• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone see an issue with using this stuff?

It's not something that I would use, because I wouldn't want to use anything that toxic anywhere here, unless it was absolutely necessary. I expect many people wouldn't have a problem with it, if all the safety precautions are taken and I get that it will be used externally outside of the accommodation and the rabbits will be inside. Description does say 'deep penetration', but then what does that actually mean?

I can't say it would definitely be a danger to the rabbits, but it's not very environmentally friendly.

It's not something that I would use, because I wouldn't want to use anything that toxic anywhere here, unless it was absolutely necessary. I expect many people wouldn't have a problem with it, if all the safety precautions are taken and I get that it will be used externally outside of the accommodation and the rabbits will be inside. Description does say 'deep penetration', but then what does that actually mean?

I can't say it would definitely be a danger to the rabbits, but it's not very environmentally friendly.
Yea it's what the people making my shed thingy use

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Perhaps have a chat with them and ask if they would be prepared to use a different product without the nasties.
Like what tho? I'd probably have to provide it

Depends what you're wanting to do. If you want to prevent fungus and insects harming the wood, then what they are using, or other similar products, will do the job. I would use an oil to prevent the wood from being damaged by the weather.

I think we used Tung Oil on our oak front door. The company Osmo is another possibility, although I don't know what their products contain.

Depends what you're wanting to do. If you want to prevent fungus and insects harming the wood, then what they are using, or other similar products, will do the job. I would use an oil to prevent the wood from being damaged by the weather.

I think we used Tung Oil on our oak front door. The company Osmo is another possibility, although I don't know what their products contain.
I'm not sure I really care tbh, I just need to get it sorted but without murdering anyone in the process. I've no idea if fungus or insects are an issue tbh this will be the first shed I've ever bought so never had to consider any of this before. I don't often see sheds covered in insects and fungus? Is that a real issue? Or is everyone using this type of stuff? I was originally going to paint it but I'm not sure now. I'll Google that stuff thanks, is that bun safe what you used?

Oh I nearly used osmo for my oak staircase but didn't in the end, I used just an oil I forget the name

I think Tung oil is non-toxic.

Lichens, fungus and insects could be a problem outside for wood, although not an issue that I've ever had. I'm not sure but I expect the insects would be wood-boring and you'd not see them until there was a problem.

You should probably wait for comments from people with more experience of the exact issue, ie how necessary is it actually to protect wood with products like this. I just go with the fact that I would not use anything like this. In the same way as I would not use a pesticide or fungicide on vegetables.

I think Osmo do a full range of oils. I was looking at them a while back for worktops.

I've used stuff like that before on hutches. Just allow plenty of time for it to dry and for the smell to go, as it's spirit based - so maybe a couple of weeks. It definitely works better as a preservative on wood that's outside. Water-based stuff doesn't last nearly as well, and I've had a lot of practice with different stuff on an awful lot of fencing as well as sheds & hutches. You can always use water-based paint on the inside wood, if they are likely to chew it, and use on the floor but cover with eg lino.

I've used stuff like that before on hutches. Just allow plenty of time for it to dry and for the smell to go, as it's spirit based - so maybe a couple of weeks. It definitely works better as a preservative on wood that's outside. Water-based stuff doesn't last nearly as well, and I've had a lot of practice with different stuff on an awful lot of fencing as well as sheds & hutches. You can always use water-based paint on the inside wood, if they are likely to chew it, and use on the floor but cover with eg lino.
Thanks Shimmer! You reckon it's okay if Freddie comes into contact with it?

Once it's dry and doesn't smell, it shouldn't be an issue for casual contact - which is what I assume. How much actual contact will anything furry actually make with the timber that's painted?

Once it's dry and doesn't smell, it shouldn't be an issue for casual contact - which is what I assume. How much actual contact will anything furry actually make with the timber that's painted?
Idk he'll probably sniff it, he sniffs everything [emoji38]

Back