• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny heart :(

Hi everyone, Sweep isn’t doing good again. He’s mouth breathing. I just don’t know what to do anymore :( the vet changed his tablets to libeo tablets the other day. I’ve no idea what’s going on with him. I’m sure it’s his gut :/ his poops always go really tiny and then he stood eating, starts mouth breathing. I’ve given him metacam, ranitidine, simethicone and some syringe food. Do rabbits guts slow down as they get older?

:cry: I would ask the vet, is your vet rabbit savvy? There should be someone there out of hours. I’m afraid mouth breathing would be considered serious although I’ve not had experience of it. Topping up the vibes xx

:cry: I would ask the vet, is your vet rabbit savvy? There should be someone there out of hours. I’m afraid mouth breathing would be considered serious although I’ve not had experience of it. Topping up the vibes xx

Hi, we have a rabbit savvy vet, we travel longer than we’d like to see them. There’s no petrol in the car to go see them, we live quite rural. I’m sure it’s his stomach, or something, or even a tooth. Thank you for the vibes. My heart is breaking. Xx

Hi, we have a rabbit savvy vet, we travel longer than we’d like to see them. There’s no petrol in the car to go see them, we live quite rural. I’m sure it’s his stomach, or something, or even a tooth. Thank you for the vibes. My heart is breaking. Xx

Sadly mouth breathing is a very poor prognostic sign :cry: It indicates that he is not able to get enough oxygen into his lungs :cry: Libeo is just a brand name for furosemide, the same drug he was already on

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-448399

Maybe the Vet increased the dose ??

As I think I mentioned before there are other medication which can be used to treat Heart Failure

I am sorry to hear that Sweep has been diagnosed with Congestive Heart failure. I have had numerous Rabbits with Heart problems over the years. Depending on the specific problem with the heart there are some medications which can help reduce the symptoms and buy the Rabbit more time. Although of course the condition cannot be cured. These links may provide you with some useful information

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cardiology/Failure/congestive.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cardiology/Failure/Cong_heart_en.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CongestiveHeartFailureRabbit.htm

I have access to some further information, but I cannot post it on a Public Forum as it is Copyright protected. I could email it to you as a pdf file if you would like to read it. The information comes from an Exotics Veterinary Educational Source.

Have you discussed this with the Vet ?

GI tract slow down is likely to be a secondary symptom to his heart problems. He is probably feeling more poorly now.

I would call the Vet this morning to seek more advice

Sending lots of vibes xx

Sorry to hear that Sweep has took a turn for the worse, really hope the vet can help him. Sending lots of vibes for your your little man xxx

Back