• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

caging issue

byl

New Kit
Hi.

So, here I go. I have a baby mini lop, he's about 3 months old now. He's generally a good bunny, but as of late he's been getting somewhat rambunctious. I set up his cage in my bedroom, as that is the warmest place in the house during the winter and as of last week i've been getting no sleep. I should mention that prior to this past week, he was very good.
Here's the problem...He continuously bites on the wires of his cage as if to get attention. As soon i look at him, he stops biting and as soon as I turn away, he starts at it again. The problem is that he starts going at it at 4 A.M and the noise is excruciatingly loud!!!!! I thought that his old cage was getting a bit small, so to get him more comfortable I went and purchased a cage in which i can stretch out 3 of him on the floor and he can stand up comfortably with 4-5" left to the top. But he keeps biting on the cage.
He gets plenty of running time, as he's out for about 1.5 hours in the morning and then I put him in his cage when we're all at work during the day and let him run around from 6pm to about 11:30pm when we're off to sleep.
I really don't know what to do! I'm contemplating on keeping him in the cage during the day and letting him out of the cage at night, as he's been pretty good in the new cage with potty training. But i'm a bit uneasy as he's so young and would hate for something to go wrong when I'm asleep (especially considering that he's gotten into a habbit of jumping on the bed).
Any suggestions as to what can be done to stop this behavior or anything else i should consider? I could move him into the livingroom on the floor below far from any ears, but its a much colder place now that winter is fast approaching.
Please, help!!!

4 am primetime

Generally speaking 4am is prime playing time for most bunnies so inevitably he will crave attention. I would probably suggest finding a room or larger area of the house to let him run free. He sounds like he's litter trained and as long as you check for potential problems (cables, plants and furniture you really don't want chewed!) he should be okay. Bunnies are very sociable (as I'm sure you know!) so it might be worth considering a neutering and bonding him with another rabbit. Lots of enrivchment such as scatter feedng and willow sticks will keep him happy, but generally speaking rabbits will appreciate more company.

Hope this helps and good luck :)

Back