• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing my bunnies home

Toffs and Pebbs

Warren Scout
Hi all

My bunnies have a pretty good home but its not near perfection so I would like to know how I can improve it. I can't spend loads of money on it and would not like to. I am considering getting a small runaround for my bunnies but im still thinking about digging.

A couple of problems that i have run into is:
Digging
Foxes(we have seen some in my garden)

If we could avoid these in any way please let me know

Thanks
772539510bc71aea2184682808d9d57f.jpg
8debb4fac071a94e232b04b01cc56d19.jpg
d82d7894d2a0dcb63579a71f29d1f557.jpg
485638b57fd99ed9f95f3098c4628095.jpg

P.S the rabbits have dug and in some places the dirt has went over the chicken wire and the logs are to cover areas they have decided to dig before.

Last edited:
Hi all

My bunnies have a pretty good home but its not near perfection so I would like to know how I can improve it. I can't spend loads of money on it and would not like to. I am considering getting a small runaround for my bunnies but im still thinking about digging.

Digging

Thanks

The cheapest way I can think to solve it, is to dig down under the run and place wire under the grass to prevent digging & predators from getting in.
The other way I can think which may be easier, is to place the run onto slabs/concrete base and providing trays of grass.

I have placed chicken wire on the bottem of the run/hutch thing I've got and I woke up one day and toffee was under the wire digging although they have stopped doing that I'm worried it will start again when I purchase a runaround I probably wont put wire down there or should I?? And I would let them go onto the pavement but my mum doesnt agree and our grass is cut all the time:evil: and so it would be hard to get them fresh daily grass all the time a lot of it without going for a long walk everyday to pick some.

You could buy some concrete slabs especially for the run and tunnel.

Hopefully someone else can explain the wire mesh under the run in a way that will prevent the buns escaping. I know the theory but I can't explain it well

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi all

Digging

Thanks
772539510bc71aea2184682808d9d57f.jpg
8debb4fac071a94e232b04b01cc56d19.jpg
d82d7894d2a0dcb63579a71f29d1f557.jpg
485638b57fd99ed9f95f3098c4628095.jpg

P.S the rabbits have dug and in some places the dirt has went over the chicken wire and the logs are to cover areas they have decided to dig before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, your garden looks lovely :)

I have a similar hutch/run, which we are going to be connecting to another 12ftx6ft run via a tunnel.

My buns are crazy diggers and when we had the hutch/run just on grass they would try digging their way out constantly. I ended up creating a base for it. We bought three wooden bearers and a large piece of ply, which we covered with Lino and then put the hutch/run on top.

I thought it might be a temporary solution, but months later it's still going strong. I don't know if this helps at all.

Otherwise as dp said, you might need to think about slabs or wire underneath. Fortunately we don't have any foxes around here, but as you do you might need something more substantial. My solution only solved the rabbits digging out problem x

Hi, your garden looks lovely :)

I have a similar hutch/run, which we are going to be connecting to another 12ftx6ft run via a tunnel.

My buns are crazy diggers and when we had the hutch/run just on grass they would try digging their way out constantly. I ended up creating a base for it. We bought three wooden bearers and a large piece of ply, which we covered with Lino and then put the hutch/run on top.

I thought it might be a temporary solution, but months later it's still going strong. I don't know if this helps at all.

Otherwise as dp said, you might need to think about slabs or wire underneath. Fortunately we don't have any foxes around here, but as you do you might need something more substantial. My solution only solved the rabbits digging out problem x

Thanks Im sure your garden is as lovely [emoji1]

I've thought up a plan[emoji848][emoji54][emoji362]I will get the runaround and I will put chicken wire under the tunnels and run and see how it goes if they dig under it further I will just find a different way around it thanks for all your help guys.

Hello there! You have a lovely garden there and you could make a super home for your rabbits. I am afraid your current set-up is just not safe enough, if you have foxes coming in. They can easily rip open the wire on the run. Have you got 2 rabbits or can I see another 2?

Thanks Im sure your garden is as lovely [emoji1]

:) We moved here five months ago and the garden is really big, compared to what we had before. A lot of it is taken over with rabbit accommodation :). I should take some photos!

Have you thought about a shed for your buns, so they could be safely shut in at night, if necessary? We have six buns and three of them are going to live in our shed with an attached run when it's ready.

I think I would worry about foxes with your set up, as tonibun said on your duplicate thread, the run probably wouldn't withstand an attack. When you say chicken wire is it actual chicken wire? as it is easily chewed through. The ideal mesh is galvanised weld mesh, 16 or 19 gauge, with 1/2 by 1/2 squares. HTH x

Hello there! You have a lovely garden there and you could make a super home for your rabbits. I am afraid your current set-up is just not safe enough, if you have foxes coming in. They can easily rip open the wire on the run. Have you got 2 rabbits or can I see another 2?

I have got only two rabbits the ears you can see is a hay container thing and how can I improve the current run (or is it the hutch) so foxes can't tear it open and I'm going to get a new run
d698b7cf2b79b676e1ee8580d67768ae.jpg
and hopefully a wooden top to sort the top of it. How can I improve and I would like a superhome for my rabbits but I'm sure my mother might not agree if the price is high[emoji23] but I will try my hardest to give them a great home.[emoji38]

I'm not sure that run in the eBay advert is really what you require.
How large is your current run?
To make a run as fox proof as possible you require a mesh (not chicken wire) with mesh on the underside and the run needs to be firmly fixed to the hutch

Foxes are gaurenteed to get into that run from eBay. It's not to be used when unsupervised (even for a second)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Is a runaround a good idea then cause I would like to give them loads more space but the two runs are no good I'm definatly getting mesh tunnels but where should I get some runs from? The current run is 4ft by 4ft maybe 5ft by 5ft

Have you looked at the examples in the Stickies in the Housing Section?

I looked through that but quickly and I did see all of it but like i have said I'm not an adult and I dont make money myself so my mum would have to pay it or I would have to do a whole lot of chores to get a good home design.

:) We moved here five months ago and the garden is really big, compared to what we had before. A lot of it is taken over with rabbit accommodation :). I should take some photos!

Have you thought about a shed for your buns, so they could be safely shut in at night, if necessary? We have six buns and three of them are going to live in our shed with an attached run when it's ready.

I think I would worry about foxes with your set up, as tonibun said on your duplicate thread, the run probably wouldn't withstand an attack. When you say chicken wire is it actual chicken wire? as it is easily chewed through. The ideal mesh is galvanised weld mesh, 16 or 19 gauge, with 1/2 by 1/2 squares. HTH x

Pictures would be amazing I'm sure your rabbits are super lucky[emoji38]

I would like to give them a shed and a run to go with it but again I'm not an adult[emoji20] and my mum would not like to spend lots of money on my buns although I would[emoji38]ID have to plead with her, wish me luck [emoji39]

And I know i dont think its chicken wire I will look into that mesh and hopefully look into a safe run although they cost (for a good one) about £100 normally for a good one but if u have a cheap good one then please let me know.

Back