• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cardboard box fortress idea...

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
So,
We are going away for 4 days and Mum has kindly volunteered to help with Neo as she works just over the road, and doesn't mind popping in on the weekend as she only lives 5 mins away.

We live locally to some shops that have large tubes, boxes, etc, that have no home and just get thrown away.

As we are leaving him for so long on his own, we wanted to make something to amuse and occupy him. He LOVES normal boxes, chewing them up and stripping them, digging in the corners and making his own holes, so we thought what better way to create something than with cardboard tubes and some boxes - a little along the lines of the P@H cardboard castle.

The issue is attaching them... We could push the tubes into tight holes to wedge them in but I don't think they'd stay there very long.

Options I've thought about...
Cable ties
String - non coloured
Garden wire, the plastic covered stuff

Not entirely sure on what would be the safest. He likes to chew string but hasn't generally chewed at anything plastic to do any damage other than a few teeth scrape marks.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

I made one of these awhile ago for my bunnies, I used children glue so it was non toxic and only tiny amouts so it was just stuck together
I cut the little windows and a door and then stuck some toilet roll tubes standing up with a layer of cardboard on top so they could just on to there and then into the whole on the next level
My rabbits had so much fun with it, and it cost me nothing (I will never pay £15 for cardboard...ever!) And it was practically the same thing
Only problem was they had a tissue box filled with hay in theirs and where id taken thw cellotape off the boxes, when I tried to move it the bottom would collapse and all the hay would fall out :lol: :roll:

Go ahead and make it, mines in the bin now from how much it got destroyed and if you can save £15 and still give your bunnies the same fun they'd be getting from that but for free then do it!
Enjoy your DIY project;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

We've spent an hour zipping around different shops and sneaking behind their buildings to get to the boxes.
We got about 20, and some pretty thick carpet roll tube.

I've not managed to find any non or low toxic glue, so I'm back to square one.
Would normal PVA used really sparingly be fine? I don't want to risk him getting sick. I just don't know how to attach stuff together :(

We've spent an hour zipping around different shops and sneaking behind their buildings to get to the boxes.
We got about 20, and some pretty thick carpet roll tube.

I've not managed to find any non or low toxic glue, so I'm back to square one.
Would normal PVA used really sparingly be fine? I don't want to risk him getting sick. I just don't know how to attach stuff together :(

I did use PVA glue that was targeted for children, so its not toxic!
But it should still be used really sparingly!:)
And make sure its completely dry before giving it to your buns, I put really heavy books ontop of mine overnight so it was held down to stick and dry :)

I did use PVA glue that was targeted for children, so its not toxic!
But it should still be used really sparingly!:)
And make sure its completely dry before giving it to your buns, I put really heavy books ontop of mine overnight so it was held down to stick and dry :)

I've not found any that's targeted it children, all we found was PVA sold by B&Q which is for wallpaper and all sorts, but doesng mention crafts, says to avoid contact with skin too.
Don't know what the best thing to do it. Maybe I can try Tesco for their craft section, see if they have any!

I've not found any that's targeted it children, all we found was PVA sold by B&Q which is for wallpaper and all sorts, but doesng mention crafts, says to avoid contact with skin too.
Don't know what the best thing to do it. Maybe I can try Tesco for their craft section, see if they have any!

My pva glue is from tescos, its the children's one from the children/craft isle:)

Back