• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating :( U/D P20

This morning..... One happy, normal bouncy Peter and an empty food bowl! :D

I'm going to continue to keep a close eye on him, Its still dark at the moment but once it gets light I'm going to get him out and properly check that he feels and looks fine.

Check his poo output too. It is just as important to monitor output as it is input. Often you can pick up on a potential problem BEFORE a Rabbit actually stops eating if you notice poo output to be reduced in size and/or quantity. 'Not eating' is the final stage of a gut problem (whatever the primary cause) so noticing sooner rather than later is always beneficial

I am glad that Peter is feeling better this morning.

Check his poo output too. It is just as important to monitor output as it is input. Often you can pick up on a potential problem BEFORE a Rabbit actually stops eating if you notice poo output to be reduced in size and/or quantity. 'Not eating' is the final stage of a gut problem (whatever the primary cause) so noticing sooner rather than later is always beneficial

I am glad that Peter is feeling better this morning.

Thank you Jacks - Jane :)

I changed Peters litter tray late last night so I could keep an eye on his wee's/Poo's and there was plenty this morning, all looking normal and golden. I've just checked again and there has since been more produced :)

I've just refilled his hay rack and he did his usual and was already pulling it out of my hand before I could get it in :lol:

I'm going to continue to keep a close eye on him

Thank you Jacks - Jane :)

I changed Peters litter tray late last night so I could keep an eye on his wee's/Poo's and there was plenty this morning, all looking normal and golden. I've just checked again and there has since been more produced :)

I've just refilled his hay rack and he did his usual and was already pulling it out of my hand before I could get it in :lol:

I'm going to continue to keep a close eye on him

That's great :D

He had eaten everything in his food bowl (all pellets and parsley) by 6am and he has since eaten a small amount portion of herbs and some hay, so he is now eating normally.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great :D

Thank you, I'm so relieved.

I'm wondering whether we frightened him with the torch :( I think I might go down to homebase to get one of those night lights that you can push so if I need to go and check him / feed him in the dark I can see what I'm doing without dazzling him.

Thank you, I'm so relieved.

I'm wondering whether we frightened him with the torch :( I think I might go down to homebase to get one of those night lights that you can push so if I need to go and check him / feed him in the dark I can see what I'm doing without dazzling him.

Yes, the torch could have alarmed him. Either that or there may have been a predator about (Fox/Cat)

Yes, the torch could have alarmed him. Either that or there may have been a predator about (Fox/Cat)

Oh thats a point :( We do have cats either side of our house - Peter see's them everyday - and I've never seen a fox in our area but that is a possibility I suppose. I normally cover Peters hutch (clearish tarpaulin) after I give him his pellets so normally once it turns dark he is sheltered away but last night it was dark before I got him covered, perhaps he saw something he didnt like :cry:

Back