• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny safe, chew proof flooring? Must be non-slip!

jazxo

Mama Doe
Long time no see RU!

My set up at the moment is a bit of my bedroom sectioned off with puppy pen panels. The flooring I have is interlocking foam mats and that worked perfectly until I got Frank. He chews EVERYTHING and has completely ruined in. The other 3 bunnies I've had on it never touched it. I want to give them more space so I wanted to just give them the whole room. It'll be fairly easy to bunny proof apart from the floor. The floor is currently carpet but Frank chews that and it's not at all easy to clean/sweep.

So basically what I'm asking is, does anyone know what I could use as flooring for my whole room that is non-slip (no lino, still too slippy as Frank has 3 legs) and chew proof?

I've already considered rubber stable matting but it's really expensive and very unsightly :lol:

Oh dear, very difficult. I would have suggested rubber stable matting as that's very non slip, and I have that in the shed for my outdoor pair, but as you say it wouldn't look very good inside :lol: if you look up rubber flooring on ebay you can get rolls in different patterns and colours, not sure if you could find any that would do. I don't have any experience with tripod bunnies though, so I don't know if it would suit.

Hello jazxo! I wish I had some advice but I'm in the same boat...bunnies who don't do lino but carpet isn't an option either. I've tried old towels and rubber bath mats over hard flooring as well but that just invites a chew fest. :( Will be interested to see what is suggested here.

I did want to say hello though and welcome back! :wave: I've been wondering how you and your three have been doing. :) xxxx

Aw hello!! Lovely to hear from you [emoji4] I'll let you know how the searching goes.

Myself and my three are good thanks. I've had a lot going on personally but I'll hopefully be on here more now. I hope you're well xxxx

What's under your carpet? You could leave it as bare boards and then just have a rug/mat to cover a section or even go for a big tray (concrete mixing trays about 1m square) with hay in.

Thanks Tamsin :) I did think of this but I think he would also chew the wood :/ i also think he would still slip. I guess I could put those metal trims around the edges? I was planning on having a huge rug and I have an indoor cage base as a litter tray. I'll definitely consider it

It depends how your floor is made but I would guess bare floorboards would be quite hard to get at easily - if you've got skirting boards they are usually over the edge of the floorboards. If you do find he take a fancy to a corner (which seems like bunnies fav spot to start chewing/digging) then you could pop a heavy tile/paving slab in just that corner.

Safety flooring is like lino but tougher and non slip - you would need a flat surface for it. So if you've got planks as your floor boards you'd probably need something over the top eg the tongue n groove chipboard sheets. If you're doing that though, you could just leave the chipboard and maybe give it a coat of paint to make it look snazzier.

Back