• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone post any tips on laying bases for sheds & runs - photos?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I am new to this so i need to know how to do things quick easy and with the minimum tools as i'm no diy expert. The less to think about the better.

I believe i need sand, slabs of my choice, a spirit level - k that's as far as i've got.

I have slabs just sat in the garden doing nothing so i may as well create some shed bases and get some more accomdation up. I'm going to go for 6 x 4 sheds and i'm going to get some avairy doors - take off the existing and put these on.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ambience xx

I did the same as you and just made it up as I went along. I started in one corner putting a slab down then adding sand underneath in different corners until the spirit level showed it was level. Then I moved on to the slab next to it. Didn't do a great job, but the shed is still standing :)

I was lucky because the patio slabs I bought from Wickes were exactly the right size when laid in a grid of about 6 x 2, so check exactly what size the base needs to be and see if you can get some slabs that will fit exactly.

I laid a 10ft x 6ft base for my kennel all by myself I hasten to add. Hubby was still having a hissy fit about me bringing more bunnies home :lol: so I just got on with it, determined to 'show him' I didn't need his help!!!

My garden is on a slight slope so I had to dig all the turf up, create some shuttering with cheap timber and then level the ground up with the shed base mixture. I bought a patio/shed base mixture from B&Q and just filled the area I wanted slabbed then one by one, laid each slab level. I did a pretty fine job of it too, even if I say so myself :lol:. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of just the base but this is the finished kennel sat on it :-

25042008222-2.jpg

we just made a frame out of 3 x 2 timber treated ,aking it same size as shed making sure we had cross bearers for strength then screwed some MDF sheets for floor then stapled some spare weed block underneath and laid it straight on lawn our lawn was unlevel so he had few broken slabs he shoved in each corner to level it out use spirit level job done not hoing to be much weight in there really so we were both happy it was stable and didnt wobble or slope anywhere :wave:

as you can see from inside the shed we had given us had no floor so this base gave an instant floor which he screwed and bolted the panels to it i will then lino next weekend

DSCF3366.jpg

Back