and 1 small) and their outside water gets topped up with the rain (they have 3 bowls, two are outside, one in the house). I actually cleaned the lawn one the other days, but I never use soap unless it's really bad, I just use my fingers to get the algae off (I can feel the bits I can't see). I've never (OK maybe once a year) cleaned their pellet dish if it's not had meds in it, they usually give the bottom a good tongue rasping (or in Lopsy's case, chew :roll:) when they're REALLY desperate (when I start tailing off pellet rations around now).

They did get the hay out easily, the squares were quite large. Yes, the light vs heavy litter is a bit of a quandary but the wood pellets are brilliant, I use them for the goats and they cope with 3 of them doing hose pipe type wees :lol: I would try to see what is best for you in terms of how things can be made easier.
Ooh, that's good to know, that they do get the hay out easily with those hay racks. Those wood pellets must be strong stuff if they can cope with 3 goats! :lol: And, yes, I think I'll do that. Thank you again for the advice.

Yeah, as long as litter is not saturated, it is ok to not clean daily. You can add fresh litter to top too. To dump litter tray take a large bin bag to tray. Put tray in bag before dumping it over. It is less messy than aiming for bin.
Shop vacs are a brand of wet dry vac..
Do not feel bad about asking for help. Perhaps you can return the favor by helping them with less physical tasks. Let helper do it their way-to their standard.
Lastly-pace yourself. Accept that everything may not be clean at the same time and do a different area/task when you are able.
Thank you for your advice, too, bunny momma. I'll keep all those things in mind. I like the idea of returning the favour when my parents help me with cleaning the bunny room by doing something less physical for them. And, you know, I'm normally actually quite good at pacing myself, but when it comes to Sophie and Casper I often push myself because I want to take good care of them. I'll try to be more realistic about what́ I can do and try to pace myself more when it comes to them.

I find exactly this. Our bunnies are outside and the last time they were in the house was over a year ago and there's STILL hay everywhere inside. A hayless house is a bun-less house.

Indeed, one's own standards are one's own nightmare! Of course you'll feel guilty but you're doing your best and it is more than good enough :)

TBH mine only get litter trays changed every 3-4 days (they've got 2 large ones and 1 small) and their outside water gets topped up with the rain (they have 3 bowls, two are outside, one in the house). I actually cleaned the lawn one the other days, but I never use soap unless it's really bad, I just use my fingers to get the algae off (I can feel the bits I can't see). I've never (OK maybe once a year) cleaned their pellet dish if it's not had meds in it, they usually give the bottom a good tongue rasping (or in Lopsy's case, chew :roll:) when they're REALLY desperate (when I start tailing off pellet rations around now).
That's impressive that you're still finding hay inside after more than a year! Hay just gets everywhere. :lol:

Thank you for saying doing my best is more than good enough, keletkezes, and for telling me about the way you do things, too. It's helpful to hear about how bunnies are still totally okay when their humans don't clean everything every single day.

I use puppy pads as it absorbs everything and it's easy to roll up and dispose of. I also use a huge hamster cage base, which is about 3 to 4 foot long, easier to clean only a few times a week.

I use puppy pads as it absorbs everything and it's easy to roll up and dispose of. I also use a huge hamster cage base, which is about 3 to 4 foot long, easier to clean only a few times a week.
Ooh, you use puppy pads as well... They do seem very practical. Having a really big litter tray so you only have to clean it a couple of times a week sounds handy, too. I thought that even big litter trays needed to be cleaned every day, but from what everybody's been saying it sounds like that's totally not necessary... Thank you for your reply, too, BYB.

Back